Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another what to buy suggestions thread €10k-€12k

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

upthedub wrote: »
    Mate i disagree when you say the rx8 is the best looking car for under 12k :rolleyes:you can get a 2001 evo for under 12k,or a sti impreza 2002 for under 12k....need i say more;)

There is nothing special about a rx8.The evos and imprezas are a class above !
    You will not get a good evo that looks better than an RX8 (Evo VII+) for under 12k, well unless you fancy buying this off these fine Gents :rolleyes:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1371401

Granted you would get a good STI for 12k but they didn't get their really good looks until much later than the Evo, about 03 I think, I like the Bug Eyes but they're nowhere near as good looking as the RX.

Performance-wise they are much better, but the fella doesn't like how they look.

Draffodx I think you should get this and keep the change for repairs!

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1201435

They really are one of the best looking Jap cars ever. Put yer Evo against that! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Why under 2l?

Tax over that isnt that much when your spending 12k and insurance on an evo is as bad as anything!

Nissan 350Z would be my choice:D

I think you could get this a good bit cheaper.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1386379

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Why under 2l?

Tax over that isnt that much when your spending 12k and insurance on an evo is as bad as anything!

Nissan 350Z would be my choice:D

I think you could get this a good bit cheaper.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1386379
    Thats a great price but you wouldn't get it for 12k I don't think, to tax a 2L its about 650, to tax that its about 1600!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Draffodx I think you should get this and keep the change for repairs!

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1201435

They really are one of the best looking Jap cars ever. Put yer Evo against that! :D

The Rx7 was actually my initial thinking but after a good lot of reading over on irishrotary.com I like the idea of getting a more comfortable newer car like the Rx8

However I am gonna go and have a look at this Rx7 - http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1127483

Its out of my price range but ya never know the dealer might give me a good trade in price on the Integra as it would be more sellable than the Rx7, just want a spin in it anyway its a beaut!

Thats one seriously gorgeous car

What's their BHP?

Thats one seriously gorgeous car

What's their BHP?

Max.power (Net), kw(PS)/rpm - 265 ps (194.91 kw) / 6500 rpm
    Max.torque(Net), N*m(kg*m)/rpm - 30.0 kg*m (294.20 N*m) / 5000 rpm

source - http://www.cars-directory.net/specs/mazda/rx-7/1999_1/13963/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

If that's a genuine example, then it's sweet! Looks well in that colour. ITR would certainly be an easier sold car from a dealers point of view, so you may be in with a good exchange deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Have you considered Toyota Celicas? There are loads online. FF but wouldn't be too bad on petrol. Always thought the wheels were too small for the body though :P

Iv been looking at the s2k and rx8 mpg stats. Users on the uk owners club forums seem to get in the late 20s for the rx8 and and 30-31 for the s2k. And thats on a good day.

Anyone know what rx8's are insured as? 2.6? Didnt realise they were bumped up the tax groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Dont forget the 180sx aswell man, I have one myself after switching from an SiR. Have it 6 months and havent looked back since. Have had SFA trouble with it too (touch wood).

Great solid car, they have the looks, power, and bucket loads of tuning potential. Along with the fact that you're 10-12k would get you an absolute minter/serious machine with change left over.

Christy Carpenter in clare owns that spec r s15 put up earlier. He also has an unbelievable silver, 4dr gtr r34 skyline. Well worth a look if you could manage the tax!

• Advertisement

Have you considered Toyota Celicas? There are loads online. FF but wouldn't be too bad on petrol. Always thought the wheels were too small for the body though :P

Iv been looking at the s2k and rx8 mpg stats. Users on the uk owners club forums seem to get in the late 20s for the rx8 and and 30-31 for the s2k. And thats on a good day.

Anyone know what rx8's are insured as? 2.6? Didnt realise they were bumped up the tax groups.

They're insured in different ways by different companies, I'mm 22 and got a quote of 1800 on one.

He's gettin rid of a Type R Teg, the only Celica he could really go for is a GT 4....hmmm have ya thought about one of these? There's a Bad Ass one on Adverts...but you'd have to sell your car privately for that....ah ha...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭Vic_Mackey

Best I've managed in my Rex is 19MPG. and I mean the best. Any sitting around in traffic will destroy your MPG
    Insurance companies "class" the engine as 2606. It's taxed as a 1.8 pre emissions based and a planet killer post emission based

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Dont forget the 180sx aswell man, I have one myself after switching from an SiR. Have it 6 months and havent looked back since. Have had SFA trouble with it too (touch wood).

Great solid car, they have the looks, power, and bucket loads of tuning potential. Along with the fact that you're 10-12k would get you an absolute minter/serious machine with change left over.

Christy Carpenter in clare owns that spec r s15 put up earlier. He also has an unbelievable silver, 4dr gtr r34 skyline. Well worth a look if you could manage the tax!

I love the 180sx but its a bit old for me, I'd like something newer, I'd love one as a second car though whenever I have that much money! :D

I doubt the R34 GTR would be anywhere near my price range, I'll get one though when I can afford one
    They're insured in different ways by different companies, I'mm 22 and got a quote of 1800 on one.

He's gettin rid of a Type R Teg, the only Celica he could really go for is a GT 4....hmmm have ya thought about one of these? There's a Bad Ass one on Adverts...but you'd have to sell your car privately for that....ah ha...

Yeh the GT4 would be lovely but I'd want a standard one, the one on adverts has too many modifications, I have been looking at gt4's and there all fecking white!!! :mad:
    Vic_Mackey wrote: »
    Best I've managed in my Rex is 19MPG. and I mean the best. Any sitting around in traffic will destroy your MPG

Yep, I'm well aware of the brutal mpg :D

After getting the Teg a full service including new brake pads, 4 new tires on the way and getting the gearbox reconditioned too so half thinking about keeping it then.

But heres what I'm looking to change to if anyone knows of any nice ones about

preferably 99+ and not white :D

Nissan 200sx
    Rx7 FD
    Toyota Celica GT-4 (Make an exception to the 99+ for one of these)
    Accord Euro R
    Maybe a black or blue DC5 Integra Type R

As you can see my mind isn't exactly set on anything, any other ideas would be more than welcome or links to adverts of the above cars for around €10k would be nice :D

draffodx wrote: »
    After getting the Teg a full service including new brake pads, 4 new tires on the way and getting the gearbox reconditioned too so half thinking about keeping it then.

But heres what I'm looking to change to if anyone knows of any nice ones about

preferably 99+ and not white :D

Nissan 200sx
    Rx7 FD
    Toyota Celica GT-4 (Make an exception to the 99+ for one of these)
    Accord Euro R
    Maybe a black or blue DC5 Integra Type R

As you can see my mind isn't exactly set on anything, any other ideas would be more than welcome or links to adverts of the above cars for around €10k would be nice :D
    The Accord Euro R (the shape that goes from around 03 - 07) is shockingly expensive. Never saw one for less than 20k. You'd buy a normal 2 litre of similar year for 7k and have 13k to spend on it to make it better than the Euro R! The older Euro R is one of the ugliest cars Honda have ever made and I can't for the life of me figure out why people just don't get the UK spec Type R, which has the same running gear, but looks infinitely better.

On a completely seperate note - there is a Porsche Boxter S on Carzone for 15k! I think you should stretch the budget!

I like the look of this one though

http://www.carzone.ie/search/200908191891404/advert

Also I love the UK spec Type R too should have thrown that in there too

• Advertisement

And they might give you a decent trade in for the dc2, thats a lovely looking accord

And they might give you a decent trade in for the dc2, thats a lovely looking accord

yeh, not my first choice though, i'd like to try rwd & turbo

Nope, sorry, I think that is absolutely terrible looking. It's the B pillar back that it's pure kak. UK type R is so far ahead of it.

Pardon my ignorance but whats the difference between the Jap and the UK model?

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1407759

The only differences Style Wise is that they have different coloured front lights, the Jap has a rear wiper and a different colour Spoiler? If I had 10k to spend and wanted an Accord, between these I think the Red one is far nicer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

That's the one right there.
    If i was in your position, i'd be at least trying it out.

CianRyan wrote: »
    That's the one right there.
    If i was in your position, i'd be at least trying it out.
    Lorra maintenance costs I'd amagine? How would it fair as a daily driver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

God only knows, it's worth researching though.
    Any one i know that's driven one has been blown away.

Pardon my ignorance but whats the difference between the Jap and the UK model?

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1407759

The only differences Style Wise is that they have different coloured front lights, the Jap has a rear wiper and a different colour Spoiler? If I had 10k to spend and wanted an Accord, between these I think the Red one is far nicer

??? They're completely different.

Its white, find me a black one and i'll look into it :D
    Biro wrote: »
    ??? They're completely different.

Yeh I agree they are completely different, the uk spec is much more subtle in the looks department, nice sleeper style car and I actually would prefer a uk spec to a euro r.

I know that black one too its from around here, €8k is a bit pricey for it though, although I haven't checked uk prices + vrt on them in ages, off to do it now...

EDIT:

to get this 2000 with 67k in and vrt would cost me €7100

DSC_0234.jpg

Advertisement