Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting fake bank emails everyday.

Options
  • 28-04-2009 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Hello ,
    I thought I should post in this forum about these emails ,because I think I'm getting them because of a car rental on holiday.

Has anyone noticed an increase in spam mails pretending to be banks ? ,I'm getting one for each bank on nearly a daily basis for the last week or so.

The only thing new I put my email to lately was car rental while in spain ,but obviously if everyone is getting them ,then there isn't an issue ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

Same here - for the last week or so. I just forward them on to the fraud email address for AIB. I wouldn't mind but I don't even use that bank. Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Thanks ,it's like my mail was on a big server or something.

Wasn't sure though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Yes I have noticed an increase in them over the last month, I just keep reporting them to the banks and marking them as spam in my inbox. They are a complete pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

best thing to do, is if you have spam/phising software report your email.

Which means other people don't have to get it, and if other people do the same, then you won't get it etc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Use gmail! I get feck all spam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I get a few, but my email filters recognise them as junk so they're filtered out.

Sometimes I do click the links, intentionally, and put in loads of bogus information. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

As far as Ive been told, if you open one of these emails, it is automatically sent to all of your email contacts. About two months ago, I was getting 3-4 of these every day, but now i only get about 1-2 per week.

Mark any ones you get as spam/junk and don't open them again. Most likely reason for you getting them is that you keep opening them, therefore sending them to one of your contacts, who in turn keeps opening them- so its like a cycle.

Not sure if this is true though, but it seems to have worked for me and my contacts.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Jeapy wrote: »
    As far as Ive been told, if you open one of these emails, it is automatically sent to all of your email contacts.

Unless you have a virus on your machine you've been told wrong, only way it'll be forwarded is if you do it yourself.

Stupid scare mongering
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Cabaal wrote: »
    Unless you have a virus on your machine you've been told wrong, only way it'll be forwarded is if you do it yourself.

Exactly.

Besides, I don't use Outlook, so am less liable for those virus infections by email.

Also, you should always have a good anti-virus and firewall software, as well as spam/phishing blockers for your email.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Cabaal wrote: »

Cool, I'll have to tell the person who told me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If you set up a junk mail or spam filter on your email account, it should stop most of these getting into your inbox. Lately I've been getting a load of them for Lloyds TSB :confused:

Most banks have an email address you can forward these emails to, if you wish to do that, go ahead. Then delete the email. AFAIK, some of these scammers have a sort of bot that randomly generates email addresses. It could take 10,000 emails out to get 100 hits back!

Advertisement