Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's Rock.. and a little bit of roll

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

Bench

Band Pulls

Bench w/ mini bands
    Bar x 3
    40kg x 3
    60kg x 3
    70kg x 3
    80kg x 1
    85kg x 1
    90kg .. touch on this one but it was still pushed through

Normal Bench
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5

Pause/press bench
    90kg x 1
    95kg x 1
    100kg x 1
    102.5kg x1

Band w/minis again
    60kg x 3 x 6
    60kg x 5 x 2

Chest Rows
    90 x 10
    100 x 10
    120 x 8

Change Grip
    70 x 12 x 3

Tri Push Downs/Face Pulls
    10 x 3 with 20kg each

Loads of volume today, the minis were very hard to get used to. I was wobbling all over the shop when it was just the bar. A bit of weight on it and it steadied.

My main thing today was to pause a few benches. Very happy that I paused 100kg, and the 102.5kg wasn't that slow either!! There is not much point in me benching 100 when I can't pause and press it!

Rows were good, they have definitely helped my bench.

5/3/1 bench tomorrow:cool:

5/3/1 Day 1 Wk 3 Cycle 3

Band Face Pulls
    3 sets of 20

Bench
    Bar x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 5

75kg x 5
    85kg x 3
    95kg x 5 PB

BBB Close Grip
    50kg x 10 x 3

Inverted Rows
    3 sets of 10 with 20 second break between sets.

Some curls supersetted with chins.

3 sets of Sumo with 10kg held between legs.

Serious DOMS after the bench yesterday so 95 x 5 was a good PB, may have been one in the tank but something to aim for next cycle.

I don't know if other people notice this with 5/3/1, but every rep and set leading up to the top set feels twice as hard as it should??!
    Today with 85.. the 3 reps were a killer.. don't know what the deal is with that but as long as the top set stays the way it is I'm happy!

Back is feeling okay, stretching is getting better. I'm probably in a position to squat/deadlift light but I'll give it a few more days rest.

Swim tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

i notice that on Military press, not so much on other things, altho im used to alot more warm up volume so thats probably it

i notice that on Military press, not so much on other things, altho im used to alot more warm up volume so thats probably it

I'm not sure it is the volume thing, I only do about 2/3 sets of warmups. And it is only two sets before the top set too..

It is most likely a mental thing, the first two sets all ya have to do is hit the reps! So when the last set comes around you know you have to hit more than the required reps and/or hit a PB.

on SS id usually do about 8 sets of warm ups, and some stretching, on 5/3/1 im doing about 2-3 because the first work set is quite low, im not used to the large jumps between work sets. Thats why i think i find them hard anyway,

Its quite nerve wracking tho on the first set when your finding it hard , kinda messes with you on the later ones as your getting worried! :P

• Advertisement

on SS id usually do about 8 sets of warm ups, and some stretching, on 5/3/1 im doing about 2-3 because the first work set is quite low, im not used to the large jumps between work sets. Thats why i think i find them hard anyway,

Its quite nerve wracking tho on the first set when your finding it hard , kinda messes with you on the later ones as your getting worried! :P

Maybe that is why the last set is mostly good, as your freaked you won't get a PB it pushes you to get one:pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I'm getting way too nervous ahead of my 531 sessions now....literally cr@p'n myself that I won't make the reps. The few cycles are fine but when the weight increases the pressure is on! :pac:

Boss no need to be crappin yourself!!

Tonight

Vibro - Plate

Good for loosening out:pac:

Bar squats/Pull Ups

Hanging Knee Raises.. getting better at these.

Plan: 5/3/1 Squat Deadlift after club championships!

Kick ass!

Tonight

Swim...

Itching to squat!!!

Press tomorrow.

EDIT: weight is at 87kg..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

EDIT: weight is at 87kg..

!!

Good going. I remember you were 77kg when I was 75kg about 6 months ago?

• Advertisement

BossArky wrote: »
    !!

Good going. I remember you were 77kg when I was 75kg about 6 months ago?

Yeah cheers boss.. the weight gain is coming along nicely! It is about 10kg in 6 months which is okay I guess.. I'll check my log as I remember posting re gaining weight so I'll see what weight I was at then.

What are you at now man?? What is the goal..

How is your back? Have you tried bird-dogs as a warm up before deadlift & squat?
    Yeah cheers boss.. the weight gain is coming along nicely! It is about 10kg in 6 months which is okay I guess..

531 "Boring But Big" assistance is great for gaining weight when stuffing oneself. My experience from cycle 3 ... through 4 and 5 --> went from 77kg to 81.5kg in 2.5 months (since mid September).
    What are you at now man?? What is the goal..

I'm 80.5kg at the moment. Adding back a bit of cardio and being stricter with diet until year end. Wanna make sure my lifts are going up by more than my bodyweight so I'm on a hiatus from the fridge. Goal = world domination with a 32 inch waist :pac:

5/3/1 Day 2 Wk 3 Cycle 2

Band Pull Aparts

Military Press
    Bar x 10
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 3

45kg x 5
    50kg x 3
    55kg x 9 PB

Lat Pull Downs
    3 sets of 10

Had someone look at my deadlift/squat form..

Worked up to 80kg in sets of 5.. felt good

Squatted wider than normal, which I think is how I'm going to work from. It is not that the new stance is wide, I just think my usual one is slightly narrow. Will put in a good bit of work on loosening out the groins/hips.

Big PB again on the MP, the aim was 8 so pretty happy to get 9. I think my previous best was 4/5 reps with this weight, if even that.

Benching again Sunday, rest most of next week and maybe do some deadlifts and squats on wednesday.

How is your back? Have you tried bird-dogs as a warm up before deadlift & squat?

Yeah I always do them, I've found they also activate the glutes too. My warmup for both squats/deads is usually rushed as I use the club at lunch, so I will have to include more activation exercises and, in general, pay more attention to my lower back.

531 "Boring But Big" assistance is great for gaining weight when stuffing oneself. My experience from cycle 3 ... through 4 and 5 --> went from 77kg to 81.5kg in 2.5 months (since mid September).

I completely agree.. Pizzas are also of use!!

I'm 80.5kg at the moment. Adding back a bit of cardio and being stricter with diet until year end. Wanna make sure my lifts are going up by more than my bodyweight so I'm on a hiatus from the fridge. Goal = world domination with a 32 inch waist :pac:

Yeah I'll be watching that myself, as long as I am getting stronger I won't worry too much about the weight though.

Swimming is my cardio, but I'm doing it more for lower back and core strength than anything else. Plus it is a great way to stay loose.

Good luck with the goal dude!

Are you going to stick with 531??

:mad: Singlet from Amazon arrived today... waaaay too small!Sh1t

Thinking of ordering this one..

Anyone any suggestions??

at least you got yours, i ordered mine last wednesday from lifting large, still not here :(

at least you got yours, i ordered mine last wednesday from lifting large, still not here :(

Well I have to send it back, I'll probably have to go for the XL.. or maybe the XXL.. No point getting it if I only fit into it once!!:pac:

might aswell get a big one! fill it out, thats my plan anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

:mad: Singlet from Amazon arrived today... waaaay too small!Sh1t

Thinking of ordering this one..

Anyone any suggestions??

I got mine from www.irongladiators.com
    shipping is cheap and decent to deal with.

Thanks Liam...

I'll have a look at that site today! I like their sizing options..
    I was also looking at http://www.prowriststraps.com/home

Shipping is a good bit cheaper than the rest of the US sites.

• Advertisement

Yeah I always do them, I've found they also activate the glutes too.

Definitely great for the glutes! Bird-dogs seem to wake up that extra muscle which makes squat and deadlift easier.
    Are you going to stick with 531??

Yeah, I like it.

Good luck filling out the singlet! :)

Got some more stuff from Irish Lifting.. garage will be mega when it is finished:cool:

Today

Vibro Plate

Ab Wheels

Went for a swim: didn't do that many lengths but pushed them just to get a bit of work in.

Benchin n sh1t tomorrow.

Benchin

Band Pull Aparts

Normal Bench
    Bar x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5 x 2
    Pause Press
    90kg x 1
    95kg x 1
    100kg x 1 x 2
    Normal
    80kg x 5 x 3
    Pause again
    90kg x 1 x 4
    Closer Grip
    80kg x 5

Rows
    80 x 10
    90 x 10
    100 x 10
    110 x 10

Reverse Hyper
    Just the bar
    10 x 3

Some Stretching...

Again, main aim was to nail 100kg and see what it felt like. It was easy enough so I'll open with this next Saturday and see how it goes!!

Decent amount of volume today so I will maybe just do a few reps with 60kg Tuesday/Wednesday to get the blood flowing.

Reverse Hyper was just to warm up the lower back before I loosened it out.

Weight update

4/9/09: 81.5kg
    6/12/09:88kg

The aim was 85kg before y/e so pretty happy with the gain.

Should hopefully get to 90kg before the y/e.:cool:

I thought I'd post this up for the craic.. today's diet:p

1.Big glass of milk after waking then porridge with tea.
    2.Pint of milk at desk in work.
    3.Elevenses:Ham/Cheese Sambo, tea, pint of milk.
    4.Lunch:Soup, Shepards Pie with gravy +potatoes/veg, Apple Pie with custard. Milk again.
    5.Afternoon:Biscuits an tea!
    6.Dinner:Stew, more milk.
    7.Just there: protein shake with some pringles.
    8. Most likely I will poach some eggs, and have some brown toast.
    And maybe some more milk.

Today was a decent day for getting the food in, I've had more but this is on average what I eat per day. Pretty happy with my milk intake too.

Once I'm taking on more calories than I'm burning its win-win.

Now for those eggs:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

Protein shake with pringles! What a man!!

See you Saturday...

Light squat/bench session

I'm going to do a cycle of squats and deads with both maxes set at 90 or 100kg. I'll see how it goes. I did the squat "5" tonight, felt very easy and only some slight stiffness now, which is to be expected. The top set of each day will most definitely stay at the required reps!! Anyway, first day is below.

531 Cycle 1 Week 1 Day 1

Squat
    40kg x 10
    45kg x 5

52.5kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5

Bench
    50kg x 10 x 3

Face Pulls: lots..

Ab Wheel
    10 x 3

Probably swim tomorrow with some Glute/Ham raises, then rest up Friday. Struggling with a bit of a cold but hopefully it has past now and I'll be fresh for Saturday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Dude inbox is full... sorry.

I'll bring the singlet along on Saturday. Wanna find out what time weigh in is and let me know??

No problem man..

As far as I know weigh in is eleven bells and the weightlifting is on first.

But I'll pop over there tomorrow and find out for definite.

Oh yeah, thanks for the singlet!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

No problem man..

As far as I know weigh in is eleven bells and the weightlifting is on first.

But I'll pop over there tomorrow and find out for definite.

Oh yeah, thanks for the singlet!!

I think the weightlifting starts at 11.... I didn't see a weigh in time, that's why I was asking. Probably 10 or so. But if you're around it'd be cool if ya find out!!! Thanks :D

Advertisement