Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Guinea Pig Problem

Options
  • 28-04-2009 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I rescued a male guinea pig back in November. Hes was extremely underweight and had to get numerous multi vitamin injections. He had a broken leg and his ears were all torn up from being bullied. Anyway I nursed him back to health and decided now hes a bit grown up and stong that now would be the ideal time to get him a buddy to live with!

And the problem begins!!

I got a baby male pig. Couple of weeks old - had read this would be the best option as they would get on and my old guy wouldnt get bullied. I introduced them on a neutral surface and read all about introducing them and normal behavoir. My older guy keeps mounting the younger guy and rubbing his anal gland on the surface. Ive read this is normal - but 3/4 days in I would have expected the mounting to lesson or stop. But no its still going stong. My older guy keeps following him everywhere and the baby does seem to be getting a bit upset by it. They are still living in seperate cages as I cant quite put him in the cage with my older guy as I know he will be tormented.

Im running out of ideas as to what to do. What is my male continually going after him - surely the dominance balance would have been sorted by now. The baby is always totally submissive!!

What should I do?!?! Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

When you introduce them are you introducing them on neutral territory or in the cage?

The mouting may last a little while longer but usually it calms down, the main thing is there doesn't seem to be any aggression.

Are you 100% sure the baby is a male and not a female just in case he's mounting for a different reason.

You've probably checked out this site already but just in case, it's one of the best boar sites on the internet. http://www.susieandpigs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/options2.htm

If he is deffo. a male then just keep introductions brief perhaps, and follow the steps on the website above, making sure to introduce on neutral territory, rub the baby with the bedding to mask the smell and wash out the adults cage before putting them both in.

It should be sucessful and when the baby matures he might try and challenge the adult male so keep an eye on that just in case there's a falling out. Have loads of veggies and food available at all times although males can live very well for their whole life together sometimes silly spats over food can start a row. In general once they are bonded they will stay that way as long as neither are with in smell shot of a female guinea pig if they smell one they will turn on each other even if they are best buddies.

Hope this helps if you are having any further problems send an e-mail to the site above or check out my website below for more links and info.

Advertisement