Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's Rock.. and a little bit of roll

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

Today

Was taken through the Olymic Lifts and shown a feckin heap of exercises to increase flexibility. Pretty much spent over an hour doing all this.... turns out I've the flexibility of an ironing board...

Overhead squat: practiced this a good bit. With no warmup I can barely get into the squat but it improved.. well slightly. I'm coming forward though so hip/hamstring/knee/ankle mobility all needs to be improved. Have a few exercises that I'm just going to do any free second I have!

Looking forward to bench tomorrow!

do they do oly classes and stuff like that in hercs, i wouldn't mind getting some proper instruction, seems a class gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

bigstar wrote: »
    do they do oly classes and stuff like that in hercs, i wouldn't mind getting some proper instruction, seems a class gym.

I'm not sure tbh.. I think it is more that some of the lads take time from their own session to show you.

But then again I could be wrong.. I'm only there a wet day!

ME Upper

Bench
    50kg x 15
    60kg x 8
    70kg x 8
    80kg x 8
    90kg x 5 x 2
    95kg x 3
    100kg x 2
    60kg x 15
    80kg x 10 x 2

Pull Ups

DB Row + DB Bench
    Not too sure about the weights used here tbh.. used different DBs too, skinny bar and thickish bar..Lots of sets!

Row (Small Handle)
    60 x 8
    70 x 8 x 3
    Change to Bar-Row
    60 x 12
    65 x 12

Dips
    10, 10

Lat Pull Down (Different Handle)
    55kg x 12
    60kg x 12
    65kg x 12

Face Pull
    20kg x 10
    25kg x 10

One Arm Row Machine
    25kg each side... 3 sets of 10.

Got used to the bench after a few sets, not feeling the maywest but was happy with 100 x 2. Reckon I'm still behind on upperback/lat strength though, so got through a fair bit of volume for it.

ME Lower

60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    105kg x 3
    110kg x 4
    100kg x 10

Front Squat
    50kg x 10
    60kg x 5 x 3

Leg Press
    100kg x 12 x 2
    150kg x 10 x 2
    170kg x 5 x 5
    150kg x 10

Tried using the hack squat machine.. felt a bit weird so I might have a bash at it on RE day..

Leg Curl
    ?? x 12 x 3

Hammer Curl
    30kg x 10 x 3

Pull Ups

Dips

Row/Lat Pull Down
    3 sets of 12 on each, supersetted and with light weight.

10 Mins ab/mobility on the mats.

Curls to finish it off..
    20kg x 10
    25kg x 8 x 2

Squats are going okay, just need to keep plugging away at them.. Think a set of 20 added to the RE day will bring the strength. Front squats are a nice way to loosen up.
    Defo going to have at the hack squat again, think if I get this into the routine it will help the squat.
    This is the Monday session for the next three weeks!!

RE Upper

Seated Partial Shoulder Press .. pins set just at the chin
    50kg x 3
    60kg x 3 x 2
    65kg x 5
    70kg x 3 x 2

Partial Bench.. slight incline..
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    105kg x 6
    110kg x 3 x 2

Pull Ups

Rows
    5 sets of 12

One arm row lever
    25kg x 8
    30kg x 10 x 3

DB Shoulder Press
    25kg x 10
    heavier than 25kg x 12
    Heavier again x 8

Face Pulls/Pushdown
    3 sets of 10 each

WTLs and Seated Power Cleans x loads.

I wanted to do a bit of partial pressing today, just to get a feel for it. Also to get some more weight on the bar too. First time doing the shoulder press seated, will include it in future sessions.
    DB press was good, was pushed through the last few sets by a lad there, hence the 12 reps.
    Might look into some rack pulls on Friday.

• Advertisement

Yesterday, I was shown some more different movements in the Snatch. As I'm still leaning slightly forward I'm going through the split snatch first. Using the bar is a decent step up from the stick! Even from just using the bar and only doing parts of the lift, my upper back and legs are riddled with Doms:eek: Great learning something new aswell!

After that did some deadlifting and rows.

Deadlifting
    Worked up to 125kg x 8.

Pendlay row
    3 sets of 8 with 60kg.

I actually did about 10 sets of the row with the lighter bumber plates just to get the technique right.

Gym Later.

Bench
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5 x 2
    90kg x 3 x 2
    100kg x 1 x 5
    90kg x 4:mad:
    80kg x 8
    Close Grip
    60kg x 12 x 3

Lat Pull Down (to chest)
    Worked to 90kg in sets of 10.

Dips
    10,10, 30

Neutral Grip Pull Ups.. 10 Second rest in between each.

DB Row
    35kg x 8 x 4

YTL's and Seated Cleans

Incline DB Press
    25kg x 12 x 3

DB Raises
    15kg x 10 x 2

Face Pulls
    20kg x 15 x 3

Today's session was brutal, got no food before it and had a crap sleep. Anyway those are the excuses and I'm sticking to them.

Right shoulder is a bit fried, I think heavy pressing on Wednesday and then going at it again today was a bit stupid. Rest tomorrow then back in Monday.

Today

Rack Pulls off second pin
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    120kg x 3
    130kg x 3
    135kg x 3
    140kg x 3
    145kg x 2
    150kg x 2
    160kg x 2 x 2
    100kg x 10 x 2.. snatch grip

GM's
    Bar 12 x 3.. lower back was fried.

Leg Curls
    3 off from full stack
    12 x 3

Leg Press
    Worked up to 180 in 20kg jumps with sets of 10 then..
    180kg x 8 x 3

Ab Pull Down using lat pull down
    30kg x 12 x 3

Hanging leg Raises
    10 x 3

Neutral Chins to loosen out

Loads of ab/core stuff.

First time doing rack pulls, I wasn't sure how they were going to go. I used a double overhand grip right up to pulling 130kg then felt it slip so switched the right hand. I was just hoping that it was over my max today so as far as that goes I'm happy. Not too sure how high it is supposed to be over my max though?!

Leg raises were good, ab stuff was good, pull downs are difficult enough - defo need more ab work.!

Went up for a swim tonight to the world's busiest gym, wtf is going on with the dunne gyms. Anyway..

16 laps in total which is brutal but I will build it back up slowly.. the goal here is 50 laps! Not continuous mind you, just in total.

I do two laps front crawl, then one breast-stroke, breaks it up a bit too.

There was a lucozade promo on in the gym, apparently they are now doing protein drinks!? Got a few free samples, good jaysus it taste like gack. I nearly spewed after it. Anybody else try this??

Train tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

if it was the lucozade one yea, my brother brought me back some from carlisle, i didnt think it was too bad

• Advertisement

if it was the lucozade one yea, my brother brought me back some from carlisle, i didnt think it was too bad

Ah its pants..Tasted like cheap Yazzooo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

yea, yazoos is yum!

Earlier

Shoulder stuff to warm up

DB Bench

35kg? x 12 x 3

Partial CG Bench
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    100kg x 5

Smith Incline
    40kg x 10
    50kg x 10
    60kg x 10
    70kg x 8 x 2
    80kg x 8 x 2

Pull Ups

Lat Pull Down
    Worked to 85kg in sets of 12

Cable row
    Worked to 9 pins away from the full lot in sets of 10.

DB Rows
    35kg x 8 x 3

Did some supersets
    Lat Pull Down/Row/Pull Up

Decent session, will increase weight on each lift next week. Smacked my elbow off the dip bar, don't know why they call it the funny bone. Four hrs later and its still sore!!

Today

Front Squat
    60kg x 5 x 5
    70kg x 5 x 2
    80kg x 5 x 2
    85kg x 3
    60kg x 5 x 3

Squat
    60kg x 10
    70kg x 10 x 3

Leg Press
    100kg x 20
    150kg x 12 x 2

Leg Curl.. 2 Pins from full stack
    8 x 3

Hamstring Curl
    30kg x 8 x 3

Front squat is going okay, I will do it in three more sessions and see if I can can get a decent 3-5 max with it. Elbow still pretty sore so squats were light today.

Need to start focusing on a proper warm up, feeling sore enough now from the session. I'll be back in tomorrow morning to do some light back stuff.

This Morning...

Cleans and also some Power Cleans..

The first thing that was spotted a few weeks ago is that my clean is all arms, so today I just really concentrated on driving from the floor. I probably spent about 30 mins just doing this. The heaviest I went was 50kg, no point in putting weight on the bar when I'm more than likely doing it wrong.

The power cleans were okay, it was more just to get a few of them done while the bar was there.

I practiced the split jerk today too, working on getting the back leg back and coming down into the movement. The movement felt natural, which was surprising, I honestly thought that as soon as I went down into the lift I'd fall over!

Recovering from the lift was okay too today, front foot back back foot forward. I just typed that out so I could repeat it again:).

Also, finally doing up my home gym, going to put a picture up of what it looks like now before the new floor, weights and all the rest of the good stuff that will be going in!

Lunchtime

Floor Press
    Bar x loads
    40kg x 10
    60kg x 8
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 6.. spotter told me to do one more
    90kg x 5
    60kg x 10
    70kg x 8 x 3

Neutral Chins

Tricep Push Downs
    20kg x 15
    25kg x 15 x 5

Weighted Dips
    10kg x 10 x 2
    15kg x 10 x 3

YTLs and all the good shoulder stuff..

Chest Supported Rows
    40 x 12
    50 x 12
    60 x 12
    70 x 12
    80 x 12
    These are pounds I believe, kept the reps high and weight low enough. Its a tough enough exercise on that machine. Middle of my back does be on fire after it.

DB Bench
    35kg x 6 x 3.. meh

Floor presses went okay for the first time doing them. Not sure if I was doing them correctly. Is it as soon as your tricep hits the floor you come up or is just as the elbow hits the floor, as in a greater range of motion. I went with elbow.. Anybody any input?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Lunchtime

Floor Press
    Bar x loads
    40kg x 10
    60kg x 8
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 6.. spotter told me to do one more
    90kg x 5
    60kg x 10
    70kg x 8 x 3

Neutral Chins

Tricep Push Downs
    20kg x 15
    25kg x 15 x 5

Weighted Dips
    10kg x 10 x 2
    15kg x 10 x 3

YTLs and all the good shoulder stuff..

Chest Supported Rows
    40 x 12
    50 x 12
    60 x 12
    70 x 12
    80 x 12
    These are pounds I believe, kept the reps high and weight low enough. Its a tough enough exercise on that machine. Middle of my back does be on fire after it.

DB Bench
    35kg x 6 x 3.. meh

Floor presses went okay for the first time doing them. Not sure if I was doing them correctly. Is it as soon as your tricep hits the floor you come up or is just as the elbow hits the floor, as in a greater range of motion. I went with elbow.. Anybody any input?

I generally just go with tricep, but i dunno if I could actually get my elbow to the floor... If you're comfortable going to your elbows, do so!

Hanley wrote: »
    I generally just go with tricep, but i dunno if I could actually get my elbow to the floor... If you're comfortable going to your elbows, do so!

I felt the exercise tougher going to the elbows so I'll run with that.. cheers dude.

I felt the exercise tougher going to the elbows so I'll run with that.. cheers dude.

No bother!! I'm floor pressing this weekend.. can't wait. I swear.:rolleyes:

No bother!! I'm floor pressing this weekend.. can't wait. I swear.:rolleyes:

Up in the club?

While your there, the weight on the bar for the floor press should be higher than your max bench??

• Advertisement

Up in the club?

While your there, the weight on the bar for the floor press should be higher than your max bench??

Yeah Sunday morning. I'll be squatting on Saturday. Did ya join up?

And yes and no, depends on how you do em...
    -straight legs, elbows to floor = probably not
    -bent legs, triceps to floor = should be

Not sure how my floor press compares to max bench, but I think it was higher.

Yeah Sunday morning. I'll be squatting on Saturday. Did ya join up?

And yes and no, depends on how you do em...
    -straight legs, elbows to floor = probably not
    -bent legs, triceps to floor = should be

Not sure how my floor press compares to max bench, but I think it was higher.

Yeah man, there bout 3 weeks now..it cant be beat

I'll be there Sunday morning myself, must of just missed you yesterday.

Yeah today I was doing the bent legs as it just felt more natural, but doing both can only help.

As it is a partial press, in theory, it should be higher right? Doing the bench lockouts off the pins seems to be the easier of the two. I think the floor press could give me greater cross over. But I'll continue with both for another couple of weeks..

Yeah man, there bout 3 weeks now..it cant be beat

I'll be there Sunday morning myself, must of just missed you yesterday.

Yeah today I was doing the bent legs as it just felt more natural, but doing both can only help.

As it is a partial press, in theory, it should be higher right? Doing the bench lockouts off the pins seems to be the easier of the two. I think the floor press could give me greater cross over. But I'll continue with both for another couple of weeks..

I got in around 11.30-11.45 so ya musta been early!!

I prefer bent legs as well on the floor press tbh.

The difference depends on your weakness... in general tho, yes partial should be higher!! I never really liked pressing out of the rack. Always felt very hit and miss.

Giving serious consideration to using reverse band presses as part of this training cycle up stairs in the power rack!!

I got in around 11.30-11.45 so ya musta been early!!

I prefer bent legs as well on the floor press tbh.

The difference depends on your weakness... in general tho, yes partial should be higher!! I never really liked pressing out of the rack. Always felt very hit and miss.

Giving serious consideration to using reverse band presses as part of this training cycle up stairs in the power rack!!

Yeah there for ten gone for just about 11.45.. Maybe a bit later this time round, depends on how Ireland get on!

I've only done it twice now so I can't say whether it works for me or not. I do like it though.

Reverse band presses, I'd have to see how they can be set up in the power rack upstairs. The power rack is deadly, the amount of crap you can do with a bar and a rack!!

Tonight

Swim

20 lengths..

Up 4 on last weeks swim so minor improvement in the fitness. Each length was done at a sprint, none of that slow crap for me. Will get myself a stopwatch and see how fast they are.

I might start doing an extra swim a week that focuses on slowish continuous lengths. Try and build up some form of endurance.

Back in the gym tomorrow.

Today

Split Cleans

Power Cleans

Hook Grip Power Cleans

Split Jerk

The above by loads. Stopped at 50kg with the cleans, just getting the technique right. Going to take a while.

Finished with Deads to knees
    90kg x 10 x 3

Sumo Pull with toes at plates... ouch
    90kg x 8 x 3

Today's session was good, the hook grip takes a while to get used to. Doesn't feel natural at first but the weight flies up when using it.

Bench stuff tomorrow

I'm movin bench stuff to Sunday..

Hopefully tomorrow some more Oly stuff and a bit of volume on the deadlift.

Swam again tonight, 22 lengths! 2 up, even from just three sessions in the pool the lengths are getting a lot easier.

Plan: eat like a horse, 2 swim sessions a week, 4-5 days weights, more food, some stretching, food... did I mention food.

I'm also thinking of doing a four week squat or deadlift program, maybe at the end of this month. ItsallabouttheL had great success IMO with Smolov Jnr, so I might use that for the deadlift.

I'm movin bench stuff to Sunday..

Haha coming to bench with me so??

I was getting bored of benching on my own while everyone else squats :D:D

Haha coming to bench with me so??

I was getting bored of benching on my own while everyone else squats :D:D

Ha yeah man I'll be there, I need to get a decent bench session done..

Probably get up for there for half eleven ?

• Advertisement

Ha yeah man I'll be there, I need to get a decent bench session done..

Probably get up for there for half eleven ?

Haha coolers.

I usually arrive in about 11.30 but by the time I get stretched and do all my warm up crap it's 11.50ish before I'm actually benching. Starting on floor presses this week anyway!

Advertisement