Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's Rock.. and a little bit of roll

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

Yesterday

Reverse Hyper x 12

Deadlift
    70kg x 3
    80kg x 3
    100kg x 3
    115kg x 3

130kg x 3 x 7:mad:
    I was sucking the ghey yesterday! Didn't have time to finish the sets had to leg it back to work. Load of sh1t. I used a belt yesterday for the first time in months, I think I will have to use it on the work sets to get through this in one piece. Now to add 10kg to everything I did in the past two weeks.

Loosen out day.

Mobility Stuff

GluteHam raise
    10 x 10

Small circuit.
    5 pull ups/5 dips for rounds in 10 minutes.

I wanted to see how many rounds of this I could do before a rest was required, turns out to be 3. The dips are easy but the pull ups kick me in the rocks so 3 rounds was okayish. Maybe next time I'm at this I'll do 10 dips a round.

Bench in the moro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

You should try CF's Cindy;
    5 pull ups, 10 push ups, 15 squats - as many rounds in 20 minutes (or you can just scale it to 5, 10 or 15 mins)

I've done 10 rounds in under 10mins, 19 in 20. Might re-test it soon and see how I get on. The weight loss should have helped!!

Gonna reverse band bench upstairs tomorrow btw!

Hanley wrote: »
    You should try CF's Cindy;
    5 pull ups, 10 push ups, 15 squats - as many rounds in 20 minutes (or you can just scale it to 5, 10 or 15 mins)

I've done 10 rounds in under 10mins, 19 in 20. Might re-test it soon and see how I get on. The weight loss should have helped!!

Gonna reverse band bench upstairs tomorrow btw!

Hmmm yeah could be easily done upstairs in the club, could be one for tomorrow alright!

I'd say your good for more than 10 rounds now, anything you do tomorrow make sure you start the clock:pac:

Yeah cool I'll be up tomorrow and I'll try that out.

Reverse band would be so that the weight is lessened as you lower the weight right??

Reverse Band Bench

60kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    130kg x 5
    135kg x 5

Bench
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    2 Board
    100kg x 5
    110kg x 4
    Big Board
    110kg x 5
    100kg x 5 x 3

Row
    Worked to 130 in sets of 10 then
    140 x 5

Changed Grip
    70 x 10
    80 x 10
    90 x 10
    100 x 10

Tri Push Down and some face pulls.

Benching was tough today, got some very good tips so will put them to use next time!

Need to get my bench solider. Thats right!

Going to look into 5/3/1 again today, do some more reading.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Reverse Band Bench
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    130kg x 5
    135kg x 5

Is that with bands helping on the way up to help with lock out?
    Going to look into 5/3/1 again today, do some more reading.

I'm finding 531 good. Here is a slightly revised version of my template in case it helps you. Just fill in the top rows (2 to 6) on the "graph" sheet. It will populate a 6 month plan for you. You'll have to rename the tabs to different months than my July to Dec.

I track my BBB and top sets in it.

e.g.
    August: Boring but Big was 25kg in Week 1 (row 3). Top set reps were 9x48kg (row 4).

BossArky wrote: »
    Is that with bands helping on the way up to help with lock out?

I'm finding 531 good. Here is a slightly revised version of my template in case it helps you. Just fill in the top rows (2 to 6) on the "graph" sheet. It will populate a 6 month plan for you. You'll have to rename the tabs to different months than my July to Dec.

I track my BBB and top sets in it.

e.g.
    August: Boring but Big was 25kg in Week 1 (row 3). Top set reps were 9x48kg (row 4).

Yeah man check out Hanley's vid in his log to see how it was set up! Feels very weird going from that to the normal bench.

Cheers for that man, I'll put my maxes through it and have a look. I think I will jump on the 5/3/1 bandwagon. I'll run it alongside the Smolov, hopefully I can finish off the Smolov without affecting the 5/3/1.

5/3/1 Day 1 Wk 1 Cycle 1

Bench

Warmup
    Bar x 10
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5

Worksets
    62.5 x 5
    72.5 x 5
    82.5 x 9... went for 10, spotter had to take it triceps just gave up!

Pull Ups
    +5kg x 10

Row
    60 x 10
    70 x 10
    80 x 10
    90 x 10
    Changed Grip
    60 x 15

SP Machine
    40 x 12
    50 x 12
    60 x 12
    65 x 12

Probably not the best idea to start the 5/3/1 Bench after yesterday but I was benching with someone. It defo cost me the last rep but 82.5 x 9 is a PB for reps. I'm going to start logging the PBs too.

The pull ups were quite easy, getting up to 4 sets of 15 will be noice! I'm going to weight the last rep of each set. Dips will be assistance on MP day.

Maxes for 5/3/1
    B:107
    D:150
    S:120
    MP:60

I'm not sure whether to keep at Smolov either, my lower back is pretty focked today 3 days after deadlifting (not DOMS either). Pretty pointless pushing it too as it WILL lead to an injury. Booked into my physio for next week. I'll see how it is tomorrow, I'm going to squat anyway.

Today 5/3/1 Day 2 Week 1 Cycle 1

Squat
    Warm Up
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 5

Work Sets
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    92.5 x 14

60kg x 10 x 2

Ab Pull Downs
    3 sets of 15.

Reverse Raise
    20 reps

Very happy with the squats, there was one or two more left in the tank too.

Not much time today for assistance so just did the abs and the obligatory low back work. It felt okay today, foam rolling and stretching will help it along tonight.

5/3/1 Day 3 Week 1 Cycle 1

Band Pull Aparts
    3 sets of 10

Military Press
    Warm Up
    Bar x 5
    30kg x 5

35kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    45kg x 16

Face Pulls
    20kg x 10
    25kg x 12
    30kg x 10

Dips

Pull Down
    80kg x 8
    85kg x 8
    90kg x 8

Pushed the reps on the press today, a PB for reps anyway.

Dips were good, happy to be able to bust out 33 after two sets of 15. 50 is the target here.

Pull Downs are going well,just going to keep plugging away at these.

• Advertisement

5/3/1 Day 4 Week 1 Cycle 1

Power Cleans
    40kg x 3
    50kg x 3
    60kg x 3
    65kg x 3
    70kg x 1
    72kg x 1.. Past 60kg on this is PB city

Deadlift
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5

90kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    115kg x 9... reps PB

Boring but Big
    70kg x 5 x 10

The BBB really shattered me, can defo see this helping.

Power Cleans were good too, 72kg is a nice PB for me. A body weight clean would be awesome!

Repping the deadlift is tough, fairly annoyed with 9 but I'm sticking with the idea of leaving something in the tank.

Probably do a serious session of foma rolling/yoga tonight and tomorrow. Back to the gym Sunday.

Also, I was given "The Powerlifting Manual" by John Lear today by one of the older lads in the gym. Manual is from 1982, excellent!

Today

Reverse Hyper
    5kg x 10 x 5

Face Pulls
    30kg x 10 x 2
    35kg x 10

Seated Power Cleans
    10kg x 10 x 3

Shoulder Raises
    15kg x 12 x 3

Chins

One Arm Row Machine
    25kg x 10 x 2

Shoulder Press Machine
    65kg x 10 x 2
    75kg x 10 x 2

Lat Pull Down
    85kg x 10 x 3

Row
    90 x 10 x 3

Handy session today, did some pad work yesterday and my back is fried from it. So just did some easy stuff today so I'm ready for the bench tomorrow.

Face Pulls are getting stronger which is nice. PB on the SP machine, not that important but as long as my pressing improves I'm happy.

As always, reverse hyper feels very good. Loving this exercise.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Deadlift

Boring but Big
    70kg x 5 x 10

The BBB really shattered me, can defo see this helping.

After the first couple of weeks of Boring but Big you'll get used to the higher reps. First week or two nearly killed me too.

After the first couple of weeks of Boring but Big you'll get used to the higher reps. First week or two nearly killed me too.

Did you add 2.5 or 5 to each BBB per week?

Was going to ask you, how are you finding doing pull ups/chins on both your press days?

I'm going with the idea of splitting the pull ups to Bench day and dips to MP day.

Did you add 2.5 or 5 to each BBB per week?

I added 5kg to all until it got difficult and I was having to take a break before finishing off 10 reps. Military and Bench are near maxed out now. Probably a bit more to go on squat and deadlift. Just adding 1kg or so to each now.

My starting and current BBB were/are:

MP 25kg --> ~41kg
    DL 60kg --> 86kg
    BP 30kg --> ~61kg
    SQ 45kg --> 71kg

Those early BBB days felt a lot harder than the more recent ones - not being used to the high reps after the main worksets.

Was going to ask you, how are you finding doing pull ups/chins on both your press days?

I'm going with the idea of splitting the pull ups to Bench day and dips to MP day.

I used to have MP + MP BBB + Chins + Dips on the one day. However, after 11+ sets of pressing I wasn't able for the dips with good form so moved them recently to deadlift day.

I like "bench + pull ups" and then "military + chins". It seems to work ok and gives a bit of balance.

Good luck with 531. It takes a while to build up but you can keep yourself amused by tracking rep records and feeling utterly pumped with BBB!

I added 5kg to all until it got difficult and I was having to take a break before finishing off 10 reps. Military and Bench are near maxed out now. Probably a bit more to go on squat and deadlift. Just adding 1kg or so to each now.

My starting and current BBB were/are:

MP 25kg --> ~41kg
    DL 60kg --> 86kg
    BP 30kg --> ~61kg
    SQ 45kg --> 71kg

Those early BBB days felt a lot harder than the more recent ones - not being used to the high reps after the main worksets.

I used to have MP + MP BBB + Chins + Dips on the one day. However, after 11+ sets of pressing I wasn't able for the dips with good form so moved them recently to deadlift day.

I like "bench + pull ups" and then "military + chins". It seems to work ok and gives a bit of balance.

Good luck with 531. It takes a while to build up but you can keep yourself amused by tracking rep records and feeling utterly pumped with BBB!

Yeah cool, I've set my bench and squat at 60kg, I'll add 2.5 to the bench and 5kg to the squat. Deadlift is 70 and MP is 30.

Of them all I find the MP the worst, 30kg x 10 x 5 is a killer!

I think I'd rather keep my upper body assistance to the MP and BP days, give my upper body some form of respite, however slight that is!

Thanks man, even though the weight is slowish to move up, the program is still very interesting. Lets hope it pays off.

5/3/1 Day 1 Wk 2 Cycle 1

Band pull aparts
    10 x 2

Bench
    Bar x 10
    60kg x 3
    65 kg x 3

70kg x 3
    77.5kg x 3
    87.5kg x 10 PB

Pull Ups
    20, 8, 8

Rows
    80 x 12
    90 x 12
    110 x 10
    120 x 10

Tri Pushdowns
    25kg x 15 x 2

Another rep PB, bench felt strong today, the last rep was tough. Tried to set up tighter and bring the bar further out over my chest while squeezing it as tight as possible. Made a difference so I'll keep working on it!

20 is a big Pull up PB, all strict of course!

Looking forward to repping the sh1t out of a 100kg squat tomorrow.

5/3/1 Day 2 Wk 2 Cycle 1

Squat
    Bar x loads
    60kg x 3
    70kg x 3

77.5kg x 3
    87.5kg x 3
    100kg x 11 PB

60kg x 10 x 3

Ab Pull Downs

Happy with the squats, I've done 100 for 10 before but the reps were sh1t. This time each rep felt good and the 11 is a good marker to put down for the future cycles.

One rep max calculator puts the squat at 137:cool:

BBB was missing two sets but I still got the desired effect.

Day off tomorrow, then MP thursday.

Big thanks to Irish Lifting today..

The power rack and heavy duty bench arrived, along with two 15kg bumper plates and a solid belt too:D

Will defo use Mick again for any lifting stuff that I need, great service!!

Will post up some pictures later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Jealous!!!

Edit: just realised, now you and hanley will both be copying my belt probably :P

Bleedin file uploads, the photo doesnt want to upload:mad:

Edit:Think I have it up!

Jealous!!!

Edit: just realised, now you and hanley will both be copying my belt probably :P

Ha you should be!

Used it tonight for rack pulls, partial presses and also floor presses. It has a deadly knurled pull up bar too!:D

The black belt one with the hooks? Very heavy duty belt!

Your new rack looks good. That pallet truck on the left of the photo will come in handy when loading up the bar for deadlifts!

Your new rack looks good. That pallet truck on the left of the photo will come in handy when loading up the bar for deadlifts!

Hadn't thought of that at all! Will be very useful:D

Ha that be my belt alright, hanley copied it aswell, couldnt get his own one :P. Sweet set up! the bumpers look awesome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Ha that be my belt alright, hanley copied it aswell, couldnt get his own one :P. Sweet set up! the bumpers look awesome.

What are you talking about now?

nothing.....

Today
    5/3/1 Day 3 WK 2 Cycle 1

Military Press
    Bar x 3
    30kg x 3

40kg x 3
    45kg x 3
    50kg x 12 PB

Face Pulls
    25kg x 12 x 2

Dips
    +20kg x 10

The MP today was good and strong, 50 x 12 is a nice PB. A few weeks ago I managed 9 so some small progress.

I think the dips is an all-time PB too. Flew throught them right up to 30 then the triceps just gave up on me. Still managed to fight through some reps.

Deadlift tomorrow.

• Advertisement

your tricep strength annoys me

Advertisement