Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV Ratings/TAM How do they work in Ireland?

• 28-04-2009 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how ratings in Ireland work?
    We hear about ratings all the time, "scored high in the 19-30yr old age group" "Scored highest ratings in its Time slot" etc
    does anyone know of anyone who has ever been chosen to use one in Ireland?
    Any info appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=259312

Basically there are about 2000 people with TAM boxes and somehow they register their viewing patterns with the boxes.

The link above has a good post in it about how they work it.

It was put under review in 2006 so it is supposed to change to take into account more MultiChannel homes.

I think someone mentioned someone in there post.

I have never taken part in offical statistic carried out on behalf of anyone. I don't know anyone Rang up by Red C about their vote preferences.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54083809&postcount=26
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55968385&postcount=28

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It's just one guy in the Conemara hills who decides things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Pretty much. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

youngblood wrote: »
    "scored high in the 19-30yr old age group"

I think the age groupings are more of a US Nielson Ratings thing. I've never seen the Irish ratings broken down into categories, in the same way the US ones are.

jor el wrote: »
    I think the age groupings are more of a US Nielson Ratings thing. I've never seen the Irish ratings broken down into categories, in the same way the US ones are.

http://www.agbnielsen.net/Uploads/Ireland/Mar09FREE.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

jor el wrote: »

Actually they do tend to break those things down. I think you'll find that the aged and broken down have shockingly large habits of looking at the RTE Six-One/ Nine O'Clock News / Prime Time / Late Late Show/ Tubridy etc.. They also tend to be the most religious payers of the licence fee and get the least return from their money in the advertisers' search for eternal youth.

tintin67 wrote: »
    Actually they do tend to break those things down. I think you'll find that the aged and broken down have shockingly large habits of looking at the RTE Six-One/ Nine O'Clock News / Prime Time / Late Late Show/ Tubridy etc.. They also tend to be the most religious payers of the licence fee and get the least return from their money in the advertisers' search for eternal youth.

I don't think that is true. The largely older audience of RTÉ ONE is notable mainly because RTÉ ONE gets most of the licence fee in comparision to RTÉ TWO a much more youth orintated channel. RTÉ 2FM don't get any of the licence fee. While RTÉ Radio 1 and Lyric FM is again going for an older audience both of which get a large slice of the licence fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Elmo wrote: »
    I don't know anyone Rang up by Red C about their vote preferences.

Meee ! [waves].

I don't think that is true. The largely older audience of RTÉ ONE is notable mainly because RTÉ ONE gets most of the licence fee in comparision to RTÉ TWO a much more youth orintated channel. RTÉ 2FM don't get any of the licence fee. While RTÉ Radio 1 and Lyric FM is again going for an older audience both of which get a large slice of the licence fee.

RTE2 basically relies on pulling in a youth crowd with bought material from the States and Australia (all of which get a fraction of the audience for the Irish shows on RTE1 at the same time with the exception of European football)

RTE2 basically relies on pulling in a youth crowd with bought material from the States and Australia (all of which get a fraction of the audience for the Irish shows on RTE1 at the same time with the exception of European football)

Which is cheaper to show. Which is my point that older audiences get more spent on them.

• Advertisement

Which is cheaper to show. Which is my point that older audiences get more spent on them.

Not really sure why you think young people get more spent on them. Ryan Tubridy went on his holidays last week on RTE Radio 1. All the old people (ie. the over '45s who can remember Marian Finucane doing something around Wood Quay in the country in 1969) ended up with Dave Fanning talking through his nose, very mid-Atlantic, and letting us know he has was a pal of Bono (was he that young man in that U2? ). I'm too old.

Not really sure why you think young people get more spent on them.

I don't think Young people get more spent on them.

I am saying that Older Auiences view RTÉ ONE and it is the main receiver of Licence fee revenue. Older Audiences listen to RTÉ Radio, RnaG and Lyric FM and they receive some of the licence fee while 2FM does not receive any of the licence fee.

More radio and TV is produced for an older audience than a younger audience with the licence fee (the main source of money in the industry).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

It's just one guy in the Conemara hills who decides things.
    and he cycles to dublin with the data every week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I just had an agent call to the house and say that my address showed up in a list for tv viewing and she mentioned a survey. She showed me I.D. she had around her neck which the wording i cant even remember now. Basically at the time I was looking for TAM or something.

I told her I don't do surveys and she left straight away. You would think they would send out a letter.

I actually thought it was a tv inspector but she mentioned nothing about tv licence.

It was just a car she was in -no markings.

Was this a scam? As I say the I.D. looked official but as I read it, nothing made sense in the wording of it.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    I just had an agent call to the house and say that my address showed up in a list for tv viewing and she mentioned a survey. She showed me I.D. she had around her neck which the wording i cant even remember now. Basically at the time I was looking for TAM or something.

I told her I don't do surveys and she left straight away. You would think they would send out a letter.

I actually thought it was a tv inspector but she mentioned nothing about tv licence.

It was just a car she was in -no markings.

Was this a scam? As I say the I.D. looked official but as I read it, nothing made sense in the wording of it.

TAM Ireland logo

logo.jpg

Yes didn't see any mention of a TAM logo. The I.D. was not a photo I.D. and as i say seemed to contain some wording which I quickly read and did not seem to make any sense.

I had it in my head at the time that it was a t.v. inspector but I have satisfied myself that this was not the case. Would TAM use a third party for house calls?

TAM Ireland commissions contractors to provide research services on its behalf, including the production of audience viewing figures. The audience measurement contract is currently held by Nielsen Television Audience Measurement (formerly AGB Nielsen Media Research). The contract for the Establishment Survey fieldwork is held by Behaviour and Attitudes.

http://www.tamireland.ie/about/faq

Maybe just maybe the I.D. card said Behaviour and Attitudes which of course at the time would have meant absolutely nothing to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Yes didn't see any mention of a TAM logo. The I.D. was not a photo I.D. and as i say seemed to contain some wording which I quickly read and did not seem to make any sense.

I had it in my head at the time that it was a t.v. inspector but I have satisfied myself that this was not the case. Would TAM use a third party for house calls?

Don't get the point of I.D. cards.How do you know it's real or not ? I've never seen your I.D. card nor do I have a list of I.D. cards that I look at and memorise daily.

Advertisement