Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ranelagh or Donnybrook?

Options
  • 28-04-2009 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Where would you prefer to live?

Moving to Dublin in July and would like to hear the pros and cons of both.:o

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

they are very close together so the pros and cons aren't that different. However I lived in Ranelagh for a good while, it has a better selection of cafes, bars and places to eat and it is on the Luas line which swings it for me. With Donnybrook you have Herbert Park on your doorstep which is cool, Ranelagh Park is pretty small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

copacetic wrote: »
    they are very close together so the pros and cons aren't that different. However I lived in Ranelagh for a good while, it has a better selection of cafes, bars and places to eat and it is on the Luas line which swings it for me. With Donnybrook you have Herbert Park on your doorstep which is cool, Ranelagh Park is pretty small.

Sums up pretty much what I would have wrote!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I live within 10 minutes of both...I think I would prefer to live in Donnybrook.There are a wide variety of bus routes and theres borza(a very nice chipper) and o briens(off licence) ususaly have good deals on.You are close to herbert park which is nice.That being said Ranelagh is on the luas line,there is a variety of restaurants and luigis(a very nice chipper) and theres Redmonds off licence which sell a huge variety of beers.The park in Ranelagh isnt great though.Theres a subway and a starbucks in ranelgh too.You might find Donnybrook a bit of a pain on friday and saturday nights with all the drunken kids from wezz(teen disco).I hope Im drawing a good picture of these areas.I dont know why but I would prefer to live in Donnybrook.
    (sorry Ive pretty much been beaten to it)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Ranelagh. I've lived in Donnybrook, and always found myself heading to Ranelagh for anything. Donnybrook has a good few busses in and out, but Ranelagh ain't too badly serviced, and you've got the LUAS on top of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Ranelagh. I've lived in Donnybrook, and always found myself heading to Ranelagh for anything. Donnybrook has a good few busses in and out, but Ranelagh ain't too badly serviced, and you've got the LUAS on top of it.

there is a great range of shops in ranelagh too, and the hill pub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Aye, that's what I meant by heading over to Ranelagh for anything!! Anything not to give Donnybrook fair their overcharged prices...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Ranelagh if only for the Luas (and Redmond's offie)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭diego ribas

thanks for the input, fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

Ranelagh hands down wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

If you don't have a car, Ranelagh has a proper supermarket, and Donnybrook does not, so that's something to bear in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Ranelagh. Even though Donnybrook has a better bus system, the luas is amazingly handy for getting into town. Also I used to take a bus from Donnybrook and it was only a ten minute walk.

Ranelagh has great bars and amazing restaurants, whereas I find Donnybrrok can be a bit short on this front. Also has the best Italian deli in the world, which I miss daily. *sniff* (saying that though Donnybrook has a great veg shop.) Another selling point is that it's walking distance from Rathmines, which has the cinema and a Dunnes which at least gives you a choice about where to do your shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I live in Ranelagh myself and it's really really handy. There's a proper 'village' feel to the place, even though you're so close to the city centre. The Luas is right there and the N11 is only a few minutes walk away, but one of the biggest advantages to the place is how close it is to Rathmines, for more pubs/cafés not to mention Tesco, Lidl and Aldi...living in Donnybrook would be a much longer walk to any of these.

The one thing is that Ranelagh seems to be taken over a bit by pricier restaurants, which is good in some ways but it'd be nice if there was a balance with more affordable places to eat that aren't chippers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Donnybrook, Ranelagh's full of protestants. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

Two year old thread brought back to life yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

Both are great places to live but Ranelagh pips it for sheer variety of shops, pubs and eateries, I lived there before the Luas got built but I imagine it's bloody handy. Access to town and Dundrum in a jiffy. both areas are very safe but there used to be the occassional ruffian in Renelagh but that was back in the days of Laser Discs and Night Owls.

Advertisement