Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dublin Ice Rink

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Yup its gone .

Bah. That's a shame. :(

Thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Yep, and the one in Dundalk is also closed at the moment :(. I so miss the skating. Have heard rumours of one being planned in Coolock, but so far, nothing more fruitful than rumours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 guesswhooo

I've heard rumours of an ice rink opening in coolock, near ikea and near the aquatic center...anyone know if any of them are true??? I just want 1 I dont care where!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Allanaudrey

The only thing I know about Coolock is Plex on Ice, which is synthetic ice: http://www.familyfun.ie/plex-on-ice-leisureplex/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

eeeeuchhhk That synthetic ice is awful. You just do not move on it. I've fallen once in my life on real ice and when I tried that synthetic stuff I didn't stop falling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

eeeeuchhhk That synthetic ice is awful. You just do not move on it. I've fallen once in my life on real ice and when I tried that synthetic stuff I didn't stop falling

I worked at one of those synthetic ice rinks when I was 19. Actually, if they're properly maintained (polished and surfaced everyday) and the skates are kept sharp (they go blunt far more quickly on the synthetic stuff) there is little difference between real and fake ice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭KevinMc

Armagh Council are opening a temporary rink. Not sure if it's real or fake but if anyone is shopping in the north at least the option is there £5per hour.

http://www.armagh.gov.uk/event_more_details.php?show=current&eventid=430&monthid=11&from=2

Checked out the Christmas on Ice at Arnotts today, €12 is very expensive. Really takes some getting used to, wish I had of brought my own skates I hate rentals.

KevinMc wrote: »
    Checked out the Christmas on Ice at Arnotts today, €12 is very expensive. Really takes some getting used to, wish I had of brought my own skates I hate rentals.

I havent skated there yet but I saw it, it looks weird! how did it feel? I heard that synthetic ice blunts ur blades so I dont think I'll be bringing my own skates if I go there

To be honest it was pretty bad, so disappointed. I hate rental skates at the best of times but these hurt and they might have been blunt cos my feet did seem to slide a bit from under me.

Not sure if it was the skates or the surface. When I was over in England at the National Ice Centre I went skating and had to use the rentals and it was awkward too. I'm just so used to my own so it's like learning to skate all over again in the rentals.

• Advertisement

I think the surface would be hard to skate on, its looks like wax! last time I wore rentals it took a while to get use to too but I could still move in them...its like the difference of the rinks here, the temp ones are normally snowy where as Dundalk was like glass

We need real ice back :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kaiten

guesswhooo wrote: »
    I think the surface would be hard to skate on, its looks like wax! last time I wore rentals it took a while to get use to too but I could still move in them...its like the difference of the rinks here, the temp ones are normally snowy where as Dundalk was like glass

We need real ice back :(
    Navan has recently opened an Ice Rink... Called up, looks cool, have yet to try out!.. www.navanonice.ie

Anyone been to the one at the RDS yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dolphinv

Published on Wed Feb 02 14:12:26 GMT 2011

THE Dundalk Democrat can reveal that the owners of the Dundalk Ice Dome are in negotiations with two potential leasees to take over operations and they are ‘confident’ that the popular ice rink will reopen.

However, the company which had the original lease on the rink, BKG Ice Rinks and Leisure Ltd, have been appointed a liquidator this week.
    The Ice Dome, which is owned by Finnabair Estates who developed the retail park in which it is situated, has been closed since May of last year.
    The initial closure was put down to maintainence and was meant to last a matter of weeks.
    However, eight months on and the rink remains closed to the public.
    Speaking with the Dundalk Democrat, Neil Armstrong of Finnabair Estates, told the paper that “We are in talks with two operators. We are at an advanced stage and are confident that the Ice Dome will reopen.”
    Mr Armstrong could not confirm if one of the operators was UK outfit, Planet Ice, whom they had been in negotiations with last summer.
    At the time Planet Ice, who run 14 rinks in the UK, told the this paper that they were eager to go ahead with the deal but that it was Finnabair Estates who were to blame for failure to do a deal.
    Speaking with the Dundalk Democrat this week a representative of Finnabair Estates said they wanted to have someone take over the lease as it “benefited no one sitting idle’”
    The Democrat understands that there is a huge demand for the reopening of the rink and that Finnabair Estates have been inundated with enquiries as to the situation with the rink.
    The rink was home to the Irish National Ice Hockey squad and local team the Dundalk Bulls, who have been unable to train at the closed venue.

Heard about the liquidator and posted up on a tread in the louth section, however we were unable to determine if this was good news or the end for the ice dome. Planet Ice and finnabair estates are really only making passing comments to the paper now and again and not responding to emails so not sure the exact situation. Good news....I hope so

Who knows! I dont know why they wont just tell us whats happening! can Finnabair not just stand up and tell us if theres any point of us watching this space?

Its not looking good people!

What happened to the 3 promised rinks in Dublin in the past year? nothing has come of any of them! if theres money to run at least 3 rink at christmas why cant the 3 groups come together to run a year long rink? I dont get it!
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Iceskater101

Ok I know this thread is from ages ago but an ice rink has just opened inside a warehouse in an industrial estate in Castleknock, Dublin. Its REAL ice and looks like it could be permanent for the year (depending on the demand). Its definatly not as big as the ice dome in dundalk but its better then nothing. Also the posted on their facebook page saying that a pick up hockey class and learn to play class may begin in the near future. Their facebook page is Castleknock on Ice.

cheers for the update, great news, looking forward to getting the hockey back in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

There will be a new rink opening beside The Omni Park S.C. (Santry) before Christmas.

There will be a new rink opening beside The Omni Park S.C. (Santry) before Christmas.

would this we real/permanent or artificial/temporary?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hockeymad

KevinMc wrote: »
    would this we real/permanent or artificial/temporary?

It will be real and permanent but not open to the public

Also the new rink in Castleknock in Blanchardstown hope to stay open permanent if they can get the numbers going ( Facebook page Castleknock on Ice )

Come on people get your skates on and get down there
    We have been crying for Ice in Dublin now we have it lets use it and show that there is a big interest in it so we have a full time public rink ;)

hockeymad wrote: »

I thought it would be public too, I'm seeing the guys behind it tonight and ask.

I'll post back with an answer.

I thought it would be public too, I'm seeing the guys behind it tonight and ask.

Can you find out when they are opening

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Also the new rink in Castleknock in Blanchardstown hope to stay open permanent if they can get the numbers going ( Facebook page Castleknock on Ice )

Come on people get your skates on and get down there
    We have been crying for Ice in Dublin now we have it lets use it and show that there is a big interest in it so we have a full time public rink ;)

its hardly dublin... serious trek with the blades :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

It' up and running a couple of weeks Castleknockonice facebook.
    It's in the old Farmhand land at Bradys Garage.

Have a look in the Dublin15 Forum.

its hardly dublin... serious trek with the blades :-(

True its D15 and about 15 min from the city centre and not really that much of a trek if you think about it and stick your skates in an old school bag they are not that heavy:)

Plus its cheaper than the rest of the Christmas rinks in Dublin

Ok initially (due to planning reg's.) it won't be open to the public but they're hoping to get it open very early in the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

IF it's not open to the public, who is using it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 achillies21

Hey , what are the opening times and price of the castleknock on ice rink ??

• Advertisement

Hey , what are the opening times and price of the castleknock on ice rink ??

They are on FB and the times have changed for the Christmas
    They will be open from 12 now till School starts back

They have there own web site as well castleknockonice.com so check them out and spread the word :):):):):):):):)

Advertisement