Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's Rock.. and a little bit of roll

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

Hanley wrote: »
    I think the weightlifting starts at 11.... I didn't see a weigh in time, that's why I was asking. Probably 10 or so. But if you're around it'd be cool if ya find out!!! Thanks :D

Yeah I'll defo be going over tomorrow so I'll get the details:cool:

Hercules Club Championships

Squat
    1st: 110kg
    2nd: 120kg
    3rd: 132.5kg VID TO FOLLOW

Bench
    1st: 100kg
    2nd: 105kg
    3rd: 110kg MISS

Deadlift
    1st: 130kg
    2nd: 140kg
    3rd: 152.5kg

132.5/105/152.5

Weighed in at 86.5kg on the day, which was quite light. I was struck down by the dreaded man-flu at the start of the week so struggled to keep the eating up. I was competing in the 90kg class.

The weightlifting started around 11:30. Some inspiring lifts and also inspiring lifters!! Thoroughly enjoyed watching every lift. Some of these lifters went on to compete in the powerlifting also.

Powerlifting started at around 2 bells. My intention was to only compete in the bench however as soon as I seen the squatters warming up I couldn't stay away. I would have been mad as hell if I did not put my name down for the squats. I told the ref to put me down for the squat but not the deadlift.. as there was no way I was deadlifting:rolleyes:

I wasn't sure what to put myself down for so I went with a weight I knew I would get easily. The first two attempts were quite easy, even though 120 was a PB. I was getting ahead of myself here and wanted to hit 140, but was told to go 130, so I settled with 132.5. This was a huge PB and also very tough, fought the whole way and got it!!

I was pretty disappointed with my bench, 110 was my goal here before ahead of anything else. I got it about 2 inches off my chest and that was that.. no lift.

Nothing major to report with the deadlift, it was all about getting a total and not wrecking my back. 130 and 140 were easy enough. 152.5 is a PB overall and a Sumo PB by 7.5kg. This went up okay too so 155 is most likely there.

I ended up totalling 390kg @86.5 which isn't a massive number but considering it was after an injury I'm pretty pleased with it.

I ended up placing second in the 90kg class bench press so got a small trophy for that:D

PBs all round and a great day. Some absolutely monster lifts on the day. The kind of lifts that you never think you will see, just incredible.

Big thanks to all the lads there, great support for all the lifters.. big shout out to Hanley too (Tesco FTW!!) and Paul for letting me use his belt!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Congratz man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

Great performance Brutus! To hit a PR squat and DL after your back injury is amazing! Weird that you missed the last bench - the obvious conclusion is to not train the lift for 8 weeks before a comp!

Anyway, thanks for the support and Jaffa Cakes on the day. I think my belt is the real reason you lifted so well - should have borrowed it for the bench too.

Thanks men!!

I'm thinking of not training at all before all the single lifts and see how I get on:D

Great performance from you too Pavel!! A nice big squat and deadlift.. more training with singles and pause benching for us!!!

I'll text you during the week! Get a training session in,,

• Advertisement

Squat 110.. should get the rest of the vids up tomorrow!

Deadlift 152.5

Got a bit of a head rush after this:)

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

well done, nice lifting!!

Bench 105

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

That deadlift shoulda been your opener...

• Advertisement

That deadlift shoulda been your opener...

Tbh i wasn't prepared at all.. Sure when I walked in that morning I was only benching!!

At least I have an idea for the single lifts now!!

Chest supported rows 3 x 10
    Face Pulls 3 x 10
    Side delt raises with light DBs 3 x 10
    DB curls 3 x 10
    Dips 3 x 10

Did this yesterday, feeling alot stronger than last week. Looking forward to getting back into the 531 cycle. Next week will be a light to medium week followed by the "5" week. This should leave me with a deload week before the single lifts.

I'm going to start having this every couple of days..
    To prepare the 70’s Big Shake:

1. Pour a generous amount of milk into your blender. If you pour too much, you won’t have room for the other goodies, so be wary.
    2. Scoop in a hearty amount of ice cream. If you have “reduced fat” ice cream, pleas click the x in the top right of your browser.
    3. Take the spoon you used to scoop the ice cream, and dig the biggest wad (equivalent to WOD) you can out of your peanut butter jar. It is a sin to waste peanut butter.
    4. Add two scoops of cheap whey protein powder
    5. Hold your chocolate syrup bottle over the mixture and squeeze until satisfied. Then squeeze for another full second.
    6. Blend, enjoy, and grow stronger

Total Calories: ~2,090 kcal
    Total Protein: ~104 g

Squatting and Bench

40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    *belt*
    100kg x 1
    110kg x 1

Bench
    50kg x 10
    60kg x 10
    70kg x 8
    90kg x 1 x 3
    80kg x 8 x 2

Inverted Rows
    3 x 10

Chins.. loads

Ab wheels.

Just messin about really tonight, wanted to get a few singles in with the squat and same with the bench.

I wanted to hit 110kg again and it was a piece of piss.. going to have to seriously think about my squats for the single lifts.

Bench felt okay, as I said before about the 110kg, it completely buried me so I need to get more power off the chest. I think the multiple sets of 8-10 will help this!

Probably won't get to train again till Sunday, looking forward to that already:pac:

Marathon Day

Power Clean
    40kg x 2 x 2
    60kg x loads.. I'm brutal at these:o

Speed Pulls
    80kg x 1 x 8

Squattin
    100kg x 5 x 7

Benchin
    80kg x 5 x 7

Curlin
    30kg x 5 x 7

My power cleans are pretty ugly, its like half a row and a high pull!! Got some good tips and towards the end was getting slightly better:)

The speed pulls are completely new to me, pulling conventional too. Hopefully I get a good cross over to the sumo. Most likely I'll go 90 next time I'm doing these.

Bench felt very good today, easiest part of the day. Even the last set felt pretty good and fast.

At least with the curls I've some sort of reps set out... feels better than the usual 3x10!!

Good session, going to really feel it tomorrow!!

Oh yeah.. had the 70s shake again today:D Man it is awesome!! 100kg here I waddle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

Damn that shake sounds good :D

I highly recommend it!!:pac:

Today

5 mins of warm up/keep sick down

Squats
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    90kg x 9 x 4

Bench
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 9
    70kg x 9
    75kg x 9
    80kg x 9

Curls
    40kg x 9 x 4

Curls were pretty damn hard...

Squats were okay, depth is off on alot of the reps. Need to sort this out! Its not by much but still..

I might bench tomorrow then get down and squat on Thursday!!

Plan for the run up to the singles..

Run Smolov Jnr for the squat, I've got a taste of the reps recently and I think it will bring my up fast!!

And from how the program is mapped out I should be hitting 127.5 for 10 x 3 on the 16th of Jan which leaves me a nice bit of rest time to test my max at the comp!!!

So,

Bench/Press 531
    Speed Deads conventional
    Smolov Squat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

Do not take the Lord Wendler's name in vain!

Keep the faith brother.....

Smolov Wk 1 D1

Based off max off 132.5kg

Squats
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5

92.5kg x 9 x 4

Bench
    50kg x 8
    60kg x 8
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 1
    100kg x 1
    105kg x 1.. quite easy

Band Pull Aparts/Face Pulls

Ab Work

Squats felt good, unbelievably DOMS free even after yesterday!! That was my main reason to get into it straight away!! Really looking forward to putting in some serious squattin!!!

Bench, wanted to hit 105, wasnt a max out but it wasnt paused either. I'll practice the pause again 2 weeks from the single lifts!!

I will probably do Smolov for the gunz.. but not yet, my wrists are in bits from the curls yesterday. Thats what I get for telling the big man to suck it up with his curl pain.

Curl off ftw!!

Smolov Wk 1 D2

Squats
    Bar x loads
    60kg x 5 x 2
    80kg x 5

100kg x 7 x 5

Bench
    60kg x 5 x 2
    80kg x 5 x 2:o

First two sets of the squats today felt quite tough, the last three were suprisingly grand. Got through them with no issues!!

I had some kind of bug on Crimbo day and I am currently weighing in at 85:eek: Bout a 2/3 kilo loss. Pretty pissed off about it but what can you do.. going to still try get the weight back up and get to 89/90 and hover around there for the single lifts.

531 Bench and Smolov squat tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

'stuff!! You're restarting with the actual percentages based off estimated maxes yah?

Marathon sesh tomorrow. My poor hips are dreading it.

'stuff!! You're restarting with the actual percentages based off estimated maxes yah?

Marathon sesh tomorrow. My poor hips are dreading it.

Yeah man, used 132.5 as the max! Next week's five sevens should be interesting.

A good spot of foam rolling for me tonight and I should be game ball for tomorrow!!

531 n Smolov

Power Cleans
    40kg x 2 x 5
    60kg x 2 x 2
    80kg x fail
    70kg x 2 x 2

Speed Pulls
    90kg x 1 x 10

Smolov Squat Wk 1 D3
    60kg x 5 x 2
    80kg x 5

100kg x 5 x 7

531 Bench
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5

90kg x 9 bah

100kg x 3 x 2
    100kg x 2 x 5

Curls
    20kg x 3 x 10

Inverted Rows
    3 x 10

That was some session.

I'll have to sort out the power cleans although they're not too high on the list at the minute. Enjoying the speed pulls too.. but I need to actually make them speed pulls!! It will come in time.

First set of squats depth was sh1t, so I think I sorted it for the next 6:pac: I never felt like I was going to miss a rep though which is nice!

Not too pleased with the 531 bench so I added some extra volume into the session. Fought for a good few reps in those double sets but got them all.

Curls and rows were grand.. I was marvin after that session and made a complete rookie mistake and forgot to even bring a shake. Thank god for Jumbo Mars Bars!!

Today

Swim.. sauna.. jacuzzi.. God bless the Carlisle

Feel good and loose after the session today, ready for squats tomorrow!

Weighed in at 88kg today in the buff.. I reckon it was mostly fluids that I lost christmas day but the extra eating has helped. Should get to 90kg no problem.

Smolov Wk 1 D4

Power Cleans
    40kg x 2
    60kg x 2
    70kg x 2 x 2

Squats
    Bar x 3
    60kg x 3
    80kg x 3
    100kg x 1

112.5kg x 3 x 10

Bench
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 9 x 4

Curls
    17.5kg x 9 x 4

Got a bit of a mad feeling in my arm during the cleans. This stuck with me through the squats too.. I reckon it is just them getting beat up from all the squatting!

Squats were good too, more boring than anything else!

No problems with the bench, struggled with 9 reps at 80 a few weeks ago but got through these fine today!

Curls were awesome..

Some good points in this article re pulling sumo..

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/sumo.htm

• Advertisement

531 Wk 1 Day 3 Cycle 3

Military Press

Bar x 10
    40kg x 5
    45kg x 5

52.5kg x 10

Band Pull Aparts

Dips

Pull Downs
    75kg x 2 x 8
    80kg x 8

Neutral Grip Pull Ups
    8,5,5 jaysus

Press felt okay today, solid enough like but not hitting any mad PRs. Haven't pressed in three weeks so not too bad really.

Dips felt good as always.. really going to keep these up. 50 reps in one set is one of many goals for next year!

I think the chins suffered from the pulldowns but still seriously weak, need to bring these back up.

Probably back training on Saturday!

Merry New Year to all!

Advertisement