Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's Rock.. and a little bit of roll

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

Hanley wrote: »
    Haha coolers.

I usually arrive in about 11.30 but by the time I get stretched and do all my warm up crap it's 11.50ish before I'm actually benching. Starting on floor presses this week anyway!

Ah yeah sure I'll prob be in a bit earlier doing similar crap! Floor presses ftw:D

Today

Squat
    60kg x 10
    80kg x 10 x 5
    60kg x 10 x 5.. closeish stance to a below parallel box.

Toes at plates deadlift
    60kg x 10
    80kg x 10 x 3

Sumo
    100kg x 6 x 6

GMs
    Bar x 10 x 2.. more of a stretch than anything
    40kg x 10

Rows (pounds)
    80 x 10
    90 x 10
    100 x 10
    110 x 10

Squats were okay, not pushing it today. Will do that tomorrow. Deadlifts felt good, nice stretch on the ultra wides. I was focked after them too, the 100kg sumo reps were a killer:eek:

Today

Deadlift off Pin 1

60kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    90kg x 3
    100kg x 3
    110kg x 3
    120kg x 3
    130kg x 3
    140kg x 3
    150kg x 2
    160kg x 2

Squat
    60kg x 10
    80kg x 6 x 2
    90kg x 20
    100kg x 5 x 3

GMs
    40kg x 10 x 3

Pull Ups

Lat Pull Downs
    85kg x 10 x 3

Ab/core/stretch stuff for 20 mins.

Blacked out a bit with the 160 dead, felt okay though, should be more in the tank!!

Squat: 90kg x 20 is a big PB, delighted with that. Wanted to curl up into a ball and die after it, but PB nonetheless!!

Good.

Brutal Bench day

Floor Press
    60kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    75kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    90kg x 2
    95kg x 2
    100kg x 1 x 2 .. bah!!

Looking back on what I started with today, it might have been a mistake to go up in 5s instead of 10s and probably should have kept the reps lower. Disgusted I didn't break 100, the second rep on 100 was just shameful really.

Did loads of back work, tricep stuff and some incline.. bah!
    I'm just going to put this day down to the fact that Ireland drew.

Rest tomorrow and back in Tuesday!

This is what I'm thinking of doing for the next 8 weeks.

Wk 1-4
    Smolov Jnr Deadlift
    Hammer Upper Back, Abs, some tricep work.

Wk 5-8

Smolov Jnr Bench
    Squat variations focusing on high reps. Hammer Abs.

Seems like some form of a plan anyway. Lets see where it goes.

Today

Deadlift
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 5

105kg x 6 x 6

Ab Pull Down
    30kg x 10 x 3.. I suck at these.

SLDL Sumo
    60kg x 8
    65kg x 8 x 5

Reverse Grip Pull Down
    worked to 85kg in sets of 10

Row
    3 sets of 10

More Oly stuff, split clean and split jerk. The split clean is difficult enough. Movements are a good way to loosen out.

Deadlift
    60kg x 10
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5

115kg x 5
    115kg x 5
    115kg x 5
    115kg x 5
    115kg x 5
    115kg x 4:mad:
    115kg x 3:mad:

Row
    5 sets of 10 100 pounds

Lat Pull
    80kg x 10 x 5

Shoulder Press Machine
    60kg x 10 x 3

Snatch's and stuff..

Excuses: no sleep, sick, stressing about exams.. all the good stuff. Lower back felt very sore doing all that deads today and just gave out at the end. Disgusting.

BUT I did pass my test and now I'm 4 exams away from being a mofo'n fully qualified accountant! Boom!!

So sh1t training but a good day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

haha, happy about being an accountant L to the OL. Seriously, between you hanley kev and the drifter this is the most boring forum ever :D, thank god Ls unemployed.

haha, happy about being an accountant L to the OL. Seriously, between you hanley kev and the drifter this is the most boring forum ever :D, thank god Ls unemployed.

It's all ahead of you young luke!

I wouldn't say I'm happy to be an accountant, happy that I passed a complete sh1tter of a test.

Accountant for the rest of your life = sh1t
    Having an accounting background in another job = win

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

It's all ahead of you young luke!

I wouldn't say I'm happy to be an accountant, happy that I passed a complete sh1tter of a test.

'gratz dude!! Fully agree with the last part of your post too!

CAP1 repeat results are out tomorrow... there's a serious chance we could lose 20-30% of my intake on em.

Shut up you, Malteaser told me what subjects you're doing.

'gratz dude!! Fully agree with the last part of your post too!

CAP1 repeat results are out tomorrow... there's a serious chance we could lose 20-30% of my intake on em.

Cheers Man.. there was serious pressure on this one, I would have had to switch accounting body after this which would have been a disaster!

Holy sh1t, you got all your exams the last round didn't you??

Back to college next week now, great fun!!:rolleyes:

Today

Military Press
    Bar x Loads
    40kg x 8 x 2
    45kg x 6
    50kg x 5 x 2
    55kg x 5 x 2
    50kg x 5 x 3
    40kg x 8x 2

Raises and Stuff with 12kg bell

Pull Throughs
    20kg x 15 x 3
    25kg x 15

Lat Pull Down/Face Pull/Tri Pushdown
    Lots

Happy enough with the Press, conisdering I haven't gone near it in weeks the strength seems to be there.

My lower back is focked, found a place I can do the pull throughs so hopefully that will help.

Most likely bench stuff tomorrow then deadlift on Sunday. One more day away from it won't do any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Well done on the exams!

+1.

Thanks Boss!!

what the hell, this is the 2nd time ive heard of people talking about me?

am i famous or something :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

what the hell, this is the 2nd time ive heard of people talking about me?

am i famous or something :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Famous for clogging up other logs:pac:

I went there...

thats a cold and accurate statement, your suited to the old accountant job then..

thats a cold and accurate statement, your suited to the old accountant job then..

Haha your grapes are definitley bunched tonight aren't they?? Your taking offence all over the shop!

Your getting roasted in the OT thread..

*waits to see if he gets the pun*

Earlier.

Clean/Snatch/Jerk/OH Squat

All done with 30kg, just going through the moves again. The practice is slowly SLOWLY increasing my flexibility. Just going to keep at it.

Squats to low box.. very wide stance
    60kg x 10 x 3
    70kg x 10

My lower back is focked!

Floor Press
    60kg x 3
    70kg x 3
    80kg x 3
    90kg x 1
    100kg x 1
    105kg x 1
    110kg x 0
    110kg x 0
    110kg x 1.. I think, quite tough.

Bench
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    90kg x 3
    100kg x 3.. think the third was touched
    105kg x 1, second rep was sh1t
    100kg x 2?
    100kg x 3 two board
    105kg x 2 two board.

I think that was the end of the benching, maybe a few more sets. I cannot for the life of me remember if I did any more!

Lat Pull Down
    80kg x 10 x 5

Under Hand Grip
    70kg x 8 x 3

Face Pull/Tri Push Down
    20kg x 10 x 2 each

Circuit
    3 rounds of 50kg clean and 30 push ups.
    4:45?? Under 5 mins anyway.

I scaled this down from a 60kg clean which would have killed me. I can clean 60kg, just not 45 times in under 5 mins!!

Hanley did the full circuit, but forgot to clock it!! Nightmare.

Solid training session tomorrow, my arms will be feeling it tomorrow!

Spent close to 3 hours in the gym today. I reckon this is what most of my sessions should look like. I like the Crossfit stuff too, I think I've been getting lazy lately so it's no harm to push myself.

Good.

The circuit was 4.42 and ya got the 3rd attempt with 110kg on the floor press on your own.

I was actually gonna say to ya you might wanna look at lat strength cos your elbows were flaring a lot and you were losing it backwards, but then you used a ridiculous amount of weight on the pulldowns??? What's your rowing strength like?

The circuit was 4.42 and ya got the 3rd attempt with 110kg on the floor press on your own.

I was actually gonna say to ya you might wanna look at lat strength cos your elbows were flaring a lot and you were losing it backwards, but then you used a ridiculous amount of weight on the pulldowns??? What's your rowing strength like?

Good stuff, I wasn't sure whether you had given me a hand on that one!

Yeah I do have a big problem with flaring, TBH not really sure how to sort it. Pull downs and the various pull ups are handy for me.

It could be I need to bring my DB row up?? and maybe do some inverted row work too.

Some barbell rowing too, like I don't do enough rowing and it is probably letting me down.

Good stuff, I wasn't sure whether you had given me a hand on that one!

Yeah I do have a big problem with flaring, TBH not really sure how to sort it. Pull downs and the various pull ups are handy for me.

It could be I need to bring my DB row up?? and maybe do some inverted row work too.

Some barbell rowing too, like I don't do enough rowing and it is probably letting me down.

I've never seen great carryover with dumbbell rows to be honest, when it comes to benching like.

Pendlay Rows have probably been the best thing I've done. Inverted Rows have worked well for shoulder health, and the chest supported row machine downstairs in Hercs is absolutely amazing if you take a hammer/hands facing grip.

• Advertisement

I've never seen great carryover with dumbbell rows to be honest, when it comes to benching like.

Pendlay Rows have probably been the best thing I've done. Inverted Rows have worked well for shoulder health, and the chest supported row machine downstairs in Hercs is absolutely amazing if you take a hammer/hands facing grip.

Cool I'll load up on that machine! I use it alot but with the other grip!

Next time your up I'll show you how I do Pendlays and you can see if I'm doing them right. Tbh I always have trouble with bent over rows and that, can never seem to get the groove which means I don't incorporate them as much as I probably should.

Today.

Reverse Ham Raise
    Bar x 10 x 5
    5kg x 10 x 5

Leg Press
    150kg x 10 x 3

Rows
    6 Plates from the bottom
    10 x 3

Pull Downs
    85kg x 10 x 3

Inverted Rows
    10 x 2

Tri Push Downs
    20kg x 10 x 3

BW Squats

Neutral Grip Chins

20 mins mobility stuff on the mats.

Woke up in bits this morning so a recovery session of sorts was needed. My lower back is till quite focked so it was reverse ham raises until I got bored. Really like the movement!

Everything else was just to get the blood flowing, going to deadlift tomorrow which will kill me but it has to be done.

My foam roller arrived and also a light band (yellow) that I ordered, going to mess around with them later on.

Foam rolling ftw!

Deadlift

70kg x 10
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 4
    100kg x 4
    110kg x 4 x 4

115kg x 4 x 4
    120kg x 4 x 4

Fandangled SLDL Sumo
    70kg x 10 x 3

Ab Pull Down
    30kg x 15 x 3

Row
    90 x 12 x 3

After doing the reverse hypers my back felt okay so deadlift was on the cards. It felt pretty good for most of the sets, but the last few I was cramping up. Some sold stretching will hopefully do the business tonight.

Will deadlift again on Friday.

Tomorrow will be a swim and 10 sets of the reverse hypers. Thursday some pressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

why so much focus on the lower back? Deadlift should hit it plenty without all the extra work?

Transform wrote: »
    why so much focus on the lower back? Deadlift should hit it plenty without all the extra work?

I focus on it as it is my main weakpoint. I injured it pretty badly about three years ago and I'm just trying to make it as strong as possible. The SLDL, reverse ham and hypers all play their part in building up my lower back strength.

The deadlift does hit it plenty I just find that doing the assistance light aids recovery and will also hopefully play its part in injury prevention.

Press Day

Giant Band pull aparts
    10 x 3

Shoulder Press
    Bar x 10
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 10
    45kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    60kg x 1 Wanted 60 and got it!
    50kg x 9:mad: 10 just wasn't going up.
    30kg x 10 x 5/supersetted with band pull aparts.

Rows
    60kg x 10 x 3

Pull Ups:50
    10 x 5

Dips:50
    10 x 5

Superset of Face Pull/Tri Push Down/Ab Pulldown
    3 sets of 10 of each.

I was sent a copy of the 5/3/1 manual and I'm going to put the Boring but Big into each session. After I do Smolov I might look into this. Seems to work really well for some and only okay for others. If it makes you stronger then its the way to go. The manual is very good, a lot of great info.

60kg press is my current max, probably more in the tank. Happy that the strength is still there. 50 x 9 was solid too. I want 50 x 12 next week!

Did fock all last night bar stretching and rolling. Possibly swim on Saturday. Deadlift tomorrow!!

I love 5/3/1 and i can tell Kev M does too!(the pr1ck :D) i know im not the most experienced person here but id really reccoment it so far!

I love 5/3/1 and i can tell Kev M does too!(the pr1ck :D) i know im not the most experienced person here but id really reccoment it so far!

Yeah, one of the lads that trains in the club at lunch is going through it now and he says everything he lifts is a PB the focker!

The manual definitely makes a lot of sense.

I see that you love it alright dude, sure why wouldn't ya, every new post in your log is a PB:)

Haha, pretty much! Just one thing, set your max low! my bench is doing really well cause i set a low max and just repped as much as possible!

• Advertisement

Haha, pretty much! Just one thing, set your max low! my bench is doing really well cause i set a low max and just repped as much as possible!

Ah yeah sure it'll be a month before I start it, Smolov will be the death of me!

Advertisement