Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rockers in RTE?

• 28-04-2009 8:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

Possibly.

Tonight I heard AC/DC's 'War Machine' being used on a trailer for their coverage of a forthcoming rugby match, and on a recent episode of 'Celebrity Bainisteoir' (GAA reality telly show) they used Maiden's 'The Duellists' and AC/DC's 'It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll' as incidental music.

Could it be that our metal-phobic national broadcaster has been infiltrated by someone with a bit of taste? :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ManoCornuta

One can only hope!

Doubt it though....probably an accident, or someone looking for some sterotypical "angry sounding but not so threatening parents will complain about it" music for their sports ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

heh, I was watching Celebrity Bainisteoir on Sunday and they even slipped in a bit of BOC (and it wasn't Don't fear the Reaper) :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

i have often wondered about this too. a while back they had a kerbdog song advertising some film or other. maybe we should ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

they used to have a rage against the machine song over adds for gaa :D

i remember arcade fire and a few other s being used in different adds and in pieces of home grown lifestyle shows too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭fluke

I know during bernard dunne's title fight with ricardo cordoba Pearl Jam's severed hand was used for the breaks. Sweet :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I said the same thing when I heard the Ramones being played on two differnent ads for some shows they were bringing out.
    Imagine they produced a rock show-that would be too sweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

all heavy tunes are greatly welcomed on RTE, I HATE that organ music they use on RTE2 between programmes with those stupid green graphics. AAAAAAAAGH

flanree wrote: »
    I HATE that organ music they use on RTE2 between programmes with those stupid green graphics. AAAAAAAAGH

Really? I thought that it was just me! Its so bland and annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Hmmm could be a bit slipping in alright......
    ....might be connected to what a few Hard Rock tribute bands will be doing in May.......4 or 5 tribute acts are going to be filmed touring 5 different venues around the country for a sort of Battle of bands type thing (not usually my thing!,,but well am involved this time..coz its a bit different) anyway...RTE are following it around and filming it, and it should be an interesting buzz...hotel stay overs and all that jazz....

seems the 5 tribute bands involved will be one who do - metallica, lizzy, GNR, LedZep and ourselves ,,,,,oh forgot to mention I have hooked up with an excellent Iron Maiden tribute act,,,,so will be playing with these guys in "Ireland Maiden" on this tour around.

maybe there's a sort of link to this with all the "rockers music" being popped in here and there...maybe just co-incidence...we shall see :)

rock on amigos....Baggio.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

A member of my family works in RTÉ sport and has often used ACDC, GnR, Maiden, Crue and Aerosmith on highlights packages / closers / etc. So there are a few rockers left in the TV world! Also John Kenny from RTÉ radio is a bit of rocker too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I think everyone and their granny is hopping on the AC/DC bandwagon at the mo, they are being played everywhere.

There is also a metal fan at Eastenders, they played QOSTA in the background recently.

Bizarre ER last night had loads of metal even Rammstein!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Imagine they produced a rock show-that would be too sweet

Yeah, an RTÉ produced rock show, I'm sure it would be unmissable :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Is it a case that a record company would pay a tv station (advertising) to use one of their artists' songs as a backing track to an ad or something like that around the time of a release or a concert?

Weirdest I heard was the following: Silverchair would be relatively unknown in the UK/Ire/Europe these days, and have been for a few years now. Well, the singer, Daniel Johns , had a side project called the Dissociatives so you can imagine it was even more unknown in these parts. I heard one of their songs in a documentary called "Coast" on BBC, a guy who travelled around the coast of the UK. Either an Aussie joined the BBC ranks, or someone just came back from there, and joined the BBC. The Dissociatives is a few years old as well..
    twas cool to hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

calex71 wrote: »
    they used to have a rage against the machine song over adds for gaa :D

i remember arcade fire and a few other s being used in different adds and in pieces of home grown lifestyle shows too.

"Wake Up" is the title music for GAA Beo on TG4, actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

They used Angel Of Death as segue music a few years ago, if anything they've wussed out a little :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I've heard Nine Inch Nails songs used in ads for RTE made programs before. La Mer and Hurt I think they were. Well surprised I was upon hearing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I remember when that Top 40 show used to be on they used Freak On A Leash by Korn for their opening sequence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Undergod wrote: »
    "Wake Up" is the title music for GAA Beo on TG4, actually.

Also for the intro for live boxing on RTE.

"Times Like These" by Foo Fighters is the intro for Sports Tonight on TV3, or well it was last time i checked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I can't wait for the day when they change the Fair City theme to Shredded Humans by Cannibal Corpse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

Anyone see the add on Tg4 for the aussie rules i think, thye use walk for the music

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    I can't wait for the day when they change the Fair City theme to Shredded Humans by Cannibal Corpse.
    :)
    I cant wait for the day they shred the humans on that show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Baggio wrote: »
    Hmmm could be a bit slipping in alright......
    ....might be connected to what a few Hard Rock tribute bands will be doing in May.......4 or 5 tribute acts are going to be filmed touring 5 different venues around the country for a sort of Battle of bands type thing (not usually my thing!,,but well am involved this time..coz its a bit different) anyway...RTE are following it around and filming it, and it should be an interesting buzz...hotel stay overs and all that jazz....

seems the 5 tribute bands involved will be one who do - metallica, lizzy, GNR, LedZep and ourselves ,,,,,oh forgot to mention I have hooked up with an excellent Iron Maiden tribute act,,,,so will be playing with these guys in "Ireland Maiden" on this tour around.

maybe there's a sort of link to this with all the "rockers music" being popped in here and there...maybe just co-incidence...we shall see :)

rock on amigos....Baggio.....

Just heard about this, it's called "Scrap Metal" Link
    Designed to bring “a more leftfield approach” to the network’s scheduling, Scrap Metal will feature the none too subtle delights of Ireland Maiden, Metallitia, Rubber Plants, Thunderstruck and User Illusion.

They’ll be embarking on a four-date tour, which takes in Dolan’s, Limerick (May 16); Bridge House, Tullamore (17); The Stables, Mullingar (19); and The Button Factory, Dublin (21) and finds one band eliminated each night.

Acting as rock legend mentors will be Byff Byford (Saxon), Brian Tatler (Diamond Head) and Brian Robertson (Thin Lizzy and Motorhead).

At stake is the respect of a rock ‘n’ mother****in’ roll nation plus a headlining spot at Glastonbudget in the UK.

Sounds like more bollix from rté as usual.

Ghost,,,,

you may well be right,,could be a cheesy attempt at being "real rock and roll" by RTE and co,,stilll I signed up to help Ireland Maiden out etc,,,so will be there for that...not interested in any pantomime type antics ,,,play to the camera type rubbish..I'm a musician not some cheesy actor type,,,,and have to say being "judged" by whoever,,,does not sit good with me...I'll be veryyyy camera shy and veryy much in the background for this......still the lads in Ireland Maiden ARE sound lads and play well..so will do me best for them..

lets just hope that the whole thing is not made into some sort of sham...as that wont sit well with me at all!

ciao' amigo....Baggio....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Myself and the lads from the old jovi band were suppossed to do that but we had to pull out as the band fell apart origionally they had planned to have joe elliot doing it and have ripper owens into do mentor look forward to seeing it and who goes home on the big black bus everynight lol Best of luck baggio,did the maiden thing myself for awhile hope yous do well!

smelltheglove,,,hey thanx for the words :)

well could all be a load of you know what!.. but it seems a straight up type of thing...so am going to just dive in - has beeen veryy tricky to learn around 12/14 maiden songs in 2 weeeks!!,,but am nearly there ahhah not easy when i prefer to pound out full force on the big RM2 , but at home taking over the sitting room - managed to use coolrods and towels over every drum to get to grips with songs that Maiden fans luv, but i never really played,,apart from trooper, run to the hills etc.....so i suppose i cant just duck a challlenge and not go through with it coz the thing MIGHT be cheesy...so will lay it down hard each night and just go with the flow :)

ciao' amigo....Baggio...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Best of luck Baggio - hopefully you'll still be in the running by the time the tour gets to Dublin (I might pop along).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

lol5605 wrote: »
    Anyone see the add on Tg4 for the aussie rules i think, thye use walk for the music

Dont think its Walk, definitly Pantera though, a serious WTF moment last night for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

On rte adds ive heard slayer, metallica pantera and rage...not to mention all the rockier bands such as acdc etc. Theres deffinatly some metal heads in rte me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Fad wrote: »
    Dont think its Walk, definitly Pantera though, a serious WTF moment last night for sure!

Its 5 Minutes Alone

God I miss Pantera.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Its 5 Minutes Alone

God I miss Pantera.:(
    :(...i think we all do.

Advertisement