Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pysics for Leaving Cert.

Options
  • 28-04-2009 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Anyone doing/done leaving cert physics????????

I am in ty and am stuck with subject choice. I am not sure should I do ag science or physics. I love sciences and have picked bio and chem already.

Anyone who is doing or has done leaving cert physics, what was it like? I got an A in junior cert maths and science but I am not sure would I be able for the maths part of physics??? Also is having a good teacher important??

I need advice so anyone doing/done leaving cert physics, what is/was it like????

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

from what i can recall from leaving cert physics the maths is not all that hard. if you got a A in maths and science in the J.Cert then you will be well able for leaving cert physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Heya.
    Physics was probably my favourite subject at school so my opinion may be biased.
    Its actually a really simple course. The maths is easy and the formulas/definitions aren't too diffucult to remember. Theres also an overlap with the chemistry course (atomic theory, electrochemistry, gas laws) which you will be happy to hear.

Is having a good teacher important?
    Hmmm, I wouldnt know because I usually fell asleep in class.
    ( Do NOT follow in my footsteps ) :p
    Im sure a good teacher can iron out any problems/questions you have with the course but Its a subject you could probably teach yourself to be honest.

I would defenitely recommend Physics over Ag.Science. There really arent many resources out there for Ag.Science students at the moment, whereas there are a lot of revision books, study sites for physics.

And do colleges even accept biology + ag.science :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

from what i can recall from leaving cert physics the maths is not all that hard. if you got a A in maths and science in the J.Cert then you will be well able for leaving cert physics.
    I got a B in jc maths honours and I find the maths the hardest. The actually maths is not hugely bad it's the trying to figure out what you are meant to do that's the problem. I loved science at jc but it's fairly different at lc. If you are doing applied maths and are very very logical I think you would be ok at it. But to be honest if you just want it for points building ag science is much easier and the project takes some pressure off in June!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

And yes ag science and biology are accepted at third level! Except for denominated courses in chemistry or physics or 5 yr medicine!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

I did my leaving cert last year. I studied physics and hons maths.
    The maths side of physics was never an issue provided I understood the theory behind it.
    The maths skills never go beyond simple algebra, and a good ability to substitute and balance equations.
    I found parts of the theory hard, but don't let that put you off, you'll get that in any subject.
    I got a B3 and C2 in phys and maths repsectively.
    I found the coursework difficult for physics, but it all clicked in the last month or two, I wish it was part of my couse now! (Studying computer applications in dcu, great course, great college, anyone considering either - questions more than welcome)

Also, with regard to 3rd level, higher leaving cert physics will leave you more than able for studying science/physics in college

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

If you enjoy maths and science, there should be nothing stopping ya. I got a B in JC Maths and Science ( althou I could have sworn I got A's :pac: ), and I loved both of the subjects. But LC Maths and Physics are completely diff to JC. Sure there was nearly 60 people in my Maths class at the start of the year, now there is 9. :rolleyes: I really love both the subjects, but some parts of the courses are intense. If you put in effort however, it will be ok. Its just hard to remember the reams of formulas and definitions, + the experiments.

Goodluck.

Also, if you do ordinary level physics, you're given any relative formulae on the paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭myfatherrsson

In my opinion Physics will come to you like a second language if you take an interest in it which means you must like it. Its a challenging enough course, really really interesting expecially if you do appl maths but if ya dont its no problem!

Depends really what you want at the end....easy points or a course you'll like! Havin said that ive heard that because everyones jumpin on the Ag Science band wagon theyre making the test harder....

Nanaki wrote: »
    Also, if you do ordinary level physics, you're given any relative formulae on the paper

Ord Physics is nothing thou in comparison to HL. No comparison what so ever.

Oh I know. But it's something worth knowing, I know people who dropped not knowing that, and were disappointed, they didn't realise the huge difference, and reckoned they'd have managed the higher paper

• Advertisement

Ah yeah. The higher is worth the push. I cant look at an ordinary paper without cracking a smile. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

PySiCs:confused:

.:FuZion:. wrote: »
    Ah yeah. The higher is worth the push. I cant look at an ordinary paper without cracking a smile. :p
    I distinctly remember the day of the exams :P laughing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭enner43

Yeah theres a huge difference between the two. I did pass physics and finished the paper in 1 and a half hrs. still got an A1. probably would have been well able for honours but i just never really liked the subject and wasnt willing to work at it as much as i should have

I distinctly remember the day of the exams :P laughing

Great crack alright. :p
    enner43 wrote: »
    Yeah theres a huge difference between the two. I did pass physics and finished the paper in 1 and a half hrs. still got an A1. probably would have been well able for honours but i just never really liked the subject and wasnt willing to work at it as much as i should have

Honours seemed to be a possibility alright with an A1 man. :p

Tbh I was smiling every day, possibly the least stressful month of my secondary school time, senior cycle at least

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Anyone doing/done leaving cert physics????????

I am in ty and am stuck with subject choice. I am not sure should I do ag science or physics. I love sciences and have picked bio and chem already.

Anyone who is doing or has done leaving cert physics, what was it like? I got an A in junior cert maths and science but I am not sure would I be able for the maths part of physics??? Also is having a good teacher important??

I need advice so anyone doing/done leaving cert physics, what is/was it like????

Thanks

I got A's in JC Science and maths too and did Physics and Maths for the LC.
    Maths was my fav subject and my guaranteed A1. I hated physics soooo much. I liked the particle physics and the mechanics(also did applied maths) side but electricity and magnetism:(:(. Anyhu, i didnt bother learning off those elect formula or definitions and went into exam knowing my madatory experiments and random info on other topics. Wasnt planning on counting it at all (contemplated dropping to pass the week before). Even after the exam i was like "phew....hopefully get a B.

Got A1 :eek:and was like wtf?

So basically what im saying is they arent too picky about "perfect definitions" or anything as long as you can convey an understanding.

So....i reckon Physics would be a better option(particularly if you have a good teacher....i didnt) unless you are genuinely good at learning off info....which would make ag sci a really good option.

At times with Physics.... you will say "wow, thats really interesting" and more times you will fall asleep but in the end..........you'll get an A1...prob:P

THAT WAS LOOOOOOOOONG

Tbh I was smiling every day, possibly the least stressful month of my secondary school time, senior cycle at least

This is the most stressful time for me, need to wrap all these courses up and have everything learned off before June 3rd. The joys. :rolleyes:

I liked the particle physics and the mechanics(also did applied maths) side but electricity and magnetism:(:(.
    Got A1 :eek:and was like wtf?

Yeah I love the particle physics and mechanics too, althou I think parts of mechanics can be confusing. :rolleyes: Also hate electricity. :( Its pure sh*te.

A1, fair play!! :D How could you contemplate dropping? :eek: :pac:

This is the most stressful time for me, need to wrap all these courses up and have everything learned off before June 3rd. The joys. :rolleyes:

Ah, I mentioned nothing of the time beforehand ;)
    that wasn't so much stressful as busy with work, however I don't stress over stuff like academia :P
    You'll be fine, plenty of time left.

Also, <3 electricity & magnetism & nuclear physics ^_^

• Advertisement

Ah, I mentioned nothing of the time beforehand ;)
    that wasn't so much stressful as busy with work, however I don't stress over stuff like academia :P
    You'll be fine, plenty of time left.

Also, <3 electricity & magnetism & nuclear physics ^_^

True. :pac:
    I wish I could be the same. :p
    Cheers ;) I hope so. :p My study basically consists of Maths and Physics. :p

Well I hated it at the start. Stil not too fond of it because I dont seem to get the answers write to questions on resistance and stuff, why I tend to stay away from it. :rolleyes: But im getting used to the questions on it. Like Magnetism thou, and particle / nuclear physics, who couldnt love that. :pac:

True. :pac:
    I wish I could be the same. :p
    Cheers ;) I hope so. :p My study basically consists of Maths and Physics. :p

Well I hated it at the start. Stil not too fond of it because I dont seem to get the answers write to questions on resistance and stuff, why I tend to stay away from it. :rolleyes: But im getting used to the questions on it. Like Magnetism thou, and particle / nuclear physics, who couldnt love that. :pac:

Ah yeah, it'll all settle down right before the exams.
    Ahh yes, good old maths. Got to love it very much over may and june =P
    Yeah, I hated all of physics till it clicked the month before the exam, then started to see links everywhere, and grew to like it.
    I never did an option, my class was full of people who had no idea what was going on, we spent the time doing revision :P highest mock result: mine, 31%. Class of 12, 3 do higher on the day, only I pass. A snapshot of our class :pac:

Ah yeah, it'll all settle down right before the exams.
    Ahh yes, good old maths. Got to love it very much over may and june =P
    Yeah, I hated all of physics till it clicked the month before the exam, then started to see links everywhere, and grew to like it.
    I never did an option, my class was full of people who had no idea what was going on, we spent the time doing revision :P highest mock result: mine, 31%. Class of 12, 3 do higher on the day, only I pass. A snapshot of our class :pac:

I cant wait for it to settle down. I see what you mean alright, things are starting to click. Today I was on fire in Physics class, guy who answers all the questions said he knew I was doin my study and he would let me have my moment. :pac: We must have a class of no more than 15. Mabye 4 doin ordinary. Mabye another 5 failing honours. Another few getting D's / C's. Then one boy genius who was gutted he didnt get an A in the Pre, while others were getting 25% and the likes. :P I just about passed my pre, but didnt even know what an experiment was. Starting graphing things the wrong way and all sorts. :rolleyes: Needless to say I have them all in the bag now. :P :cool:

Yeah, I was pretty much the only one who could follow the teacher, and that's being modest.
    As I said in the "Correctors" thread, pay no attention to the mocks grade you got.
    Work on the individual flaws in the exam, for example graphing. They're to see what you need to work on, but mainly to give you an idea of timing. Not what you are going to get.
    Haha, good stuff. Yeah, I got less than 30% in the exp section in the actual exam :P
    I'd recommend viewing your scripts

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Yeah I love the particle physics and mechanics too, althou I think parts of mechanics can be confusing. :rolleyes: Also hate electricity. :( Its pure sh*te.

A1, fair play!! :D How could you contemplate dropping? :eek: :pac:

Ya Circular motion was a bit of a toughie. I know! Happy i didnt now:P.
    I was sure i wouldnt be counting it but in the end i did obv.

I have to say i still hate the subject though haha

Yeah, I was pretty much the only one who could follow the teacher, and that's being modest.
    As I said in the "Correctors" thread, pay no attention to the mocks grade you got.
    Work on the individual flaws in the exam, for example graphing. They're to see what you need to work on, but mainly to give you an idea of timing. Not what you are going to get.
    Haha, good stuff. Yeah, I got less than 30% in the exp section in the actual exam :P
    I'd recommend viewing your scripts

You must have felt extremely intelligent. :p Good advice, cheers. ;) Yeah I thought you just picked the figures out of the tables and throw them onto graphs, no clue you had to manipulate them. :pac: Haha sweet! I hope I get the same. :D Yeah I defo want to. Should be fun in some ways. :p Did you ave a look at all yours? See any mistakes you made that were really unnecessary?

Ya Circular motion was a bit of a toughie. I know! Happy i didnt now:P.
    I was sure i wouldnt be counting it but in the end i did obv.

I have to say i still hate the subject though haha

Twas in fairness. I hated the Lenses / Refraction question thou from last year. Thought it was awful.

How can you hate a subject you get an A1 in. :pac: :P

Fuzion:
    not overly :P I was one of few who put effort in.
    Yeah I looked at everything, saw lots, got no more marks than I deserved, didn't bother appealing anything, although I was unhappy with my B in irish.
    Never really understood circular motion :pac: http://xkcd.com/123/
    Nor light for that matter! The question on our paper was highly practical, but difficult

Fuzion:
    not overly :P I was one of few who put effort in.
    Yeah I looked at everything, saw lots, got no more marks than I deserved, didn't bother appealing anything, although I was unhappy with my B in irish.
    Never really understood circular motion :pac: http://xkcd.com/123/
    Nor light for that matter! The question on our paper was highly practical, but difficult

Just a small bit. :p Ah right, cool. I hate languages anyways, load of sh*te. :rolleyes:
    Haha that sketch is quality!! :pac:
    I know! I HATED that question when I saw it first in the exam papers. It just didnt register in my head and I couldnt work out logical explanations..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Tbh, I wouldn't pick either if I were you. You said you've already selected two sciences so relax, pal, and spread your interest yonder the realms "pure" science. It'll make 5th and 6th year more diverse and interesting.

I do physics myself. It's piss easy. It's not like chem where they crucify you for not knowing definitions, but it's the most uninteresting thing you'll ever do. Seriously, it's boring as hell.

People say the maths is difficult, but if you were able to do first maths you'll have no problems.

I know it sounds like I hate physics, but like I said above, it's pretty handy. My lowest score this year is 98%. No consolation for being a dull subject though.

I don't do agsci, but my friends have just said it's a short course that's pretty similar to bio, but also, pretty dull if you're not from a rural background.

If I was choosing again, I'd probably pick DCG over physics. It's a new course so everyone's a beginner and some of my pals who only took it up in 5th year are finding it handy enough. I also find it intriguing that you have the chance to do a project in 6th year worth 40% (ish?) of your grade.

Or applied maths = [(Fun calculus)(real physics)]^2

Personally, I find ye ol' AM the most interesting and rewarding LC subject and physics is in no way necessary.

Good Luck, buddy.

Advertisement