Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yes, another WHAT Lens thread (begging your indulgence..)

• 29-04-2009 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a Nikon D80 with an 18-135 (i think, at least its 135) zoom. I have a few quid coming in soon and considering buying another zoom (hoping for a 300) but I'm looking for advice on what to buy ? Budget is no more than €400 (including any duties) and it will be used to take safari pictures and after that, the usual, plus some sports shots (kids hurling, football, rugby (hobby not pro)).

Can anyone please help me out with what is best in my budget and maybe where to buy (web preferably)..

Many Thanks

FBP.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've no idea about Nikon lenses, and I'll ignore your budget info, but you really want something with reach.

Some lens up to 300mm (Sigma even??), and for evening/night sport you will need an f/2.8 lens.

So, back to you, to search for lenses within your price range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Paulw wrote: »
    I've no idea about Nikon lenses, and I'll ignore your budget info, but you really want something with reach.

Some lens up to 300mm (Sigma even??), and for evening/night sport you will need an f/2.8 lens.

So, back to you, to search for lenses within your price range.

Hi, many thanks for the reply. Yes, sadly the budget is limited and I really dont have enough € for a 300mm f2.8 :( was kinda hoping to get away with a f3.5 + (lowest I can find in-budget, f2.8's are all plussing the 1000 euro mark....)

But thanks for the help.

FBP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

fatboypee wrote: »
    I really dont have enough € for a 300mm f2.8 :(

I don't mean a prime 300mm f/2.8, but something like the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 lens.

Ok, probably still well outside your budget, but it gives you something to aim for, and save for.

Slower lenses (f/4-f/5.6) will work fine in good light, but for floodlights or evening photos (sport, wildlife, etc), you will need to push for an f/2.8 lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Keep an eye on adverts.ie for either the Nikon or Sigma 70-300mm, if Sigma make sure it's the APO model which has a red ring around the lens near the front and if a Nikon try to aim for the VR model though with your budget you might be able to stretch to a new Nikon 70-300mm VR.

You will need serious bucks if you're going to be able to photograph action (i.e. fast moving) sports under floodlights, my advice would be to leave that to the pros who can afford to pay for the expensive glass required.

I bought a 2nd hand Nikon 70-300mm (non VR) off adverts.ie last week for €70

coylemj wrote: »
    Keep an eye on adverts.ie for either the Nikon or Sigma 70-300mm, if Sigma make sure it's the APO model which has a red ring around the lens near the front and if a Nikon try to aim for the VR model though with your budget you might be able to stretch to a new Nikon 70-300mm VR.

You will need serious bucks if you're going to be able to photograph action (i.e. fast moving) sports under floodlights, my advice would be to leave that to the pros who can afford to pay for the expensive glass required.

I bought a 2nd hand Nikon 70-300mm (non VR) off adverts.ie last week for €70

Thanks ! I was thinking of this lens, VR or not VR :), potentially tho, even the 18-200VR (just about there for that) might do what I need too....

Thanks for all posts, much appreciated.

FBP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

The Nikon 70-300VR is a brilliant lens, probably the best in its class. There is one for sale on adverts for 300€.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

fatboypee wrote: »
    Thanks ! I was thinking of this lens, VR or not VR :), potentially tho, even the 18-200VR (just about there for that) might do what I need too....

Thanks for all posts, much appreciated.

FBP.

If you buy the 18-200 then you'll have a huge overlap between your two lens and you'll only be achieving a 50% uplift on maximum zoom (from 135 to 200) so you're much better off looking at the 70-300 which will give you an overall zoom factor of almost 17x (300/18).

Many thanks to all who posted.

Consensus seems to be the 70-300 then. I looked on Amazon and get a non-VR one of these for £115, is VR worth the extra (alot)? (some blurb i read said that this gives potential for +4 times shutter speed or something...)

Thanks

FBP.

Advertisement