Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dublin Ice Rink

Options
  • 29-04-2009 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hey, not sure if any one here has been to Dundalk to see the Dublin Rams playing in the All Ireland Ice hockey league (IIHL) but I heard that that the Rams will have a new home in Finglas as there is a new ice rink there that is near completion. Anyone here have any news on this developement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

That would be great news.

No idea where in Finglas though, since I haven't seen/heard of any ice rink there.

Any more details on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭KevinMc

near the airport. Anyway, for two years the Dublin rams have had to play their home games in the Dundalk Icedome and that has impacted on the supporters that can make it. but hopefully this will change. There are a few other dublin teams two that may benefit from this facility so it's sure to be busy!! At least it'll take that pressure off the IceDome to fit all the training and matches in!

I've seen the Rams play, and it would be great to see a venue for them near the airport (handy for me too).

Good news. Still, I wonder the exact location of this new venue. Nothing on the IIHA nor Rams websites about it.

not exacly sure where myself. Heard the structure is up just the fixtures and fittings, pipes etc to go in. So have you seen any new unexplained buildings in the area? lol

Only heard about this this morning. As the rink is privately owned the details will only appear on the IIHA and Rams website when the owner says. I put this thread on here to see if someone has seen any such bulding being constructed.

This is probably the best location for it. With buses from Dublin and belfast serving the airport in particular the aircoach as it serves the ice dome in Dundalk too all the venues will be well linked by public transport.

I hear the rink is going in to the charlestown shopping centre and will open this summer!!

So does anyone have info on how to get there by public transport coming from the Norhern Ireland? Better to get the bus to the airport or better to go into dublin then get a bus to finglas?

• Advertisement

Charlestown?? LOL. There has been no construction work over there in nearly a year now, and certainly no large structure that could be an ice rink that I have seen.

As for transport, you'd have to get to Dublin city centre, then get a 140, 83, 40B bus out to Charlestown Shopping centre.

Apparently there is a large unit in the shopping centre that is suitable. I hope it's not any samller than theIceDome??:confused:

This sounds very weird.

Charlestown Shopping Centre is in use. One level of parking (underground), one level of shops (all in use) and then a few levels of apartments. No space within that for any ice-rink.

Now, Charlestown phase two, was due to be finished this summer, but with the credit crunch, all building stopped over a year ago. They were supposed to have a number of large structures, including a cinema, so an ice-rink could have been proposed for there. Anyway, none of that has been built.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 WayneH

The Ice rink is planned to open around the end of June, and it is located in the charlestown complex. I believe its gonna be a big dome roof over an ice rink with no walls etc for the min, thats how it will open so quick. we'll wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Have any of ye been following the World Championships? I'm in Bern at the moment & the city is full of ice hockey fans. All beered-up, shouting, singing & generally having a jolly good time.

• Advertisement

Well, I live 2 min from Charlestown centre, and there has been no construction there in a long long time. There's certainly no dome, and no structure above ground height.

While I'd really love the ice rink to be there, I certainly can't see how anything would be ready this year, never mind this summer.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Have any of ye been following the World Championships? I'm in Bern at the moment & the city is full of ice hockey fans. All beered-up, shouting, singing & generally having a jolly good time.
    sound like made craic, having a passing interest in the professionally work championships but my main focus would be the Division 3 with team Ireland, no medals this year but better luck next year.

As for the rink in Dublin the IIHA have dropped a hint on the site that a new rink in Dublin will open and a player from the Flyers IHC rang charlestown and they confirmed that it will open this summer.

perhaps the rink on this page is more likely: http://www.freeportny.gov/index.aspx?NID=386

IIHL Final League Standings

Date16.05.2009 19:43AuthorIIHA As already discussed, with the unfortunate turn of events over the IIHA playoffs the IIHA Executive have decided to settle the final league standings according to win percentage. Because of the large disparity between the amount of games played, the win percentage is the fairest and most responsible way of settling the league. Therefore, the final league standings are:

1. Dundalk Bulls
    2. Latvian Hawks
    3. Dublin Rams
    4. Belfast Junior Giants
    5. Dublin Wolves
    6. Flyers IHC

Congratulations to the Bulls for their second consecutive league victory and to all the teams for participating in what has turned into a very difficult season.
    Taken from www.iiha.org

The Dublin Rams were the only team to actually honour ALL of their fixtures this season as getting ice time at the Dundalk Ice Dome became more difficult and as the season dragged on and teams broke up for the summer. This is not a fair decision and in my opinion(totally unbias being a Belfast Fan) the Dublin Rams should have been given the league title this year since they are the only team to complete the season with professionalism and without drama.

My hope for next season is that the new rink at Charlestown provides ice time for the Rams and other teams like the Wolves and the Flyers to complete their fixtures and make the Irish Ice Hockey League better than the previous two seasons.

Hopefully the IIHA will find new support and volunteers in the Dublin area as the working relationship with the IceDome has been stressed this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=F09A/0181&theTabNo=2&backURL=%3Ca%20href=wphappcriteria.display%3ESearch%20Criteria%3C/a%3E%20%3E%20%3Ca%20href=%27wphappsearchres.displayResultsURL?ResultID=417449%26StartIndex=11%26SortOrder=rgndat,apnid%26DispResultsAs=wphappsresweek1%26BackURL=%3Ca%20href=wphappcriteria.display%3ESearch%20Criteria%3C/a%3E%27%3ESearch%20Results%3C/a%3E#tabdetails
    Directive Water Services: The following additional information is requested: a. Foul Sewer: The applicant is requested to submit foul drainage details. b. Surface Water The applicant is requested to submit Surface Water drainage details. c. Water Supply The applicant is requested to submit details of potable water supply including demand of public water required to construct ice rink if necessary.

Dated 29/05/09 !!

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:pRdjhCCDAX4J:www.brl.ie/pdf/15_090409.pdf+ice%2Brink%2Bcharlestown%2Bdublin%2B09&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie&client=firefox-a
    Proposed Development: Permission to provide a temporary 'Events Area'. The
    proposed 'events area' will host a series of temporary
    uses such as an ice rink with play areas, santas
    grotto, craft and antique fairs, exhibitions, community
    events, sporting activities etc. in area of 4187 sq.m.
    located to the west of the existing centre. This area
    would be accessed by pedestrians via existing west
    entrance of the centre and off Charles Place via
    existing walkway along western side of the centre.
    The use is for a temporary from 18th June 2009 until
    31st January 2010. Temporary marquee structures
    and facilities will be erected as required for the
    holding of the events but there will be not permanent
    works to site area. This site comprises part of the
    Phase 2 development area, granted permission under
    Reg. Ref. F08A/0431

Temporary? :/

I have to say that if this is a temporary structure it will come as a surprise to many as the IIHA and the Dublin Rams Ice Hockey Club had been quite excited about this new facility and it was supposed to be the start of Irish Ice Hockey's venture into the capital.

June 18th is not that for away now so it will be interesting to see what happens from here.

Well, I've still seen no signs of any construction in the area.

However, there is a http://www.charlestownonice.com/ website. The managers of the Charlestown Centre have also confirmed the 18th June as opening date.

It's all very interesting.

If it's the Bubble structure that I linked before I don't think it'll take to long to throw that up. I know a couple of places in Belfast that cover out door facilities with this type of thing in the winter time.

The big mystery is that it's temporary, this just doesn't make sence? If they are laying piping etc then why go to that bother for a temporary facility. I'm beginning to wonder if it will even be 'real' ice now will will thay just us the fake stuff that appears at christmas time, cos that could also be thrown up in relatively no time.

As I said before, I'll believe it when I see it.

I know they said that a number of hockey teams were interested in using the venue, but if it's only a temp place, that would be strange.

Only 12 days to go until opening. I might have a walk over there this evening and see what I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mynameisgraeme

I may also take a trip over, it would be facinating to see all the hype!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

Hey the rink should be open in the next 2-3 weeks

It is going to be NHL size so this means the dimensions will be

200 feet (61 m) × 85 feet (26 m). The corners are rounded in the arc of a circle with a radius of 28 feet (8.5 m).

I had a walk over and there was no signs of any work being done on the site.

I do hope it happens and is properly built. It would be great to have a proper ice rink there.

miceal: how do you know? Is it permanent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MoNsToUr

does anyone know how much they are going to charge in and what the opening hours are going to be

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

MoNsToUr wrote: »
    does anyone know how much they are going to charge in and what the opening hours are going to be

It might be a tad too soon to say given that Paulw stated above "there was no signs of any work being done on the site."

Actually, I've an update there, yesterday evening there was a yellow crane working on the site. It wasn't one of the large normal construction cranes, but a smaller one. So, maybe something is finally moving there.

I also heard adverts for it today on FM104, and them talking about the new "Charlestown on Ice" for the summer.

It gets more and more interesting as time goes by.

It's certainly one of those temp buildings, as shown here. Looks like it'll be ready for the 18th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 pip-irl

http://www.charlestownonice.ie/

also someone in dundalk told me there a few weeks ago it is only for skating for the time been. till things are sorted. but i dont know if thats true or not there just going off what they were told.

Also went by the shopping centre there yesterday looks like it is ready to be opened.

Big question... was there pipes laid for 'real ice' or is it the fake stuff like what 7up puts up in at christmas time.

It's fenced off, so no visibility of ground level. I could only see stuff built over 7ft high. So, I've no idea what sort of ice it is, or how it's done.

• Advertisement

€14 per hour, for ****s sakes.

Advertisement