Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many contractors does it take to change three lightbulbs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

kbannon wrote: »
    Just the one but it will cost €1,000!

and then
    Meanwhile in response, the OPW rejected claims it spends public money badly and said it was “surprised and disappointed” to hear about the GRA attack.

I can't say much more than :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 keith-b

Mena wrote: »
    and then

I can't say much more than :confused:

thats ireland for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

**** sake, surely some tosser writing cheques would have investigated that invoice if they had any respect for actually doing their job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

lmimmfn wrote: »
    **** sake, surely some tosser writing cheques would have investigated that invoice if they had any respect for actually doing their job

Welcome to Parlon country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

lets take a look at this:
    Why could the Gardai not replace the light bulbs themselves?

So lets say its an old Gardai station. There are new regulations in place now and perhaps what happened is that a re-wiring job, plus new board had to be put in. It would then mean a new test being done and perhaps these three bulbs did need replacing but the rest of the lighting cable was replaced.

As we don't know the location of the Gardai station and the state of the wiring to say that it cost €1,000 to replace 3 bulbs is misleading. If the bulbs were up very high and a spark was called - you are talking 25euro an hour for labour, van and step ladders or else some sort of scaffolding for health & safety issues and three bulbs. Somewhere in the region of 100-150 euro would cover that.
    As we don't have all the information how can we know that 1000euro including VAT (823euro excluding VAT) isn't correct?
    Remember low energy bulbs must be used these days and a spark can not do work to cables that don't work anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    lets take a look at this:
    Why could the Gardai not replace the light bulbs themselves?
    I don't believe they're allowed to. Certainly if they're calling in someone to repair it must be sanctioned through the OPW. I've seen myself how ineffecient, costly, and time consuming this can be rather than getting someone in Admin to source it themselves.

This is a perfect example of how we can get some reform in the public service with a net saving to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

look guys i dont think we should comment until we hear the whole story.....Maybe it was a really good light bulb

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭max 73

thing is..........ithis is only the tip top of the gigantic iceberg, if someone had the balls to act in a way the private sector does in relation to these issues, we would not have to have increased taxes/levies/etc/etc - how much was wasted is anyones guess - and this is just with one arm of the public service!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'ld emigrate in a shot if the whole world wasnt just as screwed up as us:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

kbannon wrote: »
    Just the one but it will cost €1,000!
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/text/ireland/eyauidgbgbcw/
    Is it any wonder that decentralisation cost so much?

What if the claim is not true?

What if the claim is not true?

Then the Gardai are still in the Dark

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bob Z wrote: »
    Then the Gardai are still in the Dark
    Actually, do they not have torches?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

Its all about gravity and how gravy can be skimmed better from larger vessels. A central procurement agency with centralized control allows gravy to be skimmed very efficiently with little spillage and tight quality control. A decentralized procurement system puts local yokels in control some of whom would not appreciate how much gravy skimming adds to the well being of the country as a whole. Man may come and man may go but the behaviour of Irish politicians changes little and neither does the voting behaviour of the Irish electorate.

Hasschu wrote: »
    Its all about gravity and how gravy can be skimmed better from larger vessels. A central procurement agency with centralized control allows gravy to be skimmed very efficiently with little spillage and tight quality control. A decentralized procurement system puts local yokels in control some of whom would not appreciate how much gravy skimming adds to the well being of the country as a whole. Man may come and man may go but the behaviour of Irish politicians changes little and neither does the voting behaviour of the Irish electorate.

yea

Advertisement