Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Concrete floor and blocks on 1st floor

• 29-04-2009 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hello,
    I will be installing my concrete floors on first floornext week.

What are your views on using block walls instead of timber partitions upstairs?

Could this be harder to heat?
    Would I have to put a slab on teh block wall or could I plaster striaght onto it?

Cheers,
    Eddie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭rebellad

Nearing the end of our build in the next few weeks. We have concrete floors upstairs and used block partitions with no problems. The only issue we had was that the walls had to be chased for electrics up stairs as well. We didn't put any slabs on the wall plastered straight onto it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭murphyep

Thanks rebellad,

Can you place the walls anywhere upstairs or did you have to follow the walls downstairs?
    Did it work our cheaper then timber partitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Sparky78

murphyep wrote: »
    Thanks rebellad,

Can you place the walls anywhere upstairs or did you have to follow the walls downstairs?

You'd have to check with the floor company is it ok to put walls upstairs to make sure there not over loaded. They usually ask this before you order I think. Your own engineer will probably need the calculations from the floor company to sign off.

I personally think the best benefit from the block walls is the sound insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭rebellad

murphyep wrote: »
    Thanks rebellad,

Some of the walls followed downstairs and others not. To be honest we never looked into timber partitions. We were always going to go with block partitions so didn't even get a quote for the timber. As Sparky78 says you would want to clear using blocks with the engineer and the concrete floor crowd first as I think their is calculations to be done on what loading can be placed on the concrete floors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

if the loading from convention block walls are an issue, which u need to check, u have the option of using either hollow block 100mm or use some of the 'lite' blocks such as the ones made by the 'Mighty Q':)

Some people just dont like the lites so check them out: they are more expensive yes but much easier to work with.

Solid walls will improve both the sound and thermal performance of the rooms because the walls will retain heat and give it back more evenly than a TF wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭murphyep

Thanks for the replies folks..

Definitely going to go block upstairs..spoke with my engineer this morning and he recommended using the lite blocks for this.

Cheers,
    Eddie

Advertisement