Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trabolgan?

• 28-04-2009 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi,

Just trying to decide on going to Trabolgan with my OH and two year old for a few days or not. I've heard very mixed reviews so far which is making the decision hard. We were hoping to go abroad but can't due to family reasons. So looking for somewhere child friendly that doesn't cost the earth. Any suggestions would be a great help.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Mrs JackDaniels

no replies :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How about Kerry if the weathers right...they've got waterslides for the little fella:)

I don't know much about trobolgan haven't been there in years, I thought they were housing all the illegal immigrants there...

Think thats mosney!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

We used to go loads when I was a kid and loved it, 23 now so its been years! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

its been about 4 years since i was there with my family.....DONT GO, it was undisputedly THE WORST holiday we EVER had, the place was run down 4 years ago so cant see it having got any better, its miles away from anywhere, and the food is terrible, the supermarket is WAY overpriced!! try a nice hotel near places you can bring ur 2yr old, like the fota wildlife park etc.

• Advertisement

meh off to trabolgan next monday
    bleedin child friendly Irish holidays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

There's loads of child friendly hotels all over the country with kids clubs.

Clare Bear wrote: »
    There's loads of child friendly hotels all over the country with kids clubs.

Not saying I want to go out drinking all night or anything, but if we stayed in a hotel with a child would'nt we have to be all wrapped in bed by 9pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

I was down there during the Summer for a day trip with a few friends. I think it would be great for the little fella.

There's food, amusements, a swimming pool and other things. Check their website out for whatever else they have.

I don't know about the sleeping facilities etc. as I don't have experience with them.

It's great if you get nice weather.

Good luck, hope you have fun :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

Don't do it.It's a run down kip.
    Lot's of good Hotel deals around with pools and kids club.
    Don't make your drive to long with the kid as this will lead to an unplesant start to your holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I went for a day when I was about 8 and I had a great time...As a poster previously said,if the weather treats you well you will have a good time.Theres quad biking,crazy golf and swimming and Im sure theres more.As you said you want to be able to chill with your OH while the child has a good time in the kiddie club.Its particuraly family orientated so they should have plent of child minding facilities etc
    have a great time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 smag

HI. I'm interested in going to trabolgan this year. We were there 8 years ago with a 4, 2, and 10 month old but really felt it was more for kids of more manageable age. Now our youngest is 4 and the other 3 are 8, 10 and 12 so hopefully they'd be more at an age to take part in the activities. Actually we weren't over the moon with the accomodation and thought it could do with a bit of a decoration. Wondering has anyone been there in the last year or two and what they thought.

Hey,

I was in Trabolgan a few weeks ago with a two year old and my OH.

I would never ever go near the place again.

It was full of people I would never want to be around normally, the house we stayed in was like a box, a dirty box at that!

The beds were awful, the food in the restaurant was vile and over priced.

The bluecoats were noisey and overbearing.

The only thing I did think was maybe if we had a few more people with us it would have been more bearable.

It was our first time holidaying in Ireland and i won't be doing it again anytime soon.

Anyway rant over hope this helps!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

So how is trabolgan now? The misses wants to go there for a week dont know why, i was there about 15 year ago as a kid it was alright cant remember what the accomodation was like as i was always out bit has it changed?
    Prices average at a grand for a week,i know i could get a holiday away for that but we have been everywhere now kids are 13,7 and 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RenaOK

jimmynokia wrote: »
    So how is trabolgan now? The misses wants to go there for a week dont know why, i was there about 15 year ago as a kid it was alright cant remember what the accomodation was like as i was always out bit has it changed?
    Prices average at a grand for a week,i know i could get a holiday away for that but we have been everywhere now kids are 13,7 and 3.

Hi Jimmy
    Sent you a PM on this...Hope it helps -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Don't bother, the place is a kip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Try Kellys in Rosslare instead fab place great food and super facilities for Kids, from what we can see we don't have any.

aujopimur wrote: »
    Don't bother, the place is a kip

from your personal experience why is it a kip?when where you there last.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

@ Jimmynokia I dont think its fair to trabolgan bringing this old thread back up again, seen as the experience was a negative one. They might have made improvements. Should have started a new thread, just click on 'new thread' ..................

JMSE wrote: »
    @ Jimmynokia I dont think its fair to trabolgan bringing this old thread back up again, seen as the experience was a negative one. They might have made improvements. Should have started a new thread, just click on 'new thread' ..................

Well if i did start a new thread it would be either removed or merged makes no odds as its trabolgan we are talking about,by posting on the thread refreshes it so to speak, i know what your saying but i know the outcome.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Everyone has their own different experencies on Trabolgan. Have a read thru Trip Advisor aswell.

We have been going down every year since 2006 and that's a 7 night stay and then again for a long bank holiday weekend. Needless to say we love it, or the kid's do and that's the main aim on our family holiday's. We have stayed in both the house's and the camping site. The houses are basic, you are provided with cooker, microwave, kettle, pot's pan's & all utensils. Bed's are dressed, you need to bring the rest. The bigger houses have washing machines.
    The houses do need to be upgraded to be honest, matrasses are terrible but we coped. We dont spend our whole holiday in them it's just a base so it was fine.
    Camping facilities fantastic, can't fault them.
    They have spent some money last year though on some of the area's and it does make a difference. It has lots to offer you'r 3 kids, 3 year old's activities will be all free but you will have to pay extra for the older childrens activities if they want to join in.
    I found entertainment good, can get quite hot and packed in the entertainment area at night so get a seat inside the door on the right.
    Summer can be mad up there because when it full is't enough but they also let tour groups, and day visitors in which I think they should not do during busy months, and they also have local membersip's.
    All in all we find it good for what we want at the moment, my kids are 3 & 5 so they are easily pleased.
    If you can afford it, I would say go abroad, even if you have been everywhere!

thanks for that we cant really go abroad as the OH mother is not well and we dont want the hassle of the getting home lark,we have been everywhere none the less and i would of rather went abroad but had to bite my tongue,once its enjoyable for the kids its cool and there is good entertainment,i remember when i was there last there was a kids side and an adults side and there was a pub now i was only 12 or 13 then,is there a pub there and food where you can get decent grub and have a drink.

There is a pub there an it's adult only after 9pm. They do carvery there during the day, but I have'nt ate there. The restaurant we ate there in 2008, did'nt enjoy it and have'nt ate there since. We uaually go down to White Gate and buy some meat at the local spar. Butcher counter is great value and great meat's. The chipper there is very good and do good pizzas. Hubby uses golf course and say's it's great.
    Kid's will enjoy it though, they make buddies really easy.
    Any other questions just ask.
    I do think the houses are expensive for the summer month's, were heading to Quality Hotel in Clonakilty this year for a week and hope to do Trabolgan in Nov. mid term.

Once there is somethin for all is all im concerned about really,the bed issue is something though i like my comfort and my sleep.The pub been only adults after 9 is prob ok as the kids are goin to be there and i suppose i can get a take out and then the chipper sounds cool.thanks for your messages.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Once there is somethin for all is all im concerned about really,the bed issue is something though i like my comfort and my sleep.The pub been only adults after 9 is prob ok as the kids are goin to be there and i suppose i can get a take out and then the chipper sounds cool.thanks for your messages.

The kid's are allowed into the main entertainment area all night, it's starts with show's like Barney, FiremanSam, Bob The Builder etc at around 7 and goes on till the wee hours, usually finishes with a disco. This area is totally kid friendly and has a bar aswell. Make sure and get to see the puppet show in the dark, it's brillant the way it's done.

kip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭sok2005

We were thinking of heading there in August with our 3 yr old and 1 yr old...... how kippy is kip? If I get a better house will it be less kip?! :D

The brouchure looks great but i've never stayed there before

Advertisement