Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MDF query

Options
  • 29-04-2009 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

I have been called to do a bit of paneling in a bathroom in a very old house. Not T&G. A more victorian style with mouldings

I will all be made up from MDF .

I was wondering. Is there a more moisture resistant MDF available . as it is an old bathroom the regular MDF could be damaged .

A board of the regular stuff cost around 30

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

You could try MR-MDF, basically moisture resistant MDF. Think its available from woodworkers.ie. Naturally it will be pricier than normal MDF but by how much i couldnt tell you.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

its about 35 a sheet and states that its moisture resistant for up to 1 hour so its not great in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've used the moisture resistant grade in the past (for a shopfront signboard) but if you want it to last you've got to be careful about edge sealing and preparation. All cut edges have to be sealed with an oil based paint/ primer. Follow this up with multiple coats of paint!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I've used the moisture resistant grade in the past (for a shopfront signboard) but if you want it to last you've got to be careful about edge sealing and preparation. All cut edges have to be sealed with an oil based paint/ primer. Follow this up with multiple coats of paint!

+1 on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

is that the suff with the green core .

must get on the the provider to see if I can get a few sheets

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 12A

You would be better off using plywood where there is moisture involved
    WBP at least, marine if you want a sure job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've seen WBP ply used for sign boards on shopfronts and it can start to delaminate (depends on the quality I suppose) after a few years of exposure, whereas the shopfront where I used MR-MDF is still sound after 8 years or so. Marine ply would be better but it's very pricey...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

if it were my house id use the marine ply ,simple as
    wouldn put mdf anywhere near a place where there is going to be water and moisture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 12A

I've seen WBP ply used for sign boards on shopfronts and it can start to delaminate (depends on the quality I suppose) after a few years of exposure, whereas the shopfront where I used MR-MDF is still sound after 8 years or so. Marine ply would be better but it's very pricey...

WBP is not suitable for the likes of shop fronts or anywhere there is constant exposure to water or the elements, however panelling in a bathroom shouldn’t really come into this category

endasmail wrote: »
    wouldn put mdf anywhere near a place where there is going to be water and moisture

I cant use plywood for panaling.

• Advertisement

12A wrote: »
    WBP is not suitable for the likes of shop fronts or anywhere there is constant exposure to water or the elements, however panelling in a bathroom shouldn’t really come into this category

I have used WBP for facia & soffets in a good few houses. Alum primed and good alweather paint has kept the ply safe for the last 10 years. Still looks like new.
    endasmail wrote: »

I cant use plywood for panaling.

I am going to use MR- MDF. Keep it off the ground and tell the painter to make sure it it well protected .

Advertisement