Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's Rock.. and a little bit of roll

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

My home scales were way off last year - ended up being 2-3kg lighter than I thought.

Gonna bring them with me this year and calibrate them after I weigh in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

podge57 wrote: »
    My home scales were way off last year - ended up being 2-3kg lighter than I thought.

Gonna bring them with me this year and calibrate them after I weigh in

I put a 20kg plate on them last week and they are accurate enough..

Really just want to see if there is any major difference between morning and night. Once I'm under 90kg each mornin after breakfast I'm happy!

IDFPA Single Lifts

Squat

Bench
    110 MISS..:mad:

Deadlift
    170 MISS

Weighed in at 88.5kg, was worried about the weight during the week so didn't go too mad Thurs/Fri. Had a small breakfast on the morning too just to make sure.

Happy with how the squats went. The 140 didn't feel or look great, but then the 145 was better?:confused: Weird. 150 is on the cards anyway. Both are PBs too...

Really f*cked off with the bench. My dad has it on his camera phone and I am so close to locking it out. Really don't know how I missed it. Both 100 and 105 felt grand. More work to be done here.

The 170 was quick off the floor but just completely died on me, would have been a nice lift to finish off the day with but it wasn't to be. 162.5 is a 10kg comp PB:pac: Happy enough with it, absolutely no deadlift training for the past 3/4 months and it is slowly moving so with a bit of work it should come up.

Great to meet some of the lads from boards, great day all in all.

Now to decide my training for the National Champs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

im seriously thinking smolov for squat and coan philipi deads and 5/3/1 for bench and press, just for the hell of it

im seriously thinking smolov for squat and coan philipi deads and 5/3/1 for bench and press, just for the hell of it

I'll go back to 531 for the squat, don't think I could run that again so soon. Although I will be adding in some squat volume to 531.

I'm defo thinking Coan for deads.

531 for bench and then 4 weeks out I'm going to run Smolov on it to get another 2.5kg on to my bench:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

ive been searching up on smolov for the last while, looks soo good! 5x7 day looks a treat :D

ive been searching up on smolov for the last while, looks soo good! 5x7 day looks a treat :D

When you do it you won't say it's good:D

The 4x9 and 5x7 days are okay.. high reps but short sets. Its the 7x5 and 10x3 days that are the real test. For me anyway.

It is deffo worth doing tho.

I could possibly run the Intense cycle too. It would bring me right into March....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

Well done Brutus!

Great squatting. You will get that 110 bench soon :D

I have videos of two of your squats - 1st and 3rd I think

Vid of the 110 miss..

That was so close...

Not sure what the more experienced lifters think, but it looked to me like you lowered it a bit fast?

Will post your squat vids in the next few minutes :)

• Advertisement

Cheers for that man!!!

Re bench, not too sure really. Maybe I didn't stay tight enough at the bottom. Annoying but I'll get it.... eventually:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

Nice meeting you yesterday. Squats looked really solid and that bench was extremely close.

Im sure you'll have no problem with the 110 bench and 170 DL by March

podge57 wrote: »
    Nice meeting you yesterday. Squats looked really solid and that bench was extremely close.

Im sure you'll have no problem with the 110 bench and 170 DL by March

Nice meeting you too man cheers.

Hopefully they will be easy meet by then!

Rough Plan Time.

Bench: I'm going to stick with 531.. I'm not going to reset just going to keep plowing through it. I will get two cycles done and both end with 102.5 and 105 respectively. I'm also going to alter my assistance slightly. I will still do the variations of the chins but I'm going to stop the BBB. DB pressing is coming in.. the hercs goes to 70 or 75 (I think) so I'm covered here. Not saying that I'll be using them just that I won't be stuck with no DB over 30kg.. a la Carlisle. And rows of course.. all types.

Press: same as above. Except more and more dips. I might do a 3x5 system with this and also use the BBB. 3-5 sets of 10 to finish it off.

Deadlift: looking into the coan program, most likely going to start it this week. Any input re this program would be good??!

Squat: I'm defo going to finish off Smolov. I can do it two ways. Run a cycle of 531 and then start Smolov on the 21st of Feb. This will bring me right up to the national champs. Or start Smolov on the 8th of Feb and have 2/3 weeks to spare at the end. Not sure I like the idea of the spare weeks.

Think I'll train later too.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭VIS VIRES

Good lifting on saturday,your squat looked soild and the bench was so close..

VIS VIRES wrote: »
    Good lifting on saturday,your squat looked soild and the bench was so close..

Cheers Man..

What did you finish up with in the end.

Cheers Man..

What did you finish up with in the end.

Finished with 195 squat 112.5 bench and 250 DL..pretty disappointed with the bench but i just wasnt feeling it on the day...

VIS VIRES wrote: »
    Finished with 195 squat 112.5 bench and 250 DL..pretty disappointed with the bench but i just wasnt feeling it on the day...

Very impressive man. 250 deadlift is sick!!

You just have to start working on having an even bench lockout:pac:

I thought they were harsh enough on your second bench, but you hit it fairly easy second time around.

Yeah i'm going to really hit the bench before the nationals..

• Advertisement

Tonight

Power Cleans

40kg x 3
    50kg x 3
    60kg x 3 x 2

Deadlifts
    Sumo
    60kg x 2
    80kg x 2
    100kg x 1
    110kg x 1
    130kg x 1
    142.5kg x 2 x 1

Speed Pulls Conv
    110kg x 3 x 8

SLDL
    70kg x 8 x 2
    Superset w/
    Chins.. loads of 5s.

Deadlift felt good, double o/h grip up to 130. Need to work on my sumo technique. Got some tips from one of the lads on Saturday.

Gonna have to figure out a way to get this giant superset to work in my garage gym...

Probably bench in the club tomorrow. Squat and Press on Wednesday. Won't be able to train Thurs-Sun hence the squeeze.

Oh and VIS VIRES get a log up man, would be cool to see how your training goes!

531 Cycle 4 Wk 1 Day 1

Band Pull Aparts

Bench

60kg x 5

70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    92.5kg x 8

DB Bench
    30kg x 8 x 3
    Switch to Fat Bar
    35kg x 4 x 2

Rows
    90 x 10
    100x 10 x 3
    70 x 12

Lat Pull Downs
    10 x 3.. 6 pins from the bottom.

Bench felt okaay.. 8 reps is a PB I believe. I've only gone and deleted my old 531 spreadsheet so I'll have to use the log as history.

DB bench with the Fat bars was awkward. Felt good to do some different pressing though.

Rows and pull downs were strong.

Prob going to have to Squat at lunch tmrw and press too if I can... fun times.

531 Wk 1 D2 Cycle 4

Squats

Bar x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 3

90kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    110kg x 5

Military Press

30kg x 5

40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    55kg x 9

My legs are feeling very heavy atm so I just did the prescribed reps. Felt good and strong tho.

Had a bit of time so did the press too. 55kg x 9 is PB I think. 9th rep was a grinder but those are the ones that count.

Won't get to train till next Monday. Deadlift then.

Power Cleaning

40kg x 2 x 2
    50kg x 2 x 2
    60kg x 2
    70kg x 2 x 3
    80kg x 1

50kg x 3 x 2

Managed to squeeze this in this morning before heading off. Fockin delighted with the 80kg power clean. A couple of weeks ago I missed this in the Hercs when fresh. So hitting it hungover is nice!!

I have the lifts on my cam, if I can ever find the lead I'll get some of the sets up.

Also hitting 70kg for 3 doubles is probably in PB territory too.

Power Cleans

40kg x 2 x 2
    50kg x 2 x 2
    60kg x 2
    72.5kg x 2 x 4
    60kg x many singles

Chins: sets of 5 in between each clean.

Pull Ups
    +3.75kg x 5 x 3

I think I'm in love with power cleans. Probably going to do them twice a week from now on.

Pull ups weren't too hard.. weight was light but this is a very long term thing I'm working on.

John Farnham is a hero.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

John Farnham is a hero.

The amount of randomness out of you yesterday was incredible.

Hanley wrote: »
    The amount of randomness out of you yesterday was incredible.

If only I had some of the epic action on camera:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If only I had some of the epic action on camera:p

What... there wasn't a camera was there???!!??!? I'm not talking about You're The Voice here!

Hanley wrote: »
    What... there wasn't a camera was there???!!??!? I'm not talking about You're The Voice here!

Wrong random:p

I completely forgot about that!! That was extremely funny..It's not every day someone recognises you Youtube:pac:

• Advertisement

Coan Day 2

Deadlift

Worked up in doubles to 120 with double o/h grip.
    130 x 1
    140 x 1
    152.5kg x 2

Speed Pulls Conv
    122.5kg x 3 x 4
    110kg x 3 x 4

8x3 of..
    SLDL 70KG
    Chins

152.5kg for a double is a decent PB. Felt tough though, the past 4 days of boozin has caught up on me. I'll bench tomorrow then take wednesday off. Lashed into the session straight after work just to make sure I flew through it!!

My "speed pulls" are shocking. With the 122.5kg the speed was horrible. Dropped back to 110 and they were okay. Needs alot of work!

Advertisement