Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

private sale- no nct

• 29-04-2009 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

would u buy a car with no nct?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

kueef wrote: »

Yes, a good going over the car by someone that knows what there at would satisfy me. the chances are the testers will find some excuse to fail you first time around for the nct anyway so factor in the €80 cost of the test and retest and costs for any repairs and use it to haggle the price down that bit more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Yes. If it was looked over by a mechanic, then I can't see why not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

why would someone not bother with an NCT. It must sell a car faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

no. I would ask that it be tested and if it passed then offer to pay an extra 50quid on top of the price, to cover cost of nct, but for me, no nct, no sale. Not worth the potential hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭kueef

would you ask the owner to go with you to a mechanic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭babel2

peanuthead wrote: »
    no. I would ask that it be tested and if it passed then offer to pay an extra 50quid on top of the price, to cover cost of nct, but for me, no nct, no sale. Not worth the potential hassle.
    so if it passed, would you take it that the car is alright to buy?

babel2 wrote: »
    so if it passed, would you take it that the car is alright to buy?

No I would have it checked alright of course. But even with a mechanic checking it for me, and saying, yeah, that will pass, I would still want the cert to say so first. That's not too much to ask at all I don't think.

No I would have it checked alright of course. But even with a mechanic checking it for me, and saying, yeah, that will pass, I would still want the cert to say so first. That's not too much to ask at all I don't think.

wouldnt it have to be a pretty recent nct to be certain its ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭kueef

how would u get it checked over?
    i dont know a mechanic

i dont know a mechanic
    what about the mechanic you take your car too when it has a problem or a sevice due?

• Advertisement

babel2 wrote: »
    wouldnt it have to be a pretty recent nct to be certain its ok?

I dont really know what you mean?

I wouldn't buy it unless it had a valid, in-date NCT, so I would want the seller to get one first before I would agree to buy.

If it hadn't been NCT'd since, say 2005, well then thats even more of a reason to want it done!! Because, unlike tax, the back payments for NCT HAVE TO be paid!!

If you mean, if the NCT was up in a few months, well, I don't know what I would do in that situation, probably go for one more in date to be honest. There is alot of choice out there,

i dont know a mechanic

You can actually hire one to come with you. Not sure how much that will cost you though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I dont really know what you mean?

I wouldn't buy it unless it had a valid, in-date NCT, so I would want the seller to get one first before I would agree to buy.

Would you be expecting to get the car at the same advertised price before it had NCT though? i'd imagine the value would go up a bit when it has a fresh one. if i were selling and someone said they'd like me to put it through, i would increase the price to reflect the added hassle on my part.

Masada wrote: »
    Would you be expecting to get the car at the same advertised price before it had NCT though? i'd imagine the value would go up a bit when it has a fresh one. if i were selling and someone said they'd like me to put it through, i would increase the price to reflect the added hassle on my part.

Well, I would expect to pay the extra 50quid for the NCT, as I said before. That I have no problem with. There is no real hassle involved in an NCT test, you dont even have to take a day off, as they are open 7 days a week (or used to be anyway)

To be honest, if you are selling a car, you should be prepared to get an NCT if a potential seller asks for one.

If you think that you can make an extra 100-200 euro on the price of your car simply by putting it through an NCT, why would you not just do so in the first place?

because the car without the NCT probably wouldnt be selling for top dollar to reflect this. and if someone had to go through the extra hassle they would have to add a few quid on to make it worth while in my opinion.

I would understand your point if it was a legal requirement to sell with a valid NCT but its not.
    You'll also loose out on a lot of haggling power by getting them to do the test for you.

because the car without the NCT probably wouldnt be selling for top dollar to reflect this.

In my opinion because the car itself is not 'top dollar'

This is a private sale the OP is talking about here, so I'm assuming the seller is not dealing with hundreds of cars, just the one, probably his own old car. Now what person would knock 2-300 off the price of a car for the sake of not having the 'hassle' of getting an NCT. Its more the potential hassle if it doesn't pass imo.

Now, Im only giving my opinion. As a woman (I'll probably be slated now) I suppose I would be more clueless when it comes to motors, therefore more sceptical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,523 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The NCT can find a lot of faults that a regular mechanic without a lot of diagnostic equipment won't. So, no NCT, no sale. Unless we are talking peanuts.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

esel wrote: »
    The NCT can find a lot of faults that a regular mechanic without a lot of diagnostic equipment won't. So, no NCT, no sale. Unless we are talking peanuts.

+1

The NCT is a test to check the car is road worthy not mechanically sound. Having the car examined by the best mechanic in the world doesn't guarantee it will pass the NCT.

OP given that it is almost impossible to sell cars at the moment a seller should be making every effort to attract a potential buyer to their car, this includes having a valid NCT. Selling a car with no NCT these days tells me that the seller thinks/knows there is something majorly or expensively wrong with the car.

The "I'm too busy" or "too much hassel" to put it through the NCT excuses don't wash with me either. It costs €50 & an hour of your time to do the NCT and makes your car much more sellable. Even if it fails for small things it still gives the seller the option of getting the car fixed or get a price to put them right and then adjust the selling price accordingly.

There is too much risk for a potential buyer to ignore this and given the choice of good cars with valid NCTs it would be daft to even consider buying a car without a valid NCT.

Exactly, as Ive said twice before already, getting an NCT isn't that much hassle, although, at the moment fair enough there is a backlog, but still, it is, in my opinion part of your duty as a seller to ensure you are selling a vehicle that is roadworthy.

I personally wouldn't like to think that my desperation for a quick sale resulted in someone having an accident as a result of the car I sold them being dodgy. And I certaintly wouldn't like it to happen to me either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

The NCT is a joke. It doesn't guarantee roadworthiness- it even says so on the certificate. More chance of the NCT tester managing to break the car than diagnose faults with it. What a joke!

• Advertisement

The NCT is a joke. It doesn't guarantee roadworthiness- it even says so on the certificate. What a joke!

It guarantees roadworthiness at time of testing. They cant guarantee that you're not going to drive it round the corner and banjax the exhaust after the test (although why you would want to do this I don't know)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

It guarantees roadworthiness at time of testing. They cant guarantee that you're not going to drive it round the corner and banjax the exhaust after the test (although why you would want to do this I don't know)

Check the certificate again. Not much of a guarantee is it....:D

Like I said, joke of a test!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

I'm looking at a car that has never done an NCT. Whats the procedure for NCTing it with the back date of test and payment etc.? sound too dodgy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

If it hadn't been NCT'd since, say 2005, well then thats even more of a reason to want it done!! Because, unlike tax, the back payments for NCT HAVE TO be paid!!

Not true. Back payments do NOT have to be paid. The only extra cost you could get hit for is the cancellation fee ie if someone had previously booked a test and not shown up. However if there has been a change of ownership then you could probably talk your way out of that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I've seen cars bought privately with no NCT and when the buyer goes to get an NCT subsequent to the purchase, they find that the cat has been cut out of it or it needs new shocks or engine mountings or something or other that can sometimes cost a couple of hundred. Unless your a mechanic and can sort out the issues just by paying for the parts, I wouldn't say it's worth the potential hassle to be honest.

bazz26 wrote: »
    ...Selling a car with no NCT these days tells me that the seller thinks/knows there is something majorly or expensively wrong with the car. ...

+1

Thats my thinking. Certainly theres been a few cars on adverts with no NCT that when questioned theres been a few times when some really expensive issue is brought to light. While thats not a problem in itself you've got to wonder what other problems the car has that the NCT won't pick up, that they aren't telling you.

For me. No NCT means walk away from the seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I have bought cars with no NCT, but for peanuts money. Sometimes people just want rid of a fairly good car as they dont have the time/inclination/motivation/etc to put it through an NCT before selling.
    So far, I've been lucky, got them through tests after doing some work on them (brakes, suspension, tyres, etc) and made a couple of hundred profit on them.
    However, I am choosy, and reject far more cars than I would buy.
    If the main components such as engine or gearbox sound wrong I walk away.
    Similarly if its going to need a timing belt, clutch, etc, I walk away.
    If the car has been around a tree at some stage, or is in a rough condition, I walk away.

I've been lucky so far - however i could still be easily burned by something like a car with high emissions, etc.

In summary, if you know a bit about cars, can do a bit of mechanical work, and be very choosy about what you buy, a car with no NCT can be a bargain if you buy it cheaply enough. But its always going to be a gamble.

I think its a different thing entirely if you are in the trade and looking for fixer uppers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

DaMonk wrote: »
    I'm looking at a car that has never done an NCT. Whats the procedure for NCTing it with the back date of test and payment etc.? sound too dodgy?

Get the seller to NCT before you buy. If the car has nothing wrong with it then it should sail through no problem. The fact that the seller hasn't NCT'd car prior to selling it would have me concerned.

• Advertisement

lifer_sean wrote: »
    Not true. Back payments do NOT have to be paid. The only extra cost you could get hit for is the cancellation fee ie if someone had previously booked a test and not shown up. However if there has been a change of ownership then you could probably talk your way out of that one.

Em...ok I don't claim to be an expert at all so I'm not saying that you're wrong at all....its just that I specifically remember being told this....does anyone else know??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Mechanic told me it was a mickey mouse test. Certainly the guy I got anyway. I have an old 97 mazda 121 and it's in poor shape like. Only failed me on a few visual things mainly. Didn't check for problems with the electrics for my lights and the omissions from the car are woeful! I was hoping it would be more thorough cause I got the stuff fixed but it still feels "unsafe" to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Em...ok I don't claim to be an expert at all so I'm not saying that you're wrong at all....its just that I specifically remember being told this....does anyone else know??

Yeh, the nct has to be done every two years so if its out by say 6 months then the cert is back dated those 6 months and you only get 18 months nct on the car then before it has to be retested.

But you dont have to pay for previous tests that weren't carried out

The NCT is a bit of a joke, I got failed on a loose, headlight, got it checked by my mechanic, tightened it a bit, went back and they gave me the cert without even checking the car!

So when looking at a car even if it had an NCT i'd still have it thoroughly looked over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

One point worth mentioning to prospective buyers of cars is that an NCT cert is only a statement that the car was is a state of road-worthiness on the date it was tested.
    Please dont forget that the engine or gearbox could be on its last legs, and still pass a test. Just because a car has an NCT cert doesnt make it a car you can buy without having a considered opinion from someone with mechanical savvy.
    Some form of service history - especially in relation to cambelts, etc.. should be just as important from a buyers viewpoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Like the NCT or not, if you buy a car with one, it means you don't have to do it. It elimanates worries about the cars emissions being too high, about the braking system needing attention, about underbody rust etc. all things that could cost a considerable amount to put right.

there are also heavy penalties coming for drivers of cars without NCT. so if you buy a car without one, you'll have to get all the faults fixed ASAP or fear prosecution.

gyppo wrote: »
    One point worth mentioning to prospective buyers of cars is that an NCT cert is only a statement that the car was is a state of road-worthiness on the date it was tested.
    Please dont forget that the engine or gearbox could be on its last legs, and still pass a test. Just because a car has an NCT cert doesnt make it a car you can buy without having a considered opinion from someone with mechanical savvy.
    Some form of service history - especially in relation to cambelts, etc.. should be just as important from a buyers viewpoint.

Well, now that you mention it, I know of people who will borrow car parts in order to pass the tests, ie: a set of wheels, or, in the case of one particular car, it failed visually on not having, something like brake lines at the back of car, or something like that, I could have that wrong, probably do. So the break lines, or whatever, were taken from the front, put on the back and only the back was checked when the car went back.

I have often thought that the swapping of parts (obv will only work in certain circumstances) goes on just to get the NCT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

draffodx wrote: »
    Yeh, the nct has to be done every two years so if its out by say 6 months then the cert is back dated those 6 months and you only get 18 months nct on the car then before it has to be retested.

But you dont have to pay for previous tests that weren't carried out

The NCT is a bit of a joke, I got failed on a loose, headlight, got it checked by my mechanic, tightened it a bit, went back and they gave me the cert without even checking the car!

So when looking at a car even if it had an NCT i'd still have it thoroughly looked over
    ya but what if the NCT is out by 4 years? is it backdated or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Ush1 wrote: »
    Didn't check for problems with the electrics for my lights and the omissions from the car are woeful!

What was missing exactly? :confused:

Its a bit silly to suggest that a mechanic might not spot things that an NCT tester will see.
    Firstly, we would know what to look out for as far as reliability is concerned and what are the most common failures on particular cars etc. the NCT guy isnt going to know that. hes just a "meter reader" and thats the exact words i got from one of them when i challenged him on the "orangness" of an indicator lamp once. "I'm just a meter reader".

The mechanic will also get more time to nosey over the car and let it get to full temperature and actually drive it in more than 1 gear. The NCT test only lasts 5mins on a 20 meter strip. there also the issue of people borrowing parts from one car to pass another one. i know of this being done, so as far as that new fancy NCT cert goes, its tecnically void. only a garrentee that the car was legal at one stage.

Its a piece of paper at the end of the day and people should't rely on it being a garentee of a safe and reliable car. sure, its good to have but its not the be all and end all.

the NCT system is a joke and there is a fair bit of corruption going on within it.
    :)

DaMonk wrote: »
    ya but what if the NCT is out by 4 years? is it backdated or something?
    No.
    Its a bit silly to suggest that a mechanic might not spot things that an NCT tester will see.
    So, you perform every test that the NCT does then? No? didn't think so. No-one is suggesting not to get a car checked by a competent mechanic. This thread is about the advisability of buying a car with no NCT.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    No.

So, you perform every test that the NCT does then? No? didn't think so. No-one is suggesting not to get a car checked by a competent mechanic. This thread is about the advisability of buying a car with no NCT.

Did I answer that question? Didn't think so....

And yes, I would perform pretty much all the checks the NCT would do all be it without the facilities they are using unless the car is coming down to the garage with ya for the checks, which isn't uncommon.

keep in mind that the NCT inspector is looking for road worthiness and not reliability/condition. The mechanic on the other hand is going to be able to give you a lot more advice on the cars condition as well as if there has been any body work done.

So jump back into yore box there pal and take a chill pill. ;)

• Advertisement

How much do you charge for an NCT-equivalent test, then?

And a winking smilie does not excuse your childish, condescending comment.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭briana7214

I have bought a few cars over the years without NCT's and my advice is if you are not handy with diy on cars it can be a real pain in the a$$. most people dont put them through because they know they wont pass and they dont want the hassle and expense of repairing them and sell them on ,thing is if you can fix em up yourself you will pick em up cheaper than one with a test and if you can make sure they are running pretty ok and wont cost the earth to fix up you can haggle the price ( great fun :D ) and will get yourself a bargain . the most trouble I've had is a clutch went on my way home with one, most others got tested with minimal cost but sometimes LOT of effort!
    One thing I usually do is use the test to tell me whats wrong and then all I have to do is fix what they tell me and pay the re-test fee of €29, cheaper than getting someone to check out the car imo.:D

briana7214 wrote: »
    One thing I usually do is use the test to tell me whats wrong and then all I have to do is fix what they tell me and pay the re-test fee of €29, cheaper than getting someone to check out the car imo.:D
    +1 on this advice.

Not your ornery onager

briana7214 wrote: »

I agree, theres a lot of garages out there offering "NCT pretests" and although they will give the car a good going over, you'll usually find they reccomend a full service and also find some small "faults you knew nothing about". you'll pay at least 200 quid for this privilege whereas you could easily just stick it in and see what it fails on. :)

of course its reccomended you give it the once over to make sure theres nothing obvious it'll fail on. If memory serves me right the NCT website has a list of things to check as common failures that could save you the retest fee. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So jump back into yore box there pal and take a chill pill. ;)

And you jump back into your box too. Next time I see you back seat modding again you will not get off with just a warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭roadrunner 1

well i would buy a car with no nct however, i have seen two latelly and some people are just dreamers a 1997 renault megane no nct no tax non runner apparant electrical problem a snip at only 700e !!!!! a 2000 peugeot 406 est petrol 2ltr no nct or tax a bargain at only 2300e

if i did buy one i would only look at 100e max i am talking bangers and i think thats all there money
    (the renault i was going to offer 25e) (i just walked away)

Advertisement