Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ipod classic 120gb

• 29-04-2009 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Spotted ipod classic 120gb for sale in HMV at Stanstead Airport for £148.99
    at the weekend. Same model is €229 in HMV Dublin. Nice saving .. pity my flight was boarding!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

When it comes to buying and ipod, its best to get it in the states as there's a 100db volume limit on european ipods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    When it comes to buying and ipod, its best to get it in the states as there's a 100db volume limit on european ipods.

I know you were being sinecere, but most people don't care or notice, and the limit is there for a very good reason - your health.
    If you really wish to listen to louder volumes, there's a dozen work-arounds or limiter removers available.

There's a good few reasons to buy an iPod in the US - that is not one of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Depending on currency, the states is normally the best place to pick up an iPod, they normally the same price over there as here except with the currency symbol changed, so they are proberly $229 over there now, the guarantee is world wide as well. I haven't seen cheaper than GB£149 anywhere though, sounds a real bargain to me.

Btw, in regards to the volume level, never knew that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

If you're going through this weekend, will you pick one up for me, let me know, i'll give ya the money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Alter-Ego wrote: »

You can just download the american firmware!

and there you go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

i have a ipod classic 120 gb and the volume limiter isn't a issue and i was scared stiff that it would be.

ps-where can you download the firmware? you sure it exists?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    i have a ipod classic 120 gb and the volume limiter isn't a issue and i was scared stiff that it would be.

ps-where can you download the firmware? you sure it exists?

You could go that way about it or you could....

Enable hidden folders.
    In Windows Explorer,go to "Tools", "Folder Options". Then click on the tab called "View", and under "Hidden Files and Folders", click "Show Hidden Files and Folders".
    Navigate ("My Computer" to double-click on the icon of your attached iPod) to the hidden folder named "iPod_Control", and once there click on the folder "Device". Once there, copy the file named "_volumelocked" to a folder on your hard drive then delete it from the iPod.
    Eject your iPod. Then, restart your iPod. You can do this by holding down the center and menu button for at least 6 seconds.
    Once your iPod has rebooted, check and make sure that it worked. Simply go into "Settings", "Volume Limit". If it asks for a PIN, you did it WRONG. Retry the above procedure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

229€ here in Ireland is a ripoff, looking for one of these but will wait until somebody I know goes through Stanstead Airport

I just checked the 3 countries websites (half time in the soccer) and their prices are...

US - $249
    Ireland - €229
    UK - £175

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Was in heathrow today and its also £148.99 there too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

You could go that way about it or you could....

Enable hidden folders.
    In Windows Explorer,go to "Tools", "Folder Options". Then click on the tab called "View", and under "Hidden Files and Folders", click "Show Hidden Files and Folders".
    Navigate ("My Computer" to double-click on the icon of your attached iPod) to the hidden folder named "iPod_Control", and once there click on the folder "Device". Once there, copy the file named "_volumelocked" to a folder on your hard drive then delete it from the iPod.
    Eject your iPod. Then, restart your iPod. You can do this by holding down the center and menu button for at least 6 seconds.
    Once your iPod has rebooted, check and make sure that it worked. Simply go into "Settings", "Volume Limit". If it asks for a PIN, you did it WRONG. Retry the above procedure
    Tried this but theres no "_volumelocked" file in the folder. there is one called "_unlocked". Could this be the same file.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm afraid there's no removing the EU volume cap on iPod classics and 2G+ nanos. It is built into the firmware and nobody has been able to hack it. Apple put an end to all of that a couple of years ago.

For the most part, the volume cap isn't too big a problem with recently released music which tends have an overly compressed dynamic range (i.e. it's loud). But with music ripped from less-compressed older cds the volume may be too low.

For this reason, I would also recommend getting a U.S. iPod if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

Slightly OT, but how do you know if you have a US ipod?

I bought a 6th gen 80gb on ebay and I don't know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

recommend this if you have volume issues with CD's ripped @ 320kbs...
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18350

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

If you can get something like this you can bypass the volume limit as it doesn't effect the dock connector.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.17808

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

yknaa wrote: »
    Spotted ipod classic 120gb for sale in HMV at Stanstead Airport for £148.99
    at the weekend. Same model is €229 in HMV Dublin. Nice saving .. pity my flight was boarding!

I actually picked this up around three weeks ago. It's a bargain.
    It was also quite handy since I had a long wait for a flight; I had my laptop with me so I got it up and running straight away.

EDIT: I use both earphones with in-ear buds (cheap but good quality) and Philips headphones. I rarely have to push the volume past the 3/4 mark, so I don't find the volume limit a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

[Mod edit] Less of the language please [/mod edit Blade]

Umm, instead of flipping out at an innocuous volume limit, you could do a bit of research and remove it yourself. Thats what I did: http://gopod.free-go.net/

Umm, instead of flipping out at an innocuous volume limit, you could do a bit of research and remove it yourself. Thats what I did: http://gopod.free-go.net/

Unfortunately, none of the common programs work for the 6G iPod, I tried goPod, iPodVolumeBoost etc. Apparently crApple decided to encrypt the firmware on the latest iPods as they decided that making us jump through hoops to get decent volume wasn't amusing enough.

Hope they die in a fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Unfortunately, none of the common programs work for the 6G iPod, I tried goPod, iPodVolumeBoost etc. Apparently crApple decided to encrypt the firmware on the latest iPods as they decided that making us jump through hoops to get decent volume wasn't amusing enough.

Hope they die in a fire.

it's not as though they have a monopoly, why do you use apple equipment??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Why is it Apple's fault the EU banned anything over 100db and in fairness now, would you not go deaf listening to 100dB with IN EAR speakers.

And your headphones would crap out eventually.

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    it's not as though they have a monopoly, why do you use apple equipment??

There's a lot of things I like about Apple, I like the aesthetics of their product, I like the interface, I like the capacity of the iPod, and I had a 3rd-gen that served me well for over 5 years (AFAIR) until it finally kicked the bucket.

My only major gripe with the new iPod Classic is the volume limit.
    Why is it Apple's fault the EU banned anything over 100db and in fairness now, would you not go deaf listening to 100dB with IN EAR speakers.

If Apple are forced to follow totalitarian nanny state regulations if they want to do business in less free regimes, like the EU, that obviously puts Apple in a difficult position. But they followed them before, but they didn't go all out in making it absolutely impossible to revert back to normal settings like they have now.

My old 3rd-gen iPod followed the disgusting waste of tax payers' money's laws, but it was still simple enough to remove the limitations, and there were plenty of tools you could download that could do it.

They could have kept things the way they were, and I'd tolerate jumping through hoops for the Ministry of Love in Brussels just to get my sound, but I can't even do that anymore. And I don't remember anyone complaining about the ease with which the old restrictions could be removed.

Without getting into a big argument, I will simply say, for some things it is not loud enough. Not in that sweet spot where it's as loud as I want, but not too loud. Also, I sometimes use fairly big headphones around the house that my old iPod could drive fine, I would need to get an amp to drive them now at a reasonable problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

Believe it or not, some people like to listen to music using earphones which cost more than 3 euro. Larger earphones with larger, higher resistance coils in the cones will be quieter (though probably better quality) than the shítty in-ear buds which most people choose to use. It's pretty ridiculous that this legal block is in place, given this fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Sorry, but you're wrong, wrong wrong wrong.

A lot of people DO notice, and I'm one of them, the limit on the new iPod's in the EU are far too quiet because of those flipping pricks in Apple and in the EU-nothing-better-to-do-except-make-everywhere-into-a-nanny-state Department. (Some) music is meant to be listened to loud, and the impact is blunted by hearing it at quarter volume.

The limit is not there for good reason. I want to listen to my flipping music loud, and I'm not going to let some obese pencil pusher in Brussels to tell me that loud music is against the law.

As far as I'm concerned, CrApple sold me a worthless cripplePod that is useless without a €60 brick like headphone amp attached to it, with more wires and more potential for something to break.

And by saying it's there for a good reason you're condoning and encouraging this stupid police state crytofascist totalitarian nonsense that infringes my right to do whatever the hell I want with my flipping iPod.

Flip Apple up the ass for crippling their hardware and selling them without putting a big "BROKEN" sticker on the front of them, or warning people on their site that upon purchse, they will have taken a big creamy load up the ass from Steve Job's arrogant cock.

Settle down there, ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI, this is a family forum. I'll make sure big bad Mr.Jobs doesn't hurt you again.

Ruu wrote: »
    I'll make sure big bad Mr.Jobs doesn't hurt you again.

Ho Ho. Funny guy are we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭MarthaT

sedohre wrote: »

might be able to check by the serial number

sedohre wrote: »

Found this, can't attest to its veracity, but it does make sense, my iPod at least has the CE mark.
    it as a CE on the back of it [certificated european product] i thiunk it means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Fascism! Fascism! I see it lurking behind every corner!

Also, Blade, it was kind of pointless deleting the whole thing and then leaving Ruu's quote of the entire post.

Syferus wrote: »
    Fascism! Fascism! I see it lurking behind every corner!

Also, Blade, it was kind of pointless deleting the whole thing and then leaving Ruu's quote of the entire post.

Even better, he could have deleted the profanity but kept the meaning of the post and the information.

• Advertisement

Found this, can't attest to its veracity, but it does make sense, my iPod at least has the CE mark.

Yeah mine does too :(, but I still can't find anything conclusive. Its been discussed here but it still isn't clear. http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1302797

Thanks anyway

MarthaT wrote: »
    might be able to check by the serial number

No luck here either, but thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement