Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

26th of October, 26 miles, my 26th birthday

• 29-04-2009 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Well, as you may have figured out from the title, its my birthday on the day of the Dublin City Marathon, and so I thought it would be fitting to set myself a birthday challenge. And it will be a challenge!!

I have entered a few road races over the years (and I am deliberately saying entered rather than ran!) I have entered the womens mini marathon 3 times and last year did the 5 mile and 10 mile of the race series. Basically I would always start off well in training and in races but could never maintain running for the whole thing, maybe 75% running (and I am a competetive person so when I enter some thing I do try my hardest). I basically had resigned myself to the fact that ‘Im just not a runner’ and eventually last August gave up after really seeing no progress from the work I put in. I do exercise, I love to swim, and find it much easier so decided to concentrate on that instead. However even though I had decided that running wasn’t my thing, I still had something in the back of my head wanting me to be a runner, and when I realised the DCM was on my birthday, I decided I was gonna do it (somehow!)

Anyway, decided all this in Feb on a holiday in Australia, and went and bought some proper running clothes when there to motivate me and two days after returning home (still slightly jetlagged and feeling the march chill from the nice weather I had experienced days before) I braved it, and started running. I was quite shocked that I was actually able to run continuously for 25 minutes (prob the first time I have done that since I was a child!!). I had actually unintentionally got fit while I was away, through a lot of walking, hill walking and especially swimming which I think had a big impact. Anyway, that made me realise that I could do it. Did the Great Ireland run and jogged the whole thing, my time was 1:00:15, ever so slightly gutted but it was still progress for me. And anyway, my main goal had been to jog the whole thing, so was pleased with that. So since then, im still going anyway. Unfortunately, I haven’t made mountains of progress, as I got a cold the week after the GIR (my own fault, not wrapping up straight after it) and had a foot arch injury (caused by the wrong runners for me i think), so both those things have inhibited my progress, max I have run in any session is 5k, and still doing it at about 6min/km. Doing the mini marathon in June, my goal for that is to get in the running section for next year, ie sub 60 mins, but secretly I would like to do a little better than that.

I just want to progress with the running, the foot injury is frustrating me, have been to the physio and have got new runners and gait analysis, so hopefully it wont impact me any longer.

Anyway, thought keeping a running log might stop me giving up!

(apologies for how long this was, the words just kept pouring out!)

So far this week (after a week off to rest foot)
    Monday 5k =30 mins

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Shadyladee, all of the omens seem to be lined up correctly. How could you fail?!
    I understand that the women's MM is a very difficult race to achieve your target, because of the sheer masses of people. Probably a good idea to have another 10k lined up, just in case you can't make your goal, because of the numbers on the day. Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good luck, and welcome to the logs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

best of luck with it. just one thing to note - your doing 6min kms for 5 kms. if you want to run for longer try slowing down a bit. for example my GF can do about 3.5km at 6mins per km but if she slows to near 7mins per km can do 6 or so.

everybody here who does long runs will tell you the same. if you are going to try run 26 miles, slow down and get the miles and km's into your legs. as you get fitter and more comfortable with completing a distance you can then quicken it up a bit. also you can try throw in a few shorter faster runs.

also you did very well to do a full 10km if your only doing 5km in training. usually you da want to run a few km longer than your race distance a few times prior to the event.

hope this helps and fair play to you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Shadyladee

Thank you all for the encouragement! I welcome all advice too!

I am just back from a Jog and I took kennyb3's advice and tried to slower my pace (although any slower and i think I'd be walking!!) Basically I ran for 40 mins for roughly 6 k. so basically 6.6m /km. so thats a bit slower and it was very comfortable. the reason i only have an approx distance is that Im trying to run on grass to protect my foot and i just used map my run to approximate the laps of a field near me. not ideal, but the best i can do for mapping distance. However, i figure the most important thing at this stage is just to get myself running for longer at a time rather than worrying about the exact distance yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Shadyladee wrote: »
    i figure the most important thing at this stage is just to get myself running for longer at a time rather than worrying about the exact distance yet?
    Absolutely. And having a good time, when you go out running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Hi shadee, I have also made the decision to do dcm this year, it's exciting stuff isn't it, hope I remain this motivated, i find it hard to slow my pace, i always just run as well as i can and I know it's a mistake, I'm not gonna worry about it for the next 8 weeks though then it's hal higdon novice programme all the way, best of luck with training and see ya at the finish line,

Tried a short fast-ish run Fri 3km= 16mins
    Sat 30 min swim
    slow paced run Sun 6k=41mins

Tuesday- 5k= 32 mins

Im not following a proper training schedule at the mo, intend to start the hal higdon 18 weeks before DCM so at the mo just trying to get myself running four days a week and upping mileage so when i start the program im at a basic level. so i figure at the mo, to try to run 4 days a week, 2 slow short (5k), one faster (maybe 3k) and then on weekends upping my long slow run each week (only at 6k at mo). one or two days of swimming thrown in as well. is this plan ok?

I also want to be running a bit more before the June 10k, but i have read that i shouldnt up my distance more than 10% in a week, so I'm just wondering with less than four weeks to go to the 10k, should i increase more than 10% each week on my weekend run, to reach 10k before MM or should i just increase slower and not worry about meeting the 10k before the MM?

Thursday 5k 30 mins, first half tough with the winds especially as it was uphill for a bit, second half much easier with the wind throwing me along, although it nearly knocked little me off the path!

Saturday 7.6k = 51 minutes
    Sunday, didnt plan to go for a jog today, but after bringing my sisters very energetic puppy for a walk earlier, wanted to get out again so did 5k later, for about 30 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

good running and good consistency. keep it up

Thanks kennyb3, I appreciate the encouragement!

bit of a disrupted week, did two 5 k runs, two 40 min swims and a slow 8.7 k run today

I was away for the last few days for work and am heading away again tomo so unfortunately today was the only day this wk i could run so decided to get a longish run in-10k -approx 60 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great to get the 10km in already. As you know it is the first 'long run' in HH's novice marathon training, so you are ready to begin :D
    I have been having trouble keeping my training runs slow as well, I have been tending to just run till I'm wrecked! I slowed down for the first time tonight and I can feel it in my knees! I think it will be crucial to keep the training runs slow to stave away injuries as you up the mileage through the weeks.

hi Menoscemo, yeah my 10k run was actually meant to be much slower, and the first half was, but I got carried away and felt like seeing if i could do it in the hour, hopefully that means i may get near my target time for the WMM. but in future i will make sure my long runs are slow:)

You should be well under the hour for the WMM, especially with how close you got to it in the GIR. Good luck with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

hey shadyladee you could be my twin! (but actually i'm a year and half older :) )

i too loved swimming but didn't consider myself a "runner" as such and then in Dec 07 did the Alone 10km in the Phoenix Park. Got round in 1 hour 8 secs. Damn those 8 seconds!

Anyway, stepped it up from a one-jog-on-a-Saturday-morning thing over the next few months, did the Connemarathon Half in April 08, and did the WWW in June 08 in 55 mins 6 seconds. I have absolutely no doubt you'll get round in less than an hour :)

Half-marathon No 4 is next weekend and though I'm living in Canada now I'm coming home in October to do the Dublin City Marathon: my first marathon. see you then and keep up the good work! we should compare notes!

Hi RainbowKirby and goofygirl,

thanks for the support! hopefully you are both right and il get the time, sure its only 16 seconds i need to knock off :) although goofygirl i dont think il manage to reach the 55 minutes you did, but its great to hear how much someone can improve in a short space of time, i might aim for 55 mins next year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

ah i'm sure you'll surprise yourself with how well you'll do, amazing the benefits that training can reap :)

• Advertisement

Have done nothing since thurs and spent around 15 hours in a car between friday and sunday (did a pilgrimmage in the car from the ferry at hollyhead to edinburgh for the match:)) so my legs were surprsingly very stiff from doing so much sitting! so was great to get out today but my legs felt like id been running all weekend! just did a gentle 30 min jog on grass this evening.

Did an hour and half walk to and from the rds to collect the race number today. This evening did a half hour gentle jog. Even though it was the evening, it was roasting, I'm dreading Monday if its that hot. I think Im the only person in Ireland hoping that the weather isnt warm on Monday;)

To be perfectly honest, if it dropped a few degrees for Monday I'd be very happy. I'm really not used to this whole heat thing at all. :pac:

Did a 30 min jog yesterday and 30 min swim today.

Really disappointed with yesterday. Did everything I could do in the morning to hydrate myself but just couldnt cope with the heat. The amount of walkers up the front at the beginning frustrated me, like not even half a kilometre into the race and right behind the runners, there were people walking, I have no idea what possessed them to do that, but anyway, i think I expended a bit of energy trying to dodge them. I reached 5 k at about 28/29 mins though but slowed down up to 8k marker, and it was 50 mins on my watch. I knew that there was no way that I could do 2km in 10 mins, so I think I kind up gave up, the heat was definitely a prob for me, but i actually think my negative thinking was the final nail in the coffin, I think i would be best to run with someone in future to keep my mind from psyching myself out. I did run the whole think even though at 8k onwards I was tempted to walk. think my time was 1.03 or 1.04. Really disappointed and a bit embarassed since I had put the work in. Not sure if i will ever do the MM again, its just always a hot day, and a bit soul destroying for me when i dont do as well as I would like. I have so much respect for anyone that did the Cork Marathon yesterday, puts my complaining about the heat in perspective.

Anyway, im disappointed but I think I can do better, so the next race is the 5 mile in July, prob aim for around 47 mins in that.

Official time pretty much as expected 1:03:57:(

Did a 30 min jog this morning

Friday 5th June- 3km jog 16mins
    Sat 6th June- 12km-battled rain and cold, altho i actually like that weather when jogging!

Monday 8th June- 30 min jog approx 5k
    Wed 10th June, 30 min jog approx 5k
    Sat 13th June 14 km-

i know I have made bigger than 10% increases each week, more to do with the loops im choosing, wont continue doing that tho and will stick to the trianing plan in future.

16th June 4km-got up at 6 to jog, dont think that time of day suits me to exercise, Im normally up that early anyway, but I apparently dont have any energy at that time.
    17th June 4km-evening, much better than the day before

20th June 8 km-50mins.

Hal higdon training starts today. I know that I havent been good at keeping up the midweek runs, so Im gonna make sure I stick to the plan from now on and ensure I get 3 mid week runs, I also prob should start measuring and reporting in miles.

Hopefully Il manage this training...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hi Shadyladee best of luck with the training. Im starting Hal Higdon Novice 1 myself tomorrow. Its exciting and scary all at the same time.

Thanks Bally8, Best of luck to you too! It does feel good to start the training, keeps the end goal very real in the mind!

• Advertisement

I have been terrible at updating this log, fortunately have still been running though!

Week1-
    Day1-3.06 miles-30.12

Day2-5.0 miles-52:53

Day3-3.02 miles-32.14

Day4-8.02 miles

Week 2
    Day1-2.80 miles 28.03

Day2-5.01 miles 52.20

Day3-3 miles (forgot watch, around the usual 30 min mark)

Day 4-9.3 miles- 1:37.30

Week 3

Day 1-4.58 miles -48.12

went away later this week for 6 days and couldnt run but swam alot everyday so i think it made up for it

Week 4
    Day 1-3.05 miles- 31.14 mins
    Day 2-4.96 miles-48.02

Today did the 5 miler of the race series. Pretty pleased with a chip time of 47.42. However, I recorded the route as a little longer than 5 miles and so my watch time said 47.13 and considering I didnt cut either of those 2 corners on the last mile like most people I think Im justified in going with my own time! :)

Advertisement