Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing an air-rifle

Options
  • 29-04-2009 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Can anyone advise where I might source one of the following air-rifles in Ireland (west or Dublin preferably)?

Umarex Perfecta 55

Weihrauch HW25L

Gamo Hunter 440

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Ring some gunshops.

Not being smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dochara

Really? :rolleyes:

So that's what the yoke in the corner with all the numbered buttons is for? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

dochara wrote: »
    Really? :rolleyes:

So that's what the yoke in the corner with all the numbered buttons is for? :eek:

I thought that was the remote cotrol :D no serious now its throught what ducks hoop said your best bid is to ring your local firearms dealer and see can they order one in for you. You could try duffys in galway they might have something your after.
    http://www.shoot.ie/

Have you looked at bsa either I know ardee stock them or are able to get them in. Your dealer will have to go through them any way.

http://www.ardeesports.com/brands.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭smallfry

Island Sports, Castlebar. 0949025060, talk to john or pat

smallfry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Man you have to phone around.

Try here:

http://www.irishguntrader.ie/list/39

FS

• Advertisement

Finally picked my new Gamo 440 today - and I didn't ring anyone! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Finally picked my new Gamo 440 today - and I didn't ring anyone! ;)

How are you finding it? Is it .17 or .22 I have the Gamo Viper-Max; I have to say I love it. Great cheap way of doing some target work. Gamo seem to be very popular in Spain, my mate have the Viper .22 that also take a small air cartridge, which holds a number of smaller pellets. It's great for the bunnies on the mountains over there. Best of luck with it and I hope you enjoy it.

It feels and looks good - will report back after a few days. It's a 0.177 - paper targets only!

Bunnies look much nicer alive to me! ;)

Just done a quick web search on that model, it looks nice. Are you going to put a scope on it; if so I thought I would share my experience. I have read it and it has been posted here too; however, springer’s are supposed to be very hard on scopes, I now only use the iron sights, I went through three scope in one year on the viper-max, now I went put through 10,000 pellets in that time frame, I was mostly hitting paper. However, I did not expect to go through that amount of scopes, they never recieved a bang and I never dropped it.

This was at the time you could legally do some target work on private lands; so I would go through 300 pellets in each session. Easily done in the course of a few hours once you have enough paper with you. The Gamo was followed by a Lanber 12g, then a CZ .17hrm. However, I have to say I still look forward to and enjoy taking the Gamo out for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Odysseus wrote: »
    How are you finding it? Is it .17 or .22 I have the Gamo Viper-Max; I have to say I love it. Great cheap way of doing some target work. Gamo seem to be very popular in Spain, my mate have the Viper .22 that also take a small air cartridge, which holds a number of smaller pellets. It's great for the bunnies on the mountains over there. Best of luck with it and I hope you enjoy it.

Did you know that gamo is part of the bsa group, or vice versa.

Yeah gamo owns bsa, that means that most of there springers are the same but bsa still produce there high end gun barrels and pcp's in Birmingham.

• Advertisement

Getting used to it - slowly. Grouping left and low and adjustment of sights doesn't seem to be working.

Roughly how much does one need to twist the adjustment wheels?

Getting used to it - slowly. Grouping left and low and adjustment of sights doesn't seem to be working.

Roughly how much does one need to twist the adjustment wheels?

I'm not great on explaining the whole sighting process, and I'm sure there are better ways than my approach. It depends on how much the shots are off, and what range you are shooting from.

If I was you I would move closer to to the target so that you are hiting the point of aim; or you are off only to the left. Once I got that I would adjust the sights so that you have got it spot on.

Once I have that, I would move back 5 or 10 yrds fire another group, after seeing how low I was I would stay at that point; fire a new group with each adjustment. Once that was sorted, I would move back again repeating the process until I had reached my range. I generally have mine for 30-35yrds, you not really going to be aiming at anying past the 40 yrds mark with an air-rifle, though on some ocassions I have done target work at 50 yrds.

Does that help any?

Odysseus wrote: »
    If I was you I would move closer to to the target so that you are hiting the point of aim; or you are off only to the left.

Thanks for your advice. No matter how close I go and what adjustment I do, I am still grouping tightly left and low. Tried today as close as 15 feet and still the same.

How do I know if the adjustment wheels are actually doing anything? Shouldn't they be stiff to turn? Mine are not. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

good tip on it here, post number 65, maybe take it off and start from the begining and follow these instructions(shorter distances for your air rifle)
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055444087&page=5

Advertisement