Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bitch in heat - How do I tell if she's been covered???

Options
  • 28-04-2009 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

My 9 month West Highland bitch is in heat for the past few days, and I need to know if there's any way to tell if a dog got at her before I noticed that she'd come into heat?

Is there a way of telling? Will she continue to be in heat even after a dog has covered her?
    Also, I'm not seeing the expected queue of local Romeos outside the house!!!??:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No im sorry there is no way of knowing. Do you not keep your dog inside or away from dogs? Surely you would know if a dog got to her, im sure shes not wandering the streets is she?
    Bitches stay in heat for 3 weeks, a week coming in, a week in and then a week going out.
    Make sure you keep her safe and away from other dogs until she finishes her heat now, dont bring her out if you know there will be loose dogs as it can very hard to keep a dog away from her if there are loose ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

As said she'll be in heat for a few weeks, after she's out of heat and back on form you can get her spayed even if a dog accidently got to her. She's too young to be having pups it wouldn't be fair on her. So spaying will cut out the hassle of her going in to heat again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

Your vet can blood test her to see if she's in pup but you'll have to wait about 3 weeks after you think she was covered. You should wait a month after her heat ends before you spay her to give her uterus time to return to its normal size - this helps prevent extra blood loss during the op and makes it easier on her. Some vets will spay in the early stages of pregnancy but its much harder on the dog and the risk of complications is higher which is why alot of vets refuse to do it.

Advertisement