Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible B&Q scam

Options
  • 28-04-2009 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Got a B&Q leaflet through the door a few weeks back and there was a small shed on it, advertised at €108.
    Went to Liffey Valley store the following weekend to get one and was told they had no stock.
    Went again the following 2 weekends but they said they still had no stock.
    Called in today and they now have stock but was told the sale is over and price back up to €140.
    I asked was this some sort of scam and they just smiled at me.

Anyone else ever have this kind of experience with B&Q?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Niall06 wrote: »
    Got a B&Q leaflet through the door a few weeks

What expiry date was on the leaflet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Maybe it was such a good offer the whole lot sold out? Sorta like Lidl or Aldi?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

They had this offer on last year. I got a cheap 6x4 shed for €110 at the time

B&Q use this offer to clear out last years stock, so when its gone its gone
    the €140 is probably new stock..

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

No they didn't sell out as they never had the stock in the first place.
    They admited that they never had stock during the sale period.

I just find it strange that the stock arrives when the sale is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Very strong language, it's hardly a scam.

Airlines advertise cheap fares all the time, problem is, there are usually only a small number available at that price. Chances are B&Q had 2-3 sheds at that price and they sold out straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Could be a genuine mistake in terms of timing of stock etc. Was this brochure specific to this one store or all stores?

If you believe the advertising was intentionally misleading you should contact (insert organisation here). It think it's the Irish Advertising Authority?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I don't think B&Q have to scam people to get them to go to the store, promotions generally only last so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I am uncomfortable with the use of the word 'scam' in this context. AS other posters have pointed out there may only have been a limited no of sheds available and only for a certain timeframe. We would need to know the T&Cs of the offer.

Thread closed.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement