Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dublin Ice Rink

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 hockey1

Just to note the rink is open and functional in the charlestown shoppng complex you may get to the ice rink by entering the shopping centre and exting via the house of colour exit the rink is covered by a marqee and is 1750 sq m which is a full size NHL rink they are in the process of starting off ther learn to play learn to skate adults and children lessone and all details are available on the web r at the box office

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

From the website:

CHARLESTOWN ON ICE is the first Summer ice skating experience in Ireland. It is the first full size Ice hockey rink in Dublin and the first to be opened during the summer.

Visitors will enter Charlestown on Ice through a themed ice archway at the popular Charlestown Shopping Centre incorporating a funky retro 16ft high jukebox and then walk through a 70 metre themed tunnel to the enormous eco friendly Olympic size skating rink which can be used in any weather.

CHARLESTOWN ON ICE opens on June 18th and is open Monday to Friday from 10am until late and Saturday and Sunday from 9am until late everyday. Tickets start at just €8 for skating sessions. Charlestown Shopping Centre is located at the busy junction 5 of the N2 and the M50 and is easily accessible from both Dublin and surrounding counties. Tickets are now on sale online at charlestownonice.ie or call the ice line at 0818 300365

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Survived week 4 of the 6 week learn to skate program. Will be testing for levels 1 & 2 in a few weeks time, with the possibility of testing for level 3, but think I would prefer to take more time for level 3, as one of the techniques, I don't feel too confident on, and think I would prefer to feel more confident on the techniques, than feeling I am trying to play catch up in future lessons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Is that dog stuffed? :confused:

Had my second last week of the 6 week course last night, and must say I am enjoying it thoroughly. Some of the techniques (especially the backwards ones), I find are hard to practice in public sessions, which is partially a confidence thing, but also to do with how many other people are on the ice, but I do feel myself improving from one week to the next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭KevinMc

Thats good, glad to hear the lessons are going well down there and by the sounds of things the public sessions are busy enough. Don't forget the new Irish Ice Hockey league is coming fast so hopefully we'll get a good show from the Dubliners this year. Dundalk has won the league the last two years even though the dublin rams should have been winners last year.

Well there is a radio show every money night on DundalkFM100 if you want to know more about the sport and the league.

Hopfully the admin and the mods wont mind if i post a few useful websites here for anyone thats interested in the IIHL for next year.

Info:
    www.faceoff.ie
    www.iiha.org
    http://www.bebo.com/BullsEye100fm
    www.dundalkicedome.com

Some irish teams from last season:
    www.dundalkbulls.com
    www.dublinrams.com
    www.flyersicehockey.com

UK elite league for people who what to experience pro hockey
    www.belfastgiants.com
    www.odysseyarena.com
    www.eliteleague.co.uk

I'm sure if people from the charlestown area are interested in the IIHL then group travel etc is a possiblilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 iamleighgand

T-K-O wrote: »
    Those pictures are not the actual rink in Charlestown. The rink is going to be slightly smaller than NHL but hey its a start.

Hey are you playing with a team - PM me if you're interested in playing.

:D:D:D
    http://static.boards.ie/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
    hey i live in kildare and dying to play.what this you say about a playing .p.s who are you
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 iamleighgand

hey whats this about interested in playing . what age group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

To find out more send a Private Message to T-K-O. To do this, click on the user name to the left of the T-K-O's post. From the drop down menu select 'Send a private message to T-K-O' & away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

The IIHA are running a Learn to play (LTP) programme every Thursday at 4;15 at COI - children of all ages. If you are a little older and have some experience send me a PM and I'll help you find a team to practice with.

And don't forget the Dundalk Ice Dome has Learn to Play sessions for all ages so if you've never even held a hockey stick that might be the best place to start for over 16s and then enter the Developement league when your ready.

Also, planning on checking the place out this week, what type of hire skates do they have? I don't really wanna carry my own down but I will if they only have figure skating blades. The hockey skates are the best.

KevinMc wrote: »
    Also, planning on checking the place out this week, what type of hire skates do they have? I don't really wanna carry my own down but I will if they only have figure skating blades. The hockey skates are the best.

Hard plastic hockey skates, as is typical of Dublin Christmas rinks :(. I am thinking of getting some figure skates - need that toe pick :P. The pair I had last Monday were blunt, my SIL has suggested I ask for a sharp pair the next time, to see if that works :cool:

DON'T DO IT!!! Get a pair of proper ice hockey skates. Honestly get to the Dome or if your every in the North (making the most of the € rate) there is the hockey locker. The sooner you move to hockey skates the better. I used to use the the hire skates and someone told me to get them changed to the blue bombers or I'd never get used to them. They'll take a while to get used to but you'll never look back. :D

Just listening to the BullsEye show on DundalkFM, Charlestown has got another good mention on there and the manager of charlestown on ice Mark Bowes has been on and his comments have been very encouraging. :)

DON'T DO IT!!! Get a pair of proper ice hockey skates. Honestly get to the Dome or if your every in the North (making the most of the € rate) there is the hockey locker. The sooner you move to hockey skates the better. I used to use the the hire skates and someone told me to get them changed to the blue bombers or I'd never get used to them. They'll take a while to get used to but you'll never look back. :D

Just listening to the BullsEye show on DundalkFM, Charlestown has got another good mention on there and the manager of charlestown on ice Mark Bowes has been on and his comments have been very encouraging. :)

Figure skates for me :D. There is a shop selling ice skates at the rink now, both hockey and figure skates, and they sharpen them there and then too :D. I have spoken to the instructors on their recommendations.

The shop is closed Sundays and Mondays, but open every other day of the week :D

You really should give the hockey skates another chance, I moved to hockey skates and I've been in england a few times for Belfast Giants games and went ice ckating ove there and had to use figure skates and I could hardly move.

But I guess it all depends on what you aim to do, if your planning on being a recreational skater then it really doesn't matter what skates you have but if you wanna get involved with any of the IIHL teams or help on ice at games in charlestown then your really should get on the hockey skates.

Either way i'm glad your enjoying it mate and getting skates is a good sign. :D

You really should give the hockey skates another chance, I moved to hockey skates and I've been in england a few times for Belfast Giants games and went ice ckating ove there and had to use figure skates and I could hardly move.

But I guess it all depends on what you aim to do, if your planning on being a recreational skater then it really doesn't matter what skates you have but if you wanna get involved with any of the IIHL teams or help on ice at games in charlestown then your really should get on the hockey skates.

Either way i'm glad your enjoying it mate and getting skates is a good sign. :D

Figure skates are supposed to be stiff, as when you get to the spins and jumps stage, you need a lot of support, and they need to be quite snug on your foot. I have no yearnings to learn ice hockey. :D

I rang a place in the UK which sells ice skates, and apparently the shop here had me trying on a size too small. The brands they sell here, are in American sizes. I am a UK size, they had me try on the size 7, which is not right. American sizes come in male and female sizes, which are different to each other - I would be a male 7, or female 8 in the US sizes. At least now I know, and am heading out today, to ask to try on the US size 7 and US size 8 - it has been suggested to me, not to tell them my UK size ;)

Everyone is welcome to attend an open ice session at the new charlestown rink this wednesday at 9pm , if you are looking to play for the rams in the A league this year then this is a chance to try out .

Taken from faceoff.ie

I heard the quality of the skates in the Charlestown Rink are quite quite questionable.

• Advertisement

I'm sure those of you that visit the charlestown rink will be aware of the cubs team. but here's the post taken from faceoff about it.
    new mixed team for the B league and are looking for a few extra players, either male or female, with a little experience but its not neccesary, so if you dont normally get alot of ice time this is the team for you. We are hopeing to train in Charlestown aslong as its ready by end of September. We are the CUBS and if you interested call 0858136921

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Is this a permanent ice rink or just seasonal?

The prices seem a little much considering you will pay the same in a UK ice rink, get a days ice skating(not an hour) for your money and have a little change.

hobochris wrote: »
    Is this a permanent ice rink or just seasonal?

The prices seem a little much considering you will pay the same in a UK ice rink, get a days ice skating(not an hour) for your money and have a little change.

I was talking to the security guy a few weeks back. He said that it would definitely be here till January, but is hoped to be there for at least another 12-18 months. The guy who part owns it, is the guy who runs Dundalk Ice Dome, and it is on a trial basis to test the market. Apparently, he has land where he wants to build a permanent rink, but before committing to it, is testing the market.

lordlame wrote: »
    I heard the quality of the skates in the Charlestown Rink are quite quite questionable.

They are not the worst I have had. When I went to Dundalk, I had to try 4 pairs of skates, before I found a decent pair :eek:. I have never had that happen before. Rentals will never be as good as your own skates - blades are a lot blunter etc.

well after the interview he give the Bullseye radio show I would imagine the price seems steep because first and foremost they need to earn back as much of the investment as possible. He said he could have nearly put in a permanent facility for the amount of money it cost to put in and run the semi temp at charlestown. But it was just as important to ensure there is a market for it.

He did say if they figures added up and both the people at the charlestown shopping centre and himself were happy then he would be happy to make the charlestown venue permanent.

It's my opinion that if it were to go permanent then it would operate a timetable/price plan similar to that of the dome. But I guess that also depends on how many teams are paying to train and play there cos that it a valuable source of money. The Ice Dome is regularly booked for 3 hours everynight after it's closed to the public for teams to train.

They are now offering a membership option, which costs €100, which includes 12 free public sessions, and then €10 thereafter, instead of the €14 charge. I am going to sign up for this, as even the sessions included in the cost makes it worthwhile.

They are not the worst I have had. When I went to Dundalk, I had to try 4 pairs of skates, before I found a decent pair :eek:. I have never had that happen before. Rentals will never be as good as your own skates - blades are a lot blunter etc.

I wasn't talking about the rentals but the actual skates themselves. One of the stewards said they were replica skates.

I have found them to be best rental skates I have ever tried - they are similar to those at the Christmas ice rinks (ie plastic shell) around the place.

I now have my own pair, so no more putting my feet into other people's sweat :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Sorry, to dredge up on old thread, but is this rink gone now?

On this website it said it's closed and is being turned into a cinema

http://www.familyfun.ie/charlestown-on-ice/ :(

I was thinking of going ice skating this weekend and all!

• Advertisement

Yup its gone .

Advertisement