Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central heating problem

Options
  • 28-04-2009 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Can anyone help with this, I now have no heat in any of the 4 rads in the upstairs of my house. I found out why the other day when I removed some of the rads and when I opened the valves going into the rads there was only a trickle of water coming out. It's no wonder they were only heating up at the bottom, there wasn't enough water going into them. As an experiment I turned on all the rads in the downstairs and then there was no water at all going to the upstairs rads. What could be causing this, could it be a restriction somewhere?, a problem with the pump? It's strange as it was working fine. Any ideas?

Ger.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

You have no water in your system. Find out how and where you fill the system - is there a header tank in the attic, or a filler valve in the hotpress - or somewhere else. Do a search here, there have been many discussions on the subject.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭The Waxbill

Thanks to Jim and Art6 for your replies. I've checked the tank in the attic that feeds down into the hot water cylinder in the hot press downstairs (is this the one?). The tank is full and the pipe isn't blocked as it has an offshoot you can open and drain at the end of the pipe just beside where it goes into the hot water cylinder and the water is flowing from here.

Ger.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

You can have two tanks in the attic one very big storage tank holds 60 gallons and a small one (header tank) holds max 10 gallons.

If there s no second tank your system is most likely presurised, look for the filler valve described by Jim.

If you have a natural gas system it might be a good time to think about having the system and the boiler serviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

If you have a sealed system, there should be a red expansion vessel, probably, close to the boiler. If so, then you have to find a fill valve, probably in the hotpress.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭The Waxbill

Thanks again guys for your input, I've got that red expansion vessel in the hot press and I put a pressure gauge on it, it's reading about 18psi. Is this the right pressure? Also I've looked in the hotpress for this fill valve and I'm not sure which one, if any, it is. All of them seem to be open anyway.

Ger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

I would expect it to be in the hot press especially as the expansion vessel is there, 18 PSI sounds about right, No Need to interfere with this again as pressure can be released when testing.

The filler could be beside the boiler either, have you come across what looks like a stainless steel fitting or flexible pipe ?

Advertisement