Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-time Study and Job seekers Allowance

Options
  • 29-04-2009 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

Hi Guy's I've just been laid off recently and I'm thinking about returning to college part-time while looking for work. I was wondering if i'm still entitled to job seekers allowance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭aloevera

Hi OP,

well as far as i know your not legally entitled to, but ..... my friend is doing a masters which apparently is classed as part time as its only 3 hours a day 3 days a week and apparently she is getting job seekers allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

To the OP,
    Did you manage to enroll for your part time course & still get Job seekers allowance?
    I am in the same boat & am not yet entitled to BTEA so I was thinking of studying part time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭jos22

maceocc2 wrote: »
    Hi Guy's I've just been laid off recently and I'm thinking about returning to college part-time while looking for work. I was wondering if i'm still entitled to job seekers allowance?

if your over 21 you can apply for back to education allowance.
    which will pay you welfare to get retrained. this payment would replace your job seekers allowence.

in some case you can return to part time study and keep you job seekers allowance provide that your still available and looking for full time work.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭psycjay

Sorry to drag up and old thread but I cannot find an answer to these questions regarding part time study (not FAS) and job seekers allowance.

1. Is there a max number of hours the course can be? (in the uk it is 16 per week)

2. Do you still receive your full job seekers allowance or is it reduced?

3. Does the course have to meet any particular criteria?

Thanks,

Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭jos22

psycjay wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up and old thread but I cannot find an answer to these questions regarding part time study (not FAS) and job seekers allowance.

1. Is there a max number of hours the course can be? (in the uk it is 16 per week)

2. Do you still receive your full job seekers allowance or is it reduced?

3. Does the course have to meet any particular criteria?

Thanks,

Jay

you find everything needed here
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/pages/bte_pteo.aspx

• Advertisement
Advertisement