Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So i have a few questions...Skiing/NZ

Options
  • 29-04-2009 7:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hey,

Just what to know if anyone can help me out as myself and my travelling buddies are confused about the right way to go about things for the next few months...

Basically we are in living in Sydney at the mo. Planning on leaving the day our lease is up in June and head for New Zealand. We want to travel around the south island for about a week or so and then go somewhere to ski. I know all the major ski fields are located around Queenstown which is perfect coz we want to do all the extreme sport things there anyway.

So i'd like to get some advice about a few things that might help us on our way...

1. If anyone has any good websites to book cheap flights to NZ?
    2. Would it be best to book cars before we go over on line or is it possible to pick up cheap enough rental cars over there? We'll be driving in convoy so will prob need two cars.
    3. Has anyone booked a ski holiday for NZ as a package deal and would they recommend this?
    4. If we haven't got any ski-related things booked before leaving Sydney ie accomadation, ski passes, etc is it ok to just rock up to places and book in? Or would that end up costing a complete fortune?

Any advice at all would be great coz we are all pretty clueless about it all.

Thanks!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Jet star are currently doing flights to Christchurch for $99

(119 with check in luggage)

that is very very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

You can book accommodation before leaving, but I wouldn't get the lift passes until the day. Better to see what the weather is doing and which fields are open.
    Near Queenstown Coronet Peak is usually open early but is low so can be unpredictable. Remarkables open later. Near Wanaka Cardrona and treble cone are the fields- Treble cone is great but pretty steep. And there's Mt hutt near Christchurch.
    If you're around for a while you can get a season pass, and one to cover coronet, remarkables and hutt together...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

www.snow.co.nz

Dont rule out the ski fields around christchurch. There are as many near it as Queenstown. Got some new Ski boots today so I might see you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

Air New Zealand are doing a special until next weekend: if you book a flight from Oz to NZ you get an internal flight in NZ for free. And I think if you book a return flight you get 2 free internal flights.

They won't beat Jetstar on price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Don't want to get your hopes up for the skiing, because things can change quickly, but there's been HEAPS of snow all across the south island fields this weekend.
    Mt Hutt looking good.
    Woohoo!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Woohoo!:D
    +1000

Doing the season in Queenstown myself this year, just make sure you save some snow for me.

Advertisement