Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a tiler

Options
  • 29-04-2009 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows the average price per square metre of a tiler, i got a quote of €1,100.00 (labour only) for tiling kitchen floor, utility room, bathroom and en-suite (62 sq metres in total) is this a good price???

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

We got a price when we were tiling of between 15euro and 20 euro a square metre to tile.....

We done it ourselves and saved ourselves €1500

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

malone123 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows the average price per square metre of a tiler, i got a quote of €1,100.00 (labour only) for tiling kitchen floor, utility room, bathroom and en-suite (62 sq metres in total) is this a good price???

Thanks!

A builder is currently quoting me €40/m2 for labour and materials (not tiles tho)

I'm still laughing at him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Borzoi wrote: »
    A builder is currently quoting me €40/m2 for labour and materials (not tiles tho)

I'm still laughing at him

holy moly. They must have superman as a tiller.

My mate who is a very good quality tiler charged around 25 up during the good times

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

malone123 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks!

Hi M. i have just worked this out at €17.75 per meter. This is a very good price I am guessing this is a ceramic and the floor is in good condition. ie the tiler does not need leveling compound and of course this is a cash price......

I am in bathrooms 12 years and I guarantee this is a very good price.

There is a lot of cuts to be done in these areas as well.

Finally if you are going to pay cheaper you would be better of doing it cause I doubt you'd get a good job for less

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DMCD25

dlambirl wrote: »
    We got a price when we were tiling of between 15euro and 20 euro a square metre to tile.....

We done it ourselves and saved ourselves €1500

Well put a picture up of it and we have a look. I can guarantee if yee did it on yer own then it wont be long tilll they fall down. Ive seen it all before. People trying to do there own tiling and time and time again they do not spread the adhesive properly resulting in the tiles coming down one by one or have not used the correct adhesive in the first place.
    Leave it to the experts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭enmac

DMCD25 wrote: »
    Well put a picture up of it and we have a look. I can guarantee if yee did it on yer own then it wont be long tilll they fall down. Ive seen it all before. People trying to do there own tiling and time and time again they do not spread the adhesive properly resulting in the tiles coming down one by one or have not used the correct adhesive in the first place.
    Leave it to the experts.

this is a DIY forum not an expert tilers forum

enmac wrote: »
    this is a DIY forum not an expert tilers forum

Yes but opinions were asked on a tiling price and he is right to comment. a job to cheap is usually a bad job. It takes time and effort to do a propper tiling job this is where the money is. additionally the type of tile is not mentioned and believe me if they start coming up in the kitchen the misses is going to kick off very quickly.

You ask any good tiler there rate and you will get nowhere near this. It is very cheap. I am assuming the op has checked the work.

While I might attempt a splashback or a small tiling area I never attempt a big area because to make a mistake is more costly then the orig job,

Just for the record: Someone asked how to wire a shower on the DIY forum last week and they were told to contact a sparks. Just because its DIY its not necessa good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 malone123

Hi All, many thanks for your replies, apologies i should have mentioned the type of tiles, they're porcelain in the kitchen and ceramic everywhere else, the tiler was recomended by the shop where i bought them, he came and measured up himself then called into the shop to see what i had chosen. I've never had to pay for a tiler before so i wasn't sure if the price was good but judging by the comments it seems to be!

Just for the record: Someone asked how to wire a shower on the DIY forum last week and they were told to contact a sparks. Just because its DIY its not necessa good.

I wouldn't consider wiring a shower a DIY job - in most cases it requires a completion cert through ETCI - a job for a sparks

Tiling is an accepted DIY job and I just find it a bit sad and bitter for a professional tiler to be criticising a person for doing their own tiling

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I wouldn't consider wiring a shower a DIY job - in most cases it requires a completion cert through ETCI - a job for a sparks

Tiling is an accepted DIY job and I just find it a bit sad and bitter for a professional tiler to be criticising a person for doing their own tiling

I would encourage people who are handy to try tiling, but as mentioned above starting with a small job is required,

I think what people might be trying to say is that if you want a professional job, call the professionals,

if you are happy to risk it, then by all means give it a go.

• Advertisement

I am not a tiler if I have offended you I do apologise.

its just a difference of opinion.

Not to worry job seems to be good

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DMCD25

Im not criticising anyone for trying to do their own tiling.
    Isnt it worth doing something properly the first time than taking the chance and messing up and having to pay alot more because if someone told me they tried to do the tiling themselves and they messed up well then the price I would quote them to repair it would be way more than the price for me to do it in the first place. Tiling is not as easy as people think. There is alot to consider before the first tile gets laid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

this has turned into a tricky one now.

I tiled my front hall. only around 3 meters. Made a ball of it. And I am a trades man (oblisly not a tiler).

I tiled my whole kitchen floor and by learning from my mistakes I made a perfect job of it. Took me 2 whole day:pac:

I would advise anyone to give it a bash if they have a love of DIY.

.I for one get great satisfaction in working on my own home . And being on my own free time, there is no push to get it done by 5pm..

but that's just me.

If one does not have the hands or Knowledge then maybe it should be left to a pro.

I am not a tiler if I have offended you I do apologise.

I never said you were - I was referring to the original post from DMCD25 so no offence taken
    Not to worry job seems to be good

what job ?

I never said you were - I was referring to the original post from DMCD25 so no offence taken

what job ?

You clearly have a good sense of humour I was not talking to you either i quoted another and if you dont know what job then your truly lost.

You clearly have a good sense of humour I was not talking to you either i quoted another and if you dont know what job then your truly lost.

you've quoted me in your last 3 posts !

please, please, re-read the thread before posting in future

you've quoted me in your last 3 posts !

please, please, re-read the thread before posting in future

That was actually a joke to show confusion ,my apologies, I followed the thread though it confusing thats all..... Happy days as I say

Advertisement