Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

taking pics at concerts

• 29-04-2009 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    How strick are venues about people taking pictures? Espically when it says 'no cameras' on the ticket?

If 'one' is caught taking pics will they just say to stop or throw 'one' out?

I have a bridge/super zoom camera so it's not exactly pocket size...

Cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Is this the norm?
    I haven't been to a concert in years, heading to <SNIP> on Saturday. Should I just leave the camera at home?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

depends on the size of the camera...small ones no bother... slr... issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Dory- presuming it's a pocket/compact camera bring it.

I'm also talking about a Morrissey concert so they could be odd/strict/under orders from His Royal Highness....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

no chat bout certain promotors folk!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    How strick are venues about people taking pictures? Espically when it says 'no cameras' on the ticket?

If 'one' is caught taking pics will they just say to stop or throw 'one' out?

I have a bridge/super zoom camera so it's not exactly pocket size...

Cheers,
    Pa.

I had trouble with one particular promoter who I wont
    Mention. If you get in (ie smuggle) with your camera there's little they
    Can do really unless there's a lot of crowd supervision going on but rarely is.
    Don't ask whatever you do but I've smuggled my SLR in a couple of times and thats with a 200 m lens. If the catch you at the gate they'll just say lose the camera.

Got thrown out of the Pamplona bull run 3 times for same offence!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I was looking at an REM concert on TV the other nite and the amount of people using either their camera fones or pocket cameras was unreal, it seems like its more important to get a video/picture of the concert now than listen and enjoy the artists ! (I'm guilty myself of course:o, but thats when I was young and clueless :eek:)
    I'm also talking about a Morrissey concert so they could be odd/strict/under orders from His Royal Highness....
    Chalk it down.....long live Morrisseeeeeeeee !! ;):P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I went to a concert (which cannot be named) at a venue (which cannot be named) & just took my D70S & 70-300 lens in without a worry. I had been to the same venue previously when given free tickets & there was an announcement of "No Flash Photography" but I would not use flash, so was happy enough. The second time I went I assumed that it would be the same. I took my seat high at the back & was only one of many taking photo's. Most were using P&S with Flash, which was really annoying whereas I was quietly shooting & not annoying anyone. A security guy came along & told me that Photo's were not allowed. I asked if he was going to tell everyone around that was flashing away & recording Video & Sound etc. No .... Just me. It was the last time I went to an event run by that company & was before I was active on Boards. With other issues I would be reluctant to ever pay money to that company again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

I've brought my SLR into gigs a few times, my SLR is tiny though!

What I tend to do is set my camera up before going in and turning off the screen so the bouncers can't notice you too easily.

if you have a slr its not hard to get a photo pass... at least your up front and not p1ssing off punters who wanna most and the shots will be alot better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

i Recently had a press pass to a concert. I walked in with camera in my hand and every security i passed stopped me asking me to leave until they saw my special bands, got tiring after a while. There seemed to be no problem with the smaller camera but I'd say they would most likely consider a bridge to be close to a pro and say no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Top Tip:
    if youve a bridge camera. Just before you go to security, shove said camera down the front of your jeans/fashionable trousers, the security will never search your 'private area'. Works every time..
    Have to walk a bit funny tho : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

"is that a camera in your trousers or are you just excited to be going to the concert?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

So how do you get a photo pass? Do you have prove that you work for a magazine/paper/website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

It really depends on both the venue and the band.

I was at a recent unmentionable rock gig in the point last week. In the queue on the way in, the guy in front of us was stopped and brought back because he had a bridge camera around his neck. Luckily for me I was able to use an old distraction trick to get my slr in with a couple of lenses. Really though I just got lucky by going to a really stupid security guard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I was looking at an REM concert on TV the other nite and the amount of people using either their camera fones or pocket cameras was unreal, it seems like its more important to get a video/picture of the concert now than listen and enjoy the artists ! (I'm guilty myself of course:o, but thats when I was young and clueless :eek:)

Chalk it down.....long live Morrisseeeeeeeee !! ;):P

An absolute pet hate if mine. I know these people will seem popular when they put these pictures (which are usually of a turd quality) up on bebo or facebook, but why waste all that money on a few lousy pictures and actaully listen to the music. Makes my blood boil so it does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Actually I got a pic at an unmentionable of the crowd and their cameras, it was quite funny. Yeah it is almost unbearable, I did the 3 song rule and enjoyed the rest of the gig, how could you enjoy a gig holding a camera in the air.

Actually I got a pic at an unmentionable of the crowd and their cameras, it was quite funny. Yeah it is almost unbearable, I did the 3 song rule and enjoyed the rest of the gig, how could you enjoy a gig holding a camera in the air.

It's easy enough to work out the mentality of a crowd at a large gig by just counting the mobile phones being held in the air and any point in the evening.

on the flip side, i do go to gigs of bands i don't like, knowing i can then focus on the photography, some of thw worst bands in the world have the best light engineers :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

We have had several arguements at different concerts regarding cameras!! Most of them I have won on the argument that its not a professional camera that its a point and shoot (Sony H9) but we have had a few arguments that we were told if we were seen take 1 more picture we would be removed!!

eeyore2502 wrote: »
    We have had several arguements at different concerts regarding cameras!! Most of them I have won on the argument that its not a professional camera that its a point and shoot (Sony H9) but we have had a few arguments that we were told if we were seen take 1 more picture we would be removed!!

its not an issue of it being proffession or not... many artists request no photos full stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

I know some band request but other bands have said they like to see it and one band in particular where running a photo competition, pictures taken at the concerts and we still had arguments with security!!

eeyore2502 wrote: »
    I know some band request but other bands have said they like to see it and one band in particular where running a photo competition, pictures taken at the concerts and we still had arguments with security!!

well theres also the venue... its a private building... there is two hurdles for photo taking at gigs... load a balls really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

its not an issue of it being proffession or not... many artists request no photos full stop
    Those same artists are up their own ars e.

Usually yeah.

ya ever hear of the meteors? hardcore pyschobilly act... real old school. they requested no shots cos they were so old and haggard... didnt want shots of em like that around, wanted to be remebered as they used to look... thats the big reason alot of artist do that

Advertisement