Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom bb noise/latency

Options
  • 28-04-2009 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

I have an Eircom bb line for the last couple of years - over the last few months the latency has gone through the roof. On my router the stats show the following:

Speed (Down) 3072 kbps (Up) 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down) 14.0 db (Up) 7.0 db
    Noise Margin (Down) 13.5 db (Up) 13.0 db

The db's seem very low and maybe thats the problem? Anyone know what noice/attenuation levels are acceptable?

thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Your Line Attenuation seems to be great, you must live quite close to the exchange. Though would of tought your Noise margin would be a little higher seen as your only on a 3mb package.

Also could be wrong here but I dont think latency is directly related to your line stats? tought it just reflected what max speeds you can avail of without dropping connection alot.

Are you using a wireless or wired connection when you get high latency. Also I know that recently with eircoms upgrades they applied interleaving which made pings go up. This would have happened a few months back and is maybe the source of the problem your having

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

the delay is on the wired connection (mostly). Seems to just pause or slow right down, then its grand for a while, then slows down again. Usually the pings are fine but sometimes get really high.
    IgsTer wrote: »
    Your Line Attenuation seems to be great, you must live quite close to the exchange. Though would of tought your Noise margin would be a little higher seen as your only on a 3mb package.

Also could be wrong here but I dont think latency is directly related to your line stats? tought it just reflected what max speeds you can avail of without dropping connection alot.

Are you using a wireless or wired connection when you get high latency. Also I know that recently with eircoms upgrades they applied interleaving which made pings go up. This would have happened a few months back and is maybe the source of the problem your having

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Are you the only one connected to the router/modem or is it also sharing the connection with other computers or devices around the house? If there are other computers/laptops connected to it wireless or not this will make your latency go up and down alot.

Advertisement