Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed Blasphemy Law

1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Bougeoir wrote: »
    This is absolutely disgraceful! I Hate this government especially Dermot Ahern - he's a stupid idiot! Grrr! :mad: They didn't even allow for a debate on it. Great so I'm guessing the Senate will approve it and then the president will have to sign it and voilà it's in law! And then if you say anything bad about religion due it's "sacredness" you may be held libel having to go to court, pay a huge fine and having your house raided by the Gardaí and we all know who the first ones will be, the Muslims because they just love blasphemy laws! You say Mohammed and boo they're out in force!

Ok rant over, Blasphemy Ireland are meeting in Wynn Hotel between 2pm and 5pm on Saturday regarding the Blasphemy bullshít. So if anyone's free, attend and bring friends. This is just ridiculous, I'm fuming!!! :mad::mad::mad:

You can refuse to pay the fine and you can refuse to be arrested, you have a choice.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

You can refuse to pay the fine and you can refuse to be arrested, you have a choice.

Meanwhile back in the real world...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

apparently the defamation act won't be signed by order of the minister and be law till october??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

apparently the defamation act won't be sgined by order of the minister and be law till october??

It's standard enough practice to commence different provisions of an Act at different times, occasionallly years after the Act was signed into law. He could delay commencing the blasphemous libel bit for a while and see if an opportunity comes up to hold a referendum in the meantime but thats probably unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well its one good way to drive that wedge further into Irish politics and Northern Irish politics. The Loyalists will take one look at the new blasphemy law and go, " **** that, I dont want to be part of this constitution", knocking the Peace Process back to the late 60s.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Well its one good way to drive that wedge further into Irish politics and Northern Irish politics. The Loyalists will take one look at the new blasphemy law and go, " **** that, I dont want to be part of this constitution", knocking the Peace Process back to the late 60s.

Yes; the Loyalist paramilitaries are likely to take up arms again over this issue.....:rolleyes:
    Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This is so true. The only reason loyalists have stopped fighting is because they're willing to be ruled by the current Irish constitution. That's why there are no loyalists any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

copying from AI via MN
    The Defamation Act will probably not become operable until mid to late October, because the rules of court need to be amended to accommodate it. The Law Reform Division of the Department of Justice has confirmed that:

“The Act is subject to a commencement order. It is intended to commence all provisions of the Act simultaneously. However, it is not possible to make a commencement order at present as the Circuit and Superior Court Rules need to be amended to accommodate a number of procedural changes in the new legislation. It is not possble to give an exact date yet for commencement of the Act but it is expected to be mid to late October.”

Thanks to Faduda and Jon Pierson for getting this confirmation for us.

The Minister for Justice has the option of commencing different parts of the Act at different times. Atheist Ireland will continue to ask him to delay commencing the blasphemy sections, until such time as a referendum can be held to remove the reference to blasphemy from the Constitution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the blasphemy law ,is a crude attemt to protect outdated ideas,this is a irish joke playing out in real life,only far more tragic,instigated by you know who ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

getz wrote: »
    instigated by you know who ,

The Devil?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Zillah wrote: »
    The Devil?
    some people call him that

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

You know you've made the big time when featured in Jesus and Mo.

2009-07-28.jpg

EDIT: one more:

2009-07-24.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Zillah wrote: »
    The Devil?

No, Lord Voldemort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Swedes to the rescue!

A Swedish MP says he has lodged a complaint with the European Commission over Ireland's new blasphemy law.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0818/blasphemy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

This is a serious step backwards for a government who are already totally screwed. i hate fianna fail and it is some small comfort to know that they have absolutely no future in Ireland. Things like blasphemy laws are just distractions from the bigger picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

pH wrote: »
    Swedes to the rescue!

A Swedish MP says he has lodged a complaint with the European Commission over Ireland's new blasphemy law.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0818/blasphemy.html

That is good news.
    A Raising awareness.
    B The European Commission will have to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Only a matter of time before people start stuttering in anger over "interference". I'll take good government where I can get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Apologies for the bump, I found a quote from James Randi and I thought it is kind of relevant to the whole blasphemy issue.

James Randi announced the following in an attempt to break the blasphemy laws that exist in some American states (he was trying to get arrested):
    "I hereby state my opinion that the notion of a god is a basic superstition and that there is no evidence for the existence of any god(s). Further, devils, demons, angels and saints are myths; there is no life after death, no heaven or hell; the Pope is a dangerous, bigoted, medieval dinosaur, and the Holy Ghost is a comic-book character worthy of laughter and derision. I accuse the Christian god of murder by allowing the Holocaust to take place--not to mention the 'ethnic cleansing' presently being performed by Christians in our world -- and I condemn and vilify this mythical deity for encouraging racial prejudice and commanding the degradation of women." -- from Skeptic magazine (1995 Vol.3 No.4 p.11)

He's such an awesome old man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Bit of an unnecessary swipe at comic books, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

Overblood wrote: »
    Apologies for the bump, I found a quote from James Randi and I thought it is kind of relevant to the whole blasphemy issue.

James Randi announced the following in an attempt to break the blasphemy laws that exist in some American states (he was trying to get arrested):

He's such an awesome old man.

Battling cancer at the moment. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement