Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to start DJing/mixing

• 28-04-2009 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

hello,

well as it says im looking to start djing, not for money or anything just for fun.

ive pretty much no idea at all about equipment other than u need turntables/laptops and a mixer.
    just curious if anyone could give me some info on a reletively cheap mixer that would work with laptops and djing in general like whats involved. I'm new to this pretty much but been listening to electronic/house for a good while now, listen to everything from deadmau5 to bloodybeetroots, justice, boys noize to name a few.

any info would be great!

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Depends on what way you want to do it, Vinyl/CD/Software or a combination of them. Learn your music learn how to count bars then learn how to beatmatch. It could take a few months or it could take a few weeks depending on how much time you put into it!

Here are a few links to get yourself started there are plenty of others out there obviously.

Tunes
    http://www.beatport.com

Equipment
    http://www.thomann.de

Lesson's
    www.djtutor.com/

Check out our radio channel on ustream, sign up and chat with the lads we are happy to help, schedule in my sig!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/kitchen-sync

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Beeers

cheers!

well i was thinking of cd turntables instead of vinyl, or even just software for a laptop.
    is it possible to just hook 2 laptops up to a mixer then dj off that using itunes or something? even though thats probably not real djing! just wondering.

no wont work you need one laptop with an external soundcard such as the maya 44 then get open source software such as www.mixxx.org.

If you have a few bob buy the torq xponent or a vestax vci-100

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hectic79

u could try virtual dj 4 d laptop to start u off would be a good first step, or u get a cheap set of decks n mixer if u want hands on approach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

hectic79 wrote: »
    u could try virtual dj 4 d laptop to start u off would be a good first step, or u get a cheap set of decks n mixer if u want hands on approach

Text talk :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Beeers wrote: »
    cheers!

well i was thinking of cd turntables instead of vinyl, or even just software for a laptop.
    is it possible to just hook 2 laptops up to a mixer then dj off that using itunes or something? even though thats probably not real djing! just wondering.

hi beeers,

I have my Hercules dj console for sale with Virtual Dj software. All you need to get started (apart from a pa!) Check it out here

yeah i have the virtual dj, been messing around with it a bit seems good, i really wouldnt know tho! im a bit of a complete beginner, not up to date with all the terms/equipment yet!

what do i need? decks, mixer, speakers, headphones?

cheers sweetie ill give it a look, im a bit broke at the moment though!

anyone got any other sites i could check out or any other advice?

thanks

yeah i have the virtual dj, been messing around with it a bit seems good, i really wouldnt know tho! im a bit of a complete beginner, not up to date with all the terms/equipment yet!

what do i need? decks, mixer, speakers, headphones?

cheers sweetie ill give it a look, im a bit broke at the moment though!

anyone got any other sites i could check out or any other advice?

thanks

with a midi controller like the hercules all you would need is headphones and some sort of speakers. It acts as a mixer and decks in one unit. Basically allowing you to play a track and listen/cue another for mixing in at the same time.

cool thanks,
    just wondering also are there any mixers that you can use with cd decks and a laptop?
    also sorry for the stupid questions but its the mixer that lets you loop and all that too isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hectic79

Text talk :mad:

what do u mean by tat ???

• Advertisement

cool thanks,
    just wondering also are there any mixers that you can use with cd decks and a laptop?
    also sorry for the stupid questions but its the mixer that lets you loop and all that too isnt it?

the hercules mk 2 can take upto two audio inputs (one to either channel)
    from a cd player, turntable etc and also can be connected to a regular mixer
    and have the channels of that mixer control the decks (mp3s) aswell as the
    controls on the unit itself. I have done this in a club setting and it worked
    well.

As it is a mixer, there are loop buttons on the interface that let you...loop! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭bananamansgay

il take that mixer off your hands for €100 sweetie ??

soo whats the point in cdjs then if i can just hook up the hercules mk 2 a laptop?

it's a cheaper alternative to cdjs, mixer and cds (laptop, midi controller, mp3s)
    and is good for someone starting out. Some people will prefer the bigger setup with more options and others the go the digital way.

ah its all just preferance then? i reckon ill try get my hands on 2 cdjs and a decent mixer if i can get a bit of money together! still have no clue about BMP and mixing at all though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Little explanation might be usefull. There are three main types of DJs, you have to choose which route you want to go down.

1. Oldschool - Two (or more) turntables connected to a mixer in the middle. That outputs to an amp on one channel, headphones on the other.

2. CD DJ - Replace the turntables with CDJs of some kind, everything else is the same. Note though that this can be very expensive, as can option 1. 2 CDJs depending on the model will cost in the region of a grand. Then add everything else on top of that.

3. Virtual DJ - Many Oldschoolers and some CD DJs have a burning hate for us(yeah, I'm one, well one in training). Thats their problem. You can have several different setups here. If you have 4K, go get an all in one unit, with HDD, CD decks, USB ports and a handfull of inputs. If you want to have money for food for the next year, then there are cheaper solutions. Normally you'll have a MIDI controller hooked up to a laptop. A MIDI controller is simply like adding a load of buttons to your laptop, it controls the software, turn the knob in your hand, effect the bass etc on screen. The other component is a dual souncard. Few laptops have these, so most use an external USB one. Sometimes its part of the MIDI controller, but often not. The soundcard is what you connect your Amp and Headphones to. These setups can cost just a few hundred, excluding a PA system that is.

This is pretty much what I have: (Not using CU LE though)
    numark-digital-dj-box.jpg

probably cdjs for me!
    i was thinking about getting 2 Gemini CDJ203 CD Players & a Numark DMX 06 mixer, what type of speakers would i need? would i need an amp?

you need an amp if the speakers are passive (cheaper) but not if they are active.

check out adverts for people selling gear. Have you considered something like
    the denon hdn4500, twin cd decks. I think there's one for sale there now. You
    would need a mixer with it too.

thanks will do,
    also can anyone recommend a decent cdj player that has about 3 hot starts feature?
    im guessing the hot start is the one where you set it to a certain point in a song and when you press the button it plays from point?

http://www.thomann.de/ie/gemini_cdj202.htm
    see the "3 optional Times" in the discription? is that the same as hot cues?
    sorry for stupid questions its confusing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

hectic79 wrote: »

I've got Virtual DJ Professional an i can recommend it as well.

• Advertisement

http://www.thomann.de/ie/gemini_cdj202.htm
    see the "3 optional Times" in the discription? is that the same as hot cues?
    sorry for stupid questions its confusing!

yeah i have the demo of virtual dj! it seems good.
    but in the quote above can anyone answer that question?

thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

If going CDJ's - get Pioneer. Its a very ratre time I see anything other than pioneer out in clubs etc - stick with the norm

ah they are a bit too expensive i think for me, im only beginning.
    couldnt find a good pioneer cdj for less than 500 each, id be spending 600 max for 2cdjs and a mixer really. then was gonna just get a cheap enough active monitor for my room.

cheers for the help mate!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Are you totally set on CDJ's? If you want a good solution but don't want to spend money on Pioneers etc - going fully digital could be a good move. If you already have a laptop just spend 500 yoyo's on an M-Audio Torq Xponent and you're sorted. IMO it's the best all in one solution without spending huge money.

Zascar wrote: »
    Are you totally set on CDJ's? If you want a good solution but don't want to spend money on Pioneers etc - going fully digital could be a good move. If you already have a laptop just spend 500 yoyo's on an M-Audio Torq Xponent and you're sorted. IMO it's the best all in one solution without spending huge money.

Agreed, Torq is great software very easy to use and you can get mad creative with it

Advertisement