Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCD now offering MSc in Criminology

• 28-04-2009 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Some of you might be interested to know that UCD is now offering a MSc in Criminology and Criminal Justice, run by the Institute of Criminology in the School of Law. This follows the model of the LLM (Criminology and Criminal Justice) last year - but unlike the LLM this course is open to non-law graduates. Modules available include:
    • Punishment, Prisons and Public Policy
    • Crime and Society
    • Advanced Criminological Theory
    • Terrorism and Counter Terrorism
    • Communities, Crime, and Consequences
    • Punishment and Violence: 1500–1800
    • Crime and Punishment
    • Policing and Social Control
    • International Criminal Justice
    • Issues in Comparative Criminal Justice
    • History and Theory of Penal Reform
    More details here; online applications here (course code B220).

FYI: I am a lecturer in the School of Law, and while I don't coordinate this particular course I'm happy to answer questions in respect of it to the best of my ability.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hi,
    Would it be fairly intense, then? What would it be like transitioning to law if you don't have that background? Mine is more in the social sciences.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

The course is denominated MSc rather than LLM reflecting the fact that it does not require a legal background - and indeed the majority of the courses would be taught from a broader social sciences perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

In relation to the successful completion of this course what employment

opportunities can postgraduates expect? Also is their a work placement in

this course?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Hi,
    Would it be fairly intense, then? What would it be like transitioning to law if you don't have that background? Mine is more in the social sciences.
    I can only speak from a general perspective because I've done a masters encompassing a number of aspects of the subjects TJM says are on offer: I can also only speak from the point of view of someone who has only ever studied law at third-level.

BUT. Many of the criminalogical sciences would rely heavily on sociology and history in tandem. There are ethical and moral issues, there are legal issues, rights issues and a host of other broad societal issues that are addressed. For those reasons, I'd imagine that there would be a significant overlap between the issues you will have covered through your background and the issues that would be covered here. Of course, you may find that adding a legal veneer will give you something extra. On the other hand, you might find you already know most of the substantive theory and you're just adding a gloss that is for all intents and purposes, useless. Sorry for the woolly answer!

Most of my essays that came under the criminology umbrella(-ella-ella-ay-ay-ay) would have addressed at least three of the following: political, economic, sociological, cultural, historical and legal issues. Obviously, depending on the subject in question, there will be other influencing factors that will require attention.

So I suppose criminology is, to the best of my knowledge, very broad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

I've recently been accepted to an LLM in Criminology and Criminal Justice in the UK. However, of late, i'm rethinking my options. I'm wondering is the investment worth it. Apart from the traditional legal professions, what other employment options are there for someone with an LLM/MSc in Criminology?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I sent an email earlier today and got this response back, didn't realise they were still accepting applications for the MSc.
    We are still accepting applications for the MSc. Further information and to apply online please visit

http://www.ucd.ie/law/graduatestudents/masterofscienceincriminologyandcriminaljustice/
    Full Time Study

The

MSc programme extends over the full year. There are twelve weeks of teaching in each semester with modules assessed by the end of each semester. Students take 60 credits of modules over two semesters and complete a 30 credit 15,000 word dissertation for submission in August. Most modules are 10 credits in length and some 5 credit modules also offered.
    Semester One
    September to December Students take 30 ECTS in modules
    Assessment in mid-December/early January

Semester Two
    January to May Students take 30 ECTS in modules
    Assessed by May/June

Summer Research Period
    Students write their 30

ECTS dissertation for submission in September
    Teaching
    A range of teaching methods are used so that students experience traditional lecture formats, discursive seminars, individual and group work and assessment methods that reflect teaching approaches.

Assessment
    Assessment methods include traditional unseen exam, take-home exam, open book exam, essays, class presentation, class participation. For each student there is a major written component in the form of the end of year dissertation.

For employment information please contact ian.odonnell@ucd.ie

It's tempting, and I appreciate your €0.02, hullaballo, but I wonder if I should try and do my homework a little bit more..Hmm.

I'd also be curious about employment opportunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

There would be very little hard law to this, though it would be very interesting. I imagine there is very little practical application for this in the legal world, even a criminal firm. It is probably better suited to those seeking to expand their academic horizons rather than employment horizons.

(Prof?) Ian O'Donnell is a very good lecturer though. He is extremely knowledgeable and expresses his findings/thoughts well.

So, a bit of a springboard to something else, really?

Just to clarify does anyone actually know what people who have done this course in the past actually go on to do? i'm not paying a few grand and not know why.

I'd agree. However it seems to be a new course or fairly new so students or graduates may be hard to come by.

• Advertisement

Back to the dole line it is. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Ciaran20041329

Have any of the graduates from this course gone on to do well in this area?I graduated with Criminal Justice and so far, there is nothing employment wise, its actually depressing. Im wondering would a masters in a similiar area be suicidal or might it help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Have any of the graduates from this course gone on to do well in this area?I graduated with Criminal Justice and so far, there is nothing employment wise, its actually depressing. Im wondering would a masters in a similiar area be suicidal or might it help?

You did an LLB or some sort of non-law undergraduate qualification in Criminology? I would have thought the only avenues where a background for lawyers or academia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Perhaps it's an appropriate avenues for one of the boys/girls on blue to undertake to seek advancement. Likewise DoJ civil servants.

Advertisement