Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cao application

Options
  • 29-04-2009 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

hello

looking for some advice about applying throuugh the cao as i think as a mature student its too late.

Im 25 and was laid off in febuary and signed on but havent recieved anything as of yet from social welfare but if i apply now will i lose my entitlements as a mature student or will i get funding from the social welfare office if i get into a course.

Ive tried using all of the resource links and am not trying to be lazy here, just need a bit of help

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

stewie01 wrote: »
    hello

looking for some advice about applying throuugh the cao as i think as a mature student its too late.

Im 25 and was laid off in febuary and signed on but havent recieved anything as of yet from social welfare but if i apply now will i lose my entitlements as a mature student or will i get funding from the social welfare office if i get into a course.

Ive tried using all of the resource links and am not trying to be lazy here, just need a bit of help

cheers

Think you may be too late for CAO however depending on which course you wish to do some colleges accept direct application. Not sure about social welfare you should call them directly, in realtion to grant most college degree courses are accepted for the mature student grant which is available from your local county council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Ericka

The CAO online closing date is May 1st. Paper applications are finished since feb afaik. That said, they tell you to find out when your colleges final date is. To my knowledge, Trinity, UCD, and DCU are finished.

I've applied as a mature to DIT, ITT, Dundalk and Athlone. Those are ok till the 1st of May. But that is only for courses that are not restricted. You really are cutting if fine for time tbph. I sent off that last of my back up documentation today (personal statement, CV, copies of certificates awarded etc.)

* = the likes of drama, anything that might require prior tests

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

Hi OP,

As the other posters have said, CAO Late Application Deadline is the 1st of May.

As for your social welfare entitlements, that's where it gets a bit complicated...

You say that you were laid off, was it statutory redundancy? If you're certain that it was, then once you can prove that you are entitled to a social welfare payment, you should qualify for the Back To Education Allowance, which is paid by the Dept of Family & Social Affairs while you attend college (provided you do not already have a 3rd level qualification). If you qualify for the BTEA, you won't lose any other benefits (rent allowance etc) should you return to full time education.

If it is not statutory redundancy, then you have to be in receipt of a social welfare payment for 12 consecutive months prior to starting your course before you are entitled to the BTEA, or 9 months if you can acquire a written recommendation from a social welfare Jobs Facilitator, recommending that you study a particular course.

If you're unsure, I would ask at your local social welfare office, and there's also some useful info here: http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/btea/

Bob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭stewie01

thanks for the help. much appreciated.

just one question would it be possible for me to apply for a course now through the cao, get a place on the course, and then apply for mature student finance aid and come off the JSB??? or which aid would be better to be on???

thanks.

stewie01 wrote: »
    thanks for the help. much appreciated.

just one question would it be possible for me to apply for a course now through the cao, get a place on the course, and then apply for mature student finance aid and come off the JSB??? or which aid would be better to be on???

thanks.

Hi,

Well, if you qualify for the BTEA and the Higher Education Grant, there's nothing to stop you from claiming both at the same time.

Bear in mind, that if you are not eligible for the BTEA and you return to full time education, you will lose your JSB and any associated benefits (rent allowance etc), so you want to be doubly sure that you are eligible.

Bob

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭stewie01

thanks again bob,

and if i did lose the JSB how much would the higher education grant be???(roughly if you know)

Also if i cant find out all the information required(which is likely) about wether it was statutory reduncency or not by tomorrow, would it be possible to apply direct to the college in september.

(my social welfare office doesnt answer the phones and the ques are 4-5 hours long or could i ring a head office?)

Hiya,

My best advice is to apply now anyway - the college won't accept a direct application in September - you can always defer your acceptance of a place if it comes to it.

Loads of info on the grant and what it's worth here: http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/hegs/

Get your application in first, worry about the rest later!

Bob

Advertisement