Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Bike Scheme

Options
  • 28-04-2009 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭

JC Deceaux have been spotted supervising ground works on Charlemont Place near the Luas stop - maybe we are going to get the city bike scheme after all...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Here's hoping :)

though i see over half of them in the liffey after a week.

Cause of knackers...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

this is being worked on as we speak in Dublin City Council.

the on going job at the moment is the location of each bike terminal and its location towards underground infrastructure etc etc

the drawings are finished but gone to management for approval or amendments (most likely amendments :o)
    Africa wrote: »
    Here's hoping :)

though i see over half of them in the liffey after a week.

Cause of knackers...

theres unconfirmed talk of the bikes been credit card operated so that theres ome sort of paper trail to who took the bike so that in the event that its doesnt return or is found in the liffey etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

kceire wrote: »
    this is being worked on as we speak in Dublin City Council.

the on going job at the moment is the location of each bike terminal and its location towards underground infrastructure etc etc

the drawings are finished but gone to management for approval or amendments (most likely amendments

I think it's further along than you suggest. There is a photo in today's Irish Times of one site in Portobello being prepared by Mick Wallace's people.

450 bikes, 40 locations, from July 2009.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0501/1224245759208.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭qwertyphobia

The Heuston station one would also cover Pheonix park as well which I think would be where my first trip would be to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

The Heuston station one would also cover Pheonix park as well which I think would be where my first trip would be to

There's no bike station scheduled for Heuston - 55% of stations are in Dublin 2, with the rest in D1 (see link below). Funny how most of the billboards were dumped in the northside :rolleyes:

http://www.aaireland.ie/news/article.asp?news_Id=466

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

By the way I think I would have preferred to see the capital collect the €185 million potential turnover, rather than the 450 rental bikes. Each of the larger metropoles, when carrying four adverts on either side is worth €3.9 million over the 15 years - one advert alone costs €1250 to hire per fortnight :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

TarfHead wrote: »
    I think it's further along than you suggest. There is a photo in today's Irish Times of one site in Portobello being prepared by Mick Wallace's people.

450 bikes, 40 locations, from July 2009.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0501/1224245759208.html

they move quick :eek: i only done the map a few weeks ago and was told by the planner that there would be a few small changes, but obsiously (sp) they were happy with the locations and it was a more finalised map than i thought.
    ODS wrote: »
    There's no bike station scheduled for Heuston - 55% of stations are in Dublin 2, with the rest in D1 (see link below). Funny how most of the billboards were dumped in the northside :rolleyes:

http://www.aaireland.ie/news/article.asp?news_Id=466

we were discussing this in work only last week, being from the northside myself i was annoyed at this too.
    ODS wrote: »
    By the way I think I would have preferred to see the capital collect the €185 million potential turnover, rather than the 450 rental bikes. Each of the larger metropoles, when carrying four adverts on either side is worth €3.9 million over the 15 years - one advert alone costs €1250 to hire per fortnight :eek:

crap deal for Dublin City Council imo too, could of generated so much more money by doing it themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭u2gooner

I recently used the Paris system and I was very impressed. Theres a machine similar in size to a parking paystation where you pay for the bike. I think you register for an annual swipe card with proof of address or whatever, or tourists register with a credit card, which is billed for 150 euros if the bike is not returned. This gets around people nicking them or throwing them in the canal. When you swipe your card a bike unlocks and its tied to your account so they know who takes which bike, great system.
    In Paris its free for any usage less than half an hour so a short triip across town shouldnt cost anything, its then charged at 1 euro per hour after the first half hour. I wonder will they do that here or just charge us from the first minute?
    Anyway I for one am looking forward to using it, a step forward in my opinion.

Advertisement