Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Car for transporting a dog

Options
  • 29-04-2009 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

We have a Staffie who behaves well in our saloon car but brings all the sand etc from the beach into it. We are planning to change car and are wondering if a hatchback with a grill between boot and rear seats would be suitable. Would like her to be able to see out if possible when travelling. Has anyone any suggestions as to make/style etc. Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

A hatchback with a grill would do the job fine- I did it long enough. And the Staffie isn't a big dog so the space in a hb would be adequate.
    HBs I had were- (and I'll state the year too cos the designs change regularly)

'00 Nissan Almera Sport, 5 door, 1.6- of the ones I had that was the best for the dog I had at the time (German Shepherd), the boot space is generous and it was a great car, very reliable, and it's biggest advantage for me was that it didn't look like a hb!

'03 Alfa Romeo 147, 5 door, brilliant- loved it- less space in the boot though, but would do fine for one Staffie.

'07 Opel AstraSport....much smaller boot space and quite dark cos the windows were high.

At the mo I'm driving, and sticking with!, a commercial 4x4 Frontera which I had converted from passenger, and didn't have the windows blacked out. I have 4 big dogs and they all have loads of room and can even stretch out to sleep!

Hope that was some bit of help to you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

We had a Golf GTI that we used transport our Rottweiler in. She'd plenty of room in the boot with a sub. She'd a big pillow in there to sit on to look out, or lie down on to go to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

We have a golf and could manage a artrithic big old Golden Retriever (RIP) (he had to be lifted up due to no power in the back legs in his last stage of life) and a small springer x lab bitch. I have also had two old english sheepdogs in the car so a golf would more than be adquate for your staffie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

An estate is ideal for any sort of dog if you can manage it.

They have lots of room and get a great view:D

It also can be very handy if you ever need to move a lot of stuff; but then I realise that some people really dislike the look of them.

The bigger Volvo or Mondeo models are enormous; 3 series not so much, have a very handy split tailgate opening though. Focus estate can be a good compromise too;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

i recommend the renault senic for any type of dog. more recommendations on the grand senic, gives any dog or dogs tonnes of room. in the normal senic me and a friend sat quite comfortably(and illegally) in the boot. you can also lift the seats very easily. just two clicks and their away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

If possible, would a car harness/seatbelt be a better idea than a grill? My worry would be that if you were to have an accident, the dog would hurt itself on the grill.

great thing about the renaults, they have anchor points in the boot if i remember. problem with most dogs especially medium to large dogs, they want to move around other wise they get aggressive. so anything in the car if in an accident will injure the the dog.

aynon wrote: »
    problem with most dogs especially medium to large dogs, they want to move around other wise they get aggressive.

:confused: Oh? Can't say I've ever experienced that with any dog I've had...

have experienced a few times, not all the time, its from dog to dog, but dont like doing it.

I suppose any of us would be a little more than pi55ed off if we were squished into a small area.

Cars I had were fine for transporting when I just had the one dog, Xena, but with 4 of them we had to use my husband's estate....which meant I couldn't drive them somewhere when he was working, so I switched my Alfa Romeo for the 4x4. But the estate is perfect spacewise for more than 1 dog.

A friend of mine has a Scenicas well.... Do you find yours reliable Aynon?

• Advertisement

had a some teething problems for new. but hadnt had anything major, at least nothing that i or any of its users have caused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

incidentlly, does anybody know the current law as to bringing a dog in a car? yesterday a friend got stopped by garda while he was driving to a quiet lake-spot in cavan. the dog (a wee terrier) was on the passenger seat with its nose out the window, as you often see. the gard was very irate and told the friend he had to go immediately to buy a "dog-seat" and have it installed in the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭flipsat

Thanks to all who posted replies. I am researching some of the suggestions and it is especially good to know that many of you have found hatchbacks to be ok for transporting a dog. Like many other people I will probably import a car from the uk. I am doing the research online and it is so addictive and time consuming. Just when you think you have found a make/style/age of hatchback you then find it doesn't come with some of the other things on the wish list like diesel, low emissions and automatic drive. I may have to modify my wish list a bit and not be so fussy!!

Advertisement