Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bridge camera suggestions please

• 28-04-2009 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I'm in the market for a bridge camera to replace my DSLR kit. Can anyone recommend one that will also shoot HD Video but which comes a rechargeable battery.

I did like the idea of a canon SX10IS but for some reason they've decided to run it off AA batteries ?!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I'm a long time away from bridge cameras to make a recommendation but i wonder is your fear of AA's unfounded. Sure propriety batteries will be built for high capacity but a couple of rechargeable 2800NiMh's or better will generally give you plenty of shooting capacity. Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I think the official count is 300 images (obviously subjective to lab conditions, very best batteries etc). If I do go for one with video capabilities, I'd almost certainly retire my video camera as well, & I think that would be very heavy on the AAs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

charybdis wrote: »
    Don't.

i don't think this is helping the OP, do you?! :rolleyes:

OP - if you're set on that camera but worried about the capabilities of AA batteries then don't be. as previously said get yourself ones with as high a niMH value as possible.

the more reviews you read about a camera the more you drive yourself dotty IMO, so get into a bricks and mortar store and try it for yourself - even if you eventually buy online. they're not to know that are they? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

HD video I wouldnt have a clue about.

I used a Fuji 9500 for two years and that ran off AA batteries.
    I would go to a dog show and have the camera going all day long taking photos and video, heavy enough use and the 2700 batteries when fully charged used last me a day. I would always carry 2 or 3 backup sets of the older batteries that were fully charged just in case but I rarely got to use them, if ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭dinneenp

This is the one I bought- Panny FZ28

There’s very little between mine and Canon PowerShot SX10 IS
    Mine has a 18X zoom, macro lens etc. Canon has 20X. You can spend ages trying to choose- go into a store and feel them....

I got it for about €220 from Camera box. It costs about €350 or so it town.
    They also have a -
    B grade section

All the pictures here I took with it and I’m no expert, in fact the opposite-

Cameralabs is very good for reviews- they have top rated section, video tours of each camera. dpreview also has good reviews etc. but is a lot more detailed.

good luck,
    Pa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

artyeva wrote: »
    i don't think this is helping the OP, do you?! :rolleyes:

Yes. Yes I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

dinneenp wrote: »

I got it for about €220 from Camera box. It costs about €350 or so it town.

€220?

Should that not be £220 pounds sterling, plus delivery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭dinneenp

It must have been on sale when I bought it.....

have a look around other sites though- bound to get others with cheaper delivery (I bought a pair of runners from UK site that charged £15 delivery and afterwards someone else pointed out a site that did £5 delivery....

Advertisement