Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom Wholesale 24mbit and 12mbit Packages Ping Reports Here

Options
  • 29-04-2009 10:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

After last summers 7.6mbit and 7mbit upgrade fiascos there is considerable interest in whether one can upgrade their way out of trouble this time instead of downgrading your way out of trouble to 3mbits :o

This all depends on how eircom set Interleaf on their new ADSL2 technology 12 and 24 mbit packages which are now being offered by Smart and Eircom but not BT Perlico Imagine Voda UTV Digiweb at time of writing .

These are business only packages for now . Eircom price @over €150 and Smart price around €100 but require a VAT number before they sign you up.

This thread is for line stats and pings . The list of exchanges from which these packages are available is in this post HERE but that is subject to slight changes as new small exchanges come on line . Some of those exchanges have Smart LLU as well which will probably have different pings .

The new ADSL 2 packages are 24/1mbit and 12/2mbit . Have eircom fixed the pings I wonder :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This is good news, but doesn't appear to be on Smart's website yet. Also, their line checker is currently giving an error; ERROR [HYT00] [MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Too many connections

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

yeah is good news alright. Dont think many other eircom resellers will take up this though for some reason. At least not for a good few months.

My exchange is listed as being adsl2+ enabled by eircom but yet doesnt come up as available on the smart line checker. But smart normal adsl was never available to me in the first place so I dont think they will be offering this at all of eircoms listed adsl2+ exchanges.

Ill have to wait and see.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

jor el wrote: »
    This is good news, but doesn't appear to be on Smart's website yet. Also, their line checker is currently giving an error; ERROR [HYT00] [MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Too many connections

Smarts new Eircom Bitstream based business packages here:
    http://www.smarttelecom.ie/business_broadband/compare.aspx

However I think some of these prices might be wrong, the 24mb package is half the price Eircom charge (€70 vs €120)!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The price IS near half the eircom price but Smart do not let Residential sign up as Business . If you had a VAT number you could get 24mbits for €85 a month and 12mbits for €80 a month incl line rental and vat

I banged some numbers from the Kincasslagh Exchange in NW Donegal into their Business Package Line Checker but I gotta ring them to get any further than being shown the list .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Where did you hear about the new offerings? Crawler also mentioned some new packages on the other thread, but there's little info on their website about these too, seems to be phone order only yet. Everything on the web is still based around LLU.

This looks like the bitstream products, which are different to their native LLU residential offerings.

• Advertisement

The max residential non LLU is 7mbits for €52.50 a month inc vat in a bundle with no cap , that would be ADSL1 and available anywhere in Ireland .

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/residential_offnet/residential_offnet_compare.aspx

The max Business non LLU is 24mbits for €69.96 a month +VAT in a bundle with no cap , that is ADSL2+ and available off These 300 ish exchanges only , quasi nationwide.

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/business_offnet/compare.aspx

The call packages differ between business and residential bundles . Biz users evidently phone a lot where residential users download a lot so residential bundles come with calls and business bundles not so :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    If you had a VAT number you could get 24mbits for €85 a month and 12mbits for €80 a month incl line rental and vat

According to what Crawler said over on the other thread, I don't think you need a VAT number for the bitstream based ADSL2+ business products (12mb and 24mb), you only need the VAT number for Smarts own LLU based 24mb product, which at €55 is outstanding value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Hi guys!

I'm a bit confused by all this Bitstream vs. LLU vs. ADSL vs. ADSL2+... :o

I would just like to ask the following:

I have recently moved to Ashbourne. If I understand this correctly, the Ashbourne Exchange has recently been upgraded to ADSL2+ (based on this thread).

However, it is not yet possible to get ADSL2+ broadband in Ashbourne yet. Right? Am I correct so far?

Now, I ordered BT 7Mb broadband on Monday so I take it this is ADSL1. And I take it that means the interleaving issues (a.k.a. useless ping issues) don't apply to me. Am I right?

I'm sorry, I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to understanding all of the above... :o

Hi guys!

I'm a bit confused by all this Bitstream vs. LLU vs. ADSL vs. ADSL2+... :o

I would just like to ask the following:

I have recently moved to Ashbourne. If I understand this correctly, the Ashbourne Exchange has recently been upgraded to ADSL2+ (based on this thread).

It has been upgraded, correct .
    However, it is not yet possible to get ADSL2+ broadband in Ashbourne yet. Right? Am I correct so far?

It is possible to get eircom business adsl2 packages if you pay over €150a month . It is possible to get Smart business ADSL2 packages ONLY if you have a VAT number ...although bk is confused about that above and so am I
    Now, I ordered BT 7Mb broadband on Monday so I take it this is ADSL1. And I take it that means the interleaving issues (a.k.a. useless ping issues) don't apply to me. Am I right?

If 7 then interleaving is not too bad but if 7.6 it is indeed ADSL1 and the interleaving problem most certainly applies .
    I'm sorry, I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to understanding all of the above... :o

You got it mostly right :) Smart have just confirmed that they can vary Interleaving on certain packages at the request of the customer but this whole situation is developing quite fast .

Firstly, thank you for your reply! I'm glad to see I wasn't far off! :D
    It is possible to get eircom business adsl2 packages if you pay over €150 a month.
    Ain't gonna happen for obvious reasons...
    It is possible to get Smart business ADSL2 packages ONLY if you have a VAT number ...although bk is confused about that above and so am I
    I rang them before ordering with BT (that was on Monday - 3 days ago) and they told me SMART was not available on the Ashbourne Exchange. Should I have mentioned the Business Packages?
    If 7 then interleaving is not too bad but if 7.6 it is indeed ADSL1 and the interleaving problem most certainly applies.
    Ah cr@p! :mad: It's 7.6Mb! :mad: Does that mean no gaming for me then? I knew it was too good to be true... :( :mad: :(

• Advertisement

If you are a gamer, especially a FPS gamer , then cancel it NOW before it is too late .

That is the notorious High Interleaf package that people were upgraded to last summer .This thread is designed to find out whether eircom learnt anything.

Smart just confirmed they can vary Interleaf on all packages whether LLU or Not .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

LLU 24Mbps for €24 is the only package with Smart where you NEED a VAt number. No others, i.e. you can get the ADSL2+ service (For example 24Mbps @ €49 + vat + line rental) nationwide without a VAt number.

Yes, we can alter interleave settings but this may reduce speeds (but improve pings) - it's physics, not us :D

So any gamer can get ADSL2+ 12mbits for €80 a month and 24mbits for €85 a month in a bundle with line rental and vat ...uncapped . Thats on the 300 odd exchanges ( like Ashbourne) where eircom offers ADSL2+ but where Smart has no gear .

Where Smart does have gear it costs €55 a month for the same package ....but you must prove you are a business by furbishing a VAT number .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

So any gamer can get ADSL2+ 12mbits for €80 a month and 24mbits for €85 a month in a bundle with line rental and vat ...uncapped . Thats on the 300 odd exchanges ( like Ashbourne) where eircom offers ADSL2+ but where Smart has no gear .

Where Smart does have gear it costs €55 a month for the same package ....but you must prove you are a business by furbishing a VAT number .

Correct. You put it so much better than I could - fancy swapping jobs? :D

Naturally AND BEING 100% open and honest - max speeds will depend on line quality - we will match speed to product actually offered naturally.

If you are a gamer, especially a FPS gamer , then cancel it NOW before it is too late .

That is the notorious High Interleaf package that people were upgraded to last summer .This thread is designed to find out whether eircom learnt anything.

Smart just confirmed they can vary Interleaf on all packages whether LLU or Not .
    Rang Smart, they offer nothing on the Ashbourne Exchange apart from reselling Eircom's broadband. Two options: 3Mb and 7Mb - same contention ratio (48:1), just a bit cheaper.

I can't cancel now and delay getting back online at home... The GF would kill me and I don't even know what to get anyway!

What is my best option to get a decent ping when neither UPC, Smart nor SMART are available? :(

So any gamer can get ADSL2+ 12mbits for €80 a month and 24mbits for €85 a month in a bundle with line rental and vat ...uncapped . Thats on the 300 odd exchanges ( like Ashbourne) where eircom offers ADSL2+ but where Smart has no gear.
    With who?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

crawler wrote: »
    LLU 24Mbps for €24 is the only package with Smart where you NEED a VAt number. No others, i.e. you can get the ADSL2+ service (For example 24Mbps @ €49 + vat + line rental) nationwide without a VAt number.

Yes, we can alter interleave settings but this may reduce speeds (but improve pings) - it's physics, not us :D

Where is the 24MB package listed for €24?

With who?

Smart as of today, but it sounds like their sales staff may not know yet.

lordlame wrote: »

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/business_broadband/more_details/Business_24Mb_for_%E2%82%AC24.aspx

But that is excluding line rental and VAT, so about €55 total and you must have a VAT number to qualify for it*

* Note this is the only Smart product you need a VAT number for, you don't need a VAT number for any other product.

• Advertisement

Rang SMART again. Definitely no 12Mb brodband in Ashbourne... Only 3Mb and 7Mb... Gutted is what I am!

Here I come with my cr@ppy BT broadband!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

lordlame wrote: »
    In the link just above your post... :rolleyes:

:P :D

bk wrote: »
    Smart as of today, but it sounds like their sales staff may not know yet.
    But how do you guys know and the Sales guys from the company itself don't?!?!?!

I can hardly call back and tell them "sorry, you're wrong"... Anybody here who works for them who could help me out with this? I'll take SMART over BT any day of the week but I need to do it now before BT activate me!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

After last summers 7.6mbit and 7mbit upgrade fiascos there is considerable interest in whether one can upgrade their way out of trouble this time instead of downgrading your way out of trouble to 3mbits :o

This all depends on how eircom set Interleaf on their new ADSL2 technology 12 and 24 mbit packages which are now being offered by Smart and Eircom but not BT Perlico Imagine Voda UTV Digiweb at time of writing .

These are business only packages for now . Eircom price @over €150 and Smart price around €100 but require a VAT number before they sign you up.

This thread is for line stats and pings . The list of exchanges from which these packages are available is in this post HERE but that is subject to slight changes as new small exchanges come on line . Some of those exchanges have Smart LLU as well which will probably have different pings .

The new ADSL 2 packages are 24/1mbit and 12/2mbit . Have eircom fixed the pings I wonder :)

After going from 6/1 to 12/2, the pings have not changed at all..

Still pinging 23ms to eircom and 24ms to boards.

Must ring Eircom and change to 24/1 and see if it makes a difference..

Were you on 7.6mbits then down to 7 when it came out in October and now up to 12/2 on request ?? 6 has me confuseled .

What are your general line stats and distance by the way ??

I can hardly call back and tell them "sorry, you're wrong"... Anybody here who works for them who could help me out with this? I'll take SMART over BT any day of the week but I need to do it now before BT activate me!!! :(

Post your question on the smart fourm here:
    http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

you are more likely to get help there.

According to crawlers spreadsheet here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60038896&postcount=37

the Ashbourne exchange is ADSL2+ enabled (Eircom bitstream, not LLU).

On the other hand you may not be on that exchange, you might be on a mini sub exchange, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Were you on 7.6mbits then down to 7 when it came out in October and now up to 12/2 on request ?? 6 has me confuseled .

What are your general line stats and distance by the way ??

business line.. not residential hence the old 6/1 package -> 12/1 DSL2 upgrade -> 12/2 recent package changes.
    Line stats wrote:
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 12282 2044
    SN Margin (dB) 14.60 12.90
    Line Attenuation (dB) 27.20 15.70
    CRC Errors 0 0

Probably about 1-1.5KM from exchange.

thanks Lynchie . Looks good .

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/business_broadband/more_details/Business_24Mb_for_%E2%82%AC24.aspx

But that is excluding line rental and VAT, so about €55 total and you must have a VAT number to qualify for it*

* Note this is the only Smart product you need a VAT number for, you don't need a VAT number for any other product.

Thanks, I was searching the whole site for 40 minutes not noticing it up in the top left corner! :D

• Advertisement

Post your question on the smart fourm here:
    http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

you are more likely to get help there.

According to crawlers spreadsheet here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60038896&postcount=37

the Ashbourne exchange is ADSL2+ enabled (Eircom bitstream, not LLU).

On the other hand you may not be on that exchange, you might be on a mini sub exchange, etc.
    Thanks BK! Finally got sorted last night! Rang at 19:00 and got an Agent who told me that I could indeed get 12Mb broadband in Ashbourne! :D

I couldn't order last night though so on the blower to them now!

Advertisement