Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCB with Alarm

Options
  • 29-04-2009 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Help!

I have a septic tank on my fuse board and from time to time it trips due to a fault that we are working to resolve (thought we had).

The electrics in the tank seem to short, causing the fuse the trip. We know this by either a) checking the fuse board or b) seeing the tank overflow onto the lawn.... not desireable!!!

Is there such a thing as an MCB that when tripped sounds an alarm indicating the fault and alerting you to do something about it. I called my local electical shop and they are not aware of such a product.

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Domer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

Who is the manufacturer of the you MCB Board

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You could use Mains relay to trip a 12v Siren with a 12v PSU & battery back up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Connect a cable from the outgoing side of the MCB that trips to the coil of a normally closed relay. This means that when the power is lost the relay contact will close. This switching action can be used to activate a doorbell (or perhaps the doorbell that you currently use for the front door).

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

2011 wrote: »
    Connect a cable from the outgoing side of the MCB that trips to the coil of a normally closed relay. This means that when the power is lost the relay contact will close. This switching action can be used to activate a doorbell (or perhaps the doorbell that you currently use for the front door).

Tink you mean normally open relay/contactor 2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

it would be n/c contact .i would connect it to an indicator or buzzer .relay would need to be continuous rated( ?).an mcb with an auxiliary contact would be simplest (if available).some tanks have a high level alarm.you might even be able to go wireless

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Tink you mean normally open relay/contactor 2011
    No.
    A normally open relay would make the bell ring when power is present. I want the opposite to happen.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

2011 is correct. NO / NC refers to the state the relay is in when the coil is not energised
    Here is a basic diagram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

it could be an rcd/rcbo for treatment system but would be same relay.wireless high level alarm would cover mechanical failure and electrical failure via float switch if available

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Thanks for all the assistance. Think I need to pay a visit to my local electrical shop.

Thanks again,
    Domer

Advertisement