Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assignment 10 - Motoring

• 28-04-2009 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

The Theme is Motoring - specifically cars.

The Rules.

*Photos must be in by 2 weeks of given task - closing date 11th May
    *No old photos. Only photos taken with task in mind and within the 2 weeks.
    *Photos must be on the given task.
    *ONE photo per post. Post as many as you like.
    *Do discuss in a negative/positive manner but be nice about it.
    *Stretch yourself.
    *Next task/subject to be choosen by person who has the most thanks after their post (must include a picture in the post ).
    *Smile & Be Happy!

Example:
    29_07_4---Citroen-2CV_web.jpg?&k=Citroen+2CV

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

3491846727_c35b5aae56_o.jpg
    1975 BMW 3.0 CSL.

Taken with this equipment:
    3469659646_ba46b56836_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭pft

0E9BD5AA9EF24732B29D168BF353A0AE-800.jpg
    The Theme is Motoring - specifically cars.
    Hopefully this isn't considered cheating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Lucky me...

4DA3464A470F461280DCC992E88C3052-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭salamanca

Gear-lever:-
    438D7B7FBDAD439F955E7F35CFD4A103-800.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭77kevinhalvey77

aston martin in the nec motorshow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 steve_vdub

my camera aint the best but i try

DSCF0772.jpg

adc2.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

steve_vdub wrote: »
    my camera aint the best but i try

Unfortunately doesn't count - pic must be taken within the two weeks allocated to the challenge.

The Rules.

*Photos must be in by 2 weeks of given task - closing date 11th May

aston martin in the nec motorshow

Nice pic, but same goes for yours. Pic has to be taken withing the two week timeframe. That's the whole point of the assignment, get out and take a pic with the theme in mind.

taken 2 nights ago with my phone even wore quality but still
    DSC00219.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 technobreed

taken 2 nights ago with my phone even wore quality but still
    DSC00219.jpg

Looks more like a "FIRE" assignment rather than MOTOR

clearly a car in the background boss

Your phone caught fire? That's a new one on me, "Boss". :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Now if the CAR was on fire, that'd be grand :D

Humberklog - where did you come across the beemer?

Here's one.....

Carmoving.jpg

and another one....

Carwash.jpg

thought it was about cars not water????

and another one....

Carwash.jpg

This is really artistic. I think shot from the rear seat thru the rear glass smeared with water. The view is really fantastic. :)

Good work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Ah don't be bitter, you'll be sorted when the fire assignment comes round :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭simonp1

5369068D291D4452A0F272CEBBE05FA5-800.jpg

• Advertisement

Ha ha ha, You really make laugh.

I really did not mean to hurt you by my comment. My comment came naturally.

ROTFL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Rb wrote: »
    Ah don't be bitter, you'll be sorted when the fire assignment comes round :pac:
    Ha ha ha, You really make laugh.

I really did not mean to hurt you by my comment. My comment came naturally.

ROTFL :D

Ye make me laugh, this is about motoring. Steve_dub gets criticised for posting a picture of a car behind fire. A member, with more posts, then posts a picture of something which is based on water, and nothing is said.:rolleyes:

IMG_3452.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Heres my entry. I have a few more ideas in mind that hope to get around to in next few days.

Click for larger view
    3501719581_d50815ae3b.jpg
    Don't worry the car wasn't moving!

Transformer
    Here is my entry for the MOTOR assignment.

Look forward to your comments. Especially from Steve :pac:

transformerb.jpg

This is original picture shot by me using Nokia N73 ME mobile's 3.2 MegaPixel Camera with Calr Zeiss Tessar 2.8/5.6 lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bantaman

Assignment_10_600x400.jpg

1. Photo taken in the garden
    2. F/13 50mm ISO-100
    3. Canon EOS30D

First time doing one of these assignments - took this Thursday night after washing the car. I used an led torch and a halogen torch to light the car up - far from perfect.

Edits: I have cleared the number plate and I also removed a light trail caused by me running away from the car with the torch in my hand.

im no keyboard warrior i just thought for my first time using boards the people here would be a bit more welcoming obviously not

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

mrmac wrote: »
    Now if the CAR was on fire, that'd be grand :D

Humberklog - where did you come across the beemer?
    It's on display in IMMA. It's part of an exhibition, this is by Alexander Calder and is on view on the front lawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

im no keyboard warrior i just thought for my first time using boards the people here would be a bit more welcoming obviously not

Don't be put off by a bit of criticism :D
    The shots you've taken show you have a decent eye for a good photograph, but the first two didn't qualify because they weren't taken during the assignment period, and tbh, the last one looked like it was a picture of the fire, that just happened to have a car in the background.

I think that's why you weren't getting a lot of encouragement, as your picture looked more of an "accident" as opposed to the one by pullandbang, which was a definite attempt to meet the assignment. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but that's how it looks to me.

Lastly, by posting your pictures on here, you're going to attract comments, some good - some harsh. BUT none are personal. Loads of people here have learnt a lot by others giving honest feedback. You can either, accept this - and learn, or "take the hump" and think everyone is against you!

I hope you decide to stay .........

3504873265_748054302d.jpg

• Advertisement

Unfair tbh, Longshanks, that car is photogenic!:P

Unfair tbh, Longshanks, that car is photogenic!:P

:D

3504873265_1a5aec54fd.jpg

Nice shot, I was wondering for a sec did you actually use a rig for it... On further inspection it's obvious that it's just some (quite good) photoshop :p

You nailed the front wheel but the back one looks all over the shop. A circle of blur in the centre... And the threads are still 100% visible ;) Oh, and there wouldn't be a static reflection on the side if it was moving. Even putting it into the new background was almost 100% spot on, just a few bits here and there that need touching up :)

also the ghost driver was a bit of a hint!

i wont be leaving the site im not that easily put off...just put a bit more effort into the next challenge

Nice shot, I was wondering for a sec did you actually use a rig for it... On further inspection it's obvious that it's just some (quite good) photoshop :p

You nailed the front wheel but the back one looks all over the shop. A circle of blur in the centre... And the threads are still 100% visible ;)

First of all cheers!.....but no fly's on you ;)
    If I managed to convince you for a few seconds that I might have used a ring then i happy im doing something right - have only been messing with PS for a few months in spare time!
    I know what you mean about the rear wheel, looks bad up close but i just couldn't get the radial blur right with such a narrow ellipse. Any suggestions?
    Oh, and there wouldn't be a static reflection on the side if it was moving. Even putting it into the new background was almost 100% spot on, just a few bits here and there that need touching up :)

also the ghost driver was a bit of a hint!
    Never thought of the side reflection - something to watch out for the next time! Ghost driver is a must until i can talk the girlfriend into tagging along!

Any pics of the origional?

• Advertisement

First of all cheers!.....but no fly's on you ;)
    Hehe ;) Wouldn't want to be if I ever hope for a career in forensics!
    If I managed to convince you for a few seconds that I might have used a ring then i happy im doing something right - have only been messing with PS for a few months in spare time!
    Doesn't show! Could swear you've been using it for years. You're defo doing something right!
    I know what you mean about the rear wheel, looks bad up close but i just couldn't get the radial blur right with such a narrow ellipse. Any suggestions?
    hm... Never actually tried what you did so I've never used a radial blur...

What I have seen used (and this is some serious photoshopping but...) is to jack up the car and get the wheels spinning in the air, then shoot that. Then just shop it back onto the original as a layer. It's a lot of work, especially as you have to get the shooting angle the same, but it does look good in the end!
    Never thought of the side reflection - something to watch out for the next time! Ghost driver is a must until i can talk the girlfriend into tagging along!

If I wasn't a physics student or on the ball I mightn't have copped it ;) Circular polarizer should kill the reflections to save you shopping them out. If not...best of luck! It's a lot of work to do it :D

Ghost driver isn't the biggest of deals tbh. You wouldn't notice too much anyway. It just got me interested enough to look at a high res version! :p

bantaman wrote: »
    Assignment_10_600x400.jpg

1. Photo taken in the garden
    2. F/13 50mm ISO-100
    3. Canon EOS30D

First time doing one of these assignments - took this Thursday night after washing the car. I used an led torch and a halogen torch to light the car up - far from perfect.

Edits: I have cleared the number plate and I also removed a light trail caused by me running away from the car with the torch in my hand.

Hi mate. Excellent lighting.

3504873265_662977681a.jpg

Now thats what I call a winning entry. simply super shot.

Please share the details of equipment / techniques / digital edits.

Mate, no hard feelings for you at all. Please take my/our comments in the right spirit. look forward to hear / see alot from you.

Cheers.

J

Thanks a million!! I’ll post up my (limited) technique at lunchtime….but vote for me first:pac:
    :D

• Advertisement

One more from me.
    IMG_3434.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

1979702479_49a9729a1d_o.jpg

I used a Canon 1000D with the kit lens set at 18mm (as wide as it will go) and in Aperture mode at f9.0. Took three pics using a different exposure in each; -1, 0 & +1. This is the second exposure (i.e. at 0)
    83509378.jpg

I then created a HDR jpeg using photomatrix software. Just played around with sliders until i was happy with it. As the car wasn't clean i was hoping for a dark / moody kinda look.

After that i copied the outline of the car into a new layer and blurred the background (done ground and sky separately) to try and give effect car was moving. After that I then played around with the wheels using radial blur to make them look like they were moving also. I wasn't too successful with the rear one on first post but I've since had another go and the original pic is now updated.

Then I gave the windows a light darkening tint (to hide fact that nobody was driving :)) but didn't wanna go dark as looked sh1te. Lastly done a high pass filter to sharpen the pic. Imaged flattened, cropped, framed and posted on flickr!

Limerick man, it that your MG B GT in the pic thats also on adverts?
    I like the old look to the pic, but maybe you went slightly too far with the effect? Now im no expert, and i obviously don't know exactly what you are after, but i think you've lost too much of the detail. Maybe drop the opacity of the filter layer a bit?

Cool car by the way!

Limerick man, it that your MG B GT in the pic thats also on adverts?
    I like the old look to the pic, but maybe you went slightly too far with the effect? Now im no expert, and i obviously don't know exactly what you are after, but i think you've lost too much of the detail. Maybe drop the opacity of the filter layer a bit?

Cool car by the way!

Thanks, the Mg isn't mine, it's the cousins. Both of them (the one for sale is a GT, the one pictured is roadster).

I don't know what look I was going for, but fiddling around with different setting that one just popped up, and I liked the look of it. I think the loss of detail adds to the effect, although you'd have to be in my head to understand the effect, lol.

Thanks for the comments btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭kdak

pic of a mates rx7

mick.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Pic from my car or cars....
    3509353375_77b1a6bfee_o.jpg

Just though it let people know that i cleared it with the mods to post a link to this thread in the motors section...link

I used a Canon 1000D with the kit lens set at 18mm (as wide as it will go) and in Aperture mode at f9.0. Took three pics using a different exposure in each; -1, 0 & +1. This is the second exposure (i.e. at 0)
    83509378.jpg

I then created a HDR jpeg using photomatrix software. Just played around with sliders until i was happy with it. As the car wasn't clean i was hoping for a dark / moody kinda look.

After that i copied the outline of the car into a new layer and blurred the background (done ground and sky separately) to try and give effect car was moving. After that I then played around with the wheels using radial blur to make them look like they were moving also. I wasn't too successful with the rear one on first post but I've since had another go and the original pic is now updated.

Then I gave the windows a light darkening tint (to hide fact that nobody was driving :)) but didn't wanna go dark as looked sh1te. Lastly done a high pass filter to sharpen the pic. Imaged flattened, cropped, framed and posted on flickr!

Thats some hard work LS. Result is great.

kdak wrote: »
    pic of a mates rx7

mick.jpg

The light flares (stars) effect gives a stunning look. Good Job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement