Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pysics for Leaving Cert.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Tbh, I wouldn't pick either if I were you. You said you've already selected two sciences so relax, pal, and spread your interest yonder the realms "pure" science. It'll make 5th and 6th year more diverse and interesting.

I do physics myself. It's piss easy. It's not like chem where they crucify you for not knowing definitions, but it's the most uninteresting thing you'll ever do. Seriously, it's boring as hell.

People say the maths is difficult, but if you were able to do first maths you'll have no problems.

I know it sounds like I hate physics, but like I said above, it's pretty handy. My lowest score this year is 98%. No consolation for being a dull subject though.

I don't do agsci, but my friends have just said it's a short course that's pretty similar to bio, but also, pretty dull if you're not from a rural background.

If I was choosing again, I'd probably pick DCG over physics. It's a new course so everyone's a beginner and some of my pals who only took it up in 5th year are finding it handy enough. I also find it intriguing that you have the chance to do a project in 6th year worth 40% (ish?) of your grade.

Or applied maths = [(Fun calculus)(real physics)]^2

Personally, I find ye ol' AM the most interesting and rewarding LC subject and physics is in no way necessary.

Good Luck, buddy.

Agree about the Applied Maths thing.
    Dont agree about the "piss easy" thing.

thing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

The maths in physics is extremely basic. Somehow they have managed to remove all of the calculus from it (except for Faraday's law, and even then, it's a sham), so it's all just "learn this equation, put in values, answer".

I wouldn't agree entirely with it being boring - I think electromagnetic induction is amazing, and "modern physics" in general is pretty cool. The really properly interesting stuff comes along after the LC (okay yeah light interferes with itself, young's slits, but WHY?). There's only so much depth one can go into something at LC, and in the case of science, this can be lacking and frustrating for the more inquisitive students... and from casually reading LC biology/chemistry books I suspect it's the same for them all, not just physics.

Anyway I have to defend physics, I'm doing it in college. Physics is deadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dobthe1st

the maths in LC physics Higher Level is on par with Oridinary Level LC maths id say, otherwise to do Higher Level Physics, you would need to be doing Higher level maths. dont have a clue about Ag science to be honest.

i did physics for the LC and am now in 3rd yr of an engineering degree and doin well in physics made it a bit more interesting, most (if not all?) science/engineering degrees will cover LC physics and chemistry at some stage, and physics does have a bit of cross-over with chemistry (nuclear and such).

if youre looking for higher points though, the teacher will have a large part to play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

There's only so much depth one can go into something at LC, and in the case of science, this can be lacking and frustrating for the more inquisitive students... and from casually reading LC biology/chemistry books I suspect it's the same for them all, not just physics.

Anyway I have to defend physics, I'm doing it in college. Physics is deadly.

Yessum, yessum. LC bio can get very frustrating at times. I sometimes read the stuff and just think, "care to show me why that's true, please?".

Chem is better, and always interesting, but still WAY below A-Level standard.

The ultimate irony, for me, is that the subject which is least inhibited by a syllabus is English. The only limit (bar question parameters, obviously) placed on an English essay is the ability / lack thereof of the student to thoroughly examine the literature, society, and indeed, themselves.

And I thought science was more fun. :eek:

Advertisement