Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What camera/printer could achieve high quality

• 29-04-2009 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hi all,
    This is an unusual post first off. My sister bought a picture taken in a pub from where our grandmother lived. It was printed on A3 high quality photo paper. I had never seen such high definition in a picture before. The detail and the sharpness was immense. The picture was taken of the bar and you could easily read what was written on the label of beer bottles or dates on calendar etc etc. You get the picture...pardon the pun ;)

Anyway, I began to think what kind of a camera would be needed for this quality picture? How much you would need to spend? And also has anyone got experience printing on an A3 photo printer?

I understand these are very vague questions to ask but I thought it might be worth a shot!
    Thanks for the help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

That picture sounds awesome, you should post it here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

peustace wrote: »
    I had never seen such high definition in a picture before. The detail and the sharpness was immense. ...
    Anyway, I began to think what kind of a camera would be needed for this quality picture? How much you would need to spend? And also has anyone got experience printing on an A3 photo printer?

I understand these are very vague questions to ask but I thought it might be worth a shot!
    Thanks for the help

When was the photo taken. It is possible that it was made with film rather than digital.

Most slrs will give very sharp detail in indoor shots like you describe.

Perhaps some more information could help to find the sort of camera that would best suit. A Canon Digital Rebel, which I enjoy using, can be bought with an IS kit lens.

This might also be a good choice:

http://www.dabs.com/products/canon-eos-450d-inc-ef-s-18-55mm-4YX5.html?fb=330

Other posters may have links to better bargain prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

The detail and the sharpness was immense
    ....ah, that'd be the Olympus E510 !!! muhahahaha ! (sorry, couldn't resist) :D

I suppose it could have been from a Digital SLR camera (say from 6MP up) or from a film camera. Most entry level DSLR's are 10MP (now-a-days) so it could be any current DSLR. Its unlikley to have been from a Digital point-n-shoot camera (but not impossible). Current entry level DSLR's are around the €300 to 500 mark (depending where you look).
    And also has anyone got experience printing on an A3 photo printer?
    ......There's a USER here (on boards.ie) called 'stcstc' and he would be the printer expert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

:)Well I agree that it could be pretty much any of the newer dslr's, as long as the lighting is good and they can have a low apereture then there would be a fair bit of detail. Printing wise steve is your man, he has huge quality prints and knows exactly which profiles to use for everything. I'd say his head is wrecked enough with me asking him questions but I'll leave him alone for a while so you can ask if ya like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

what printer to use is a little bit of a simple question,

the best ones on the market (inkjet ones) would be the epson 2880 * canon 9500

but there is a lot more to it, picking the right paper, using colour management correctly etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭peustace

Guys, thanks for all that. Very informative. I'm a pure amateur to this stuff, where should I start? Websites/books for guidance? I started to have a look at a few cameras but would have primitive knowledge on it.

Thanks for all the helping hands!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

This an interesting detective case! A few details will narrow things down:

Was the picture taken recently? If so any recent DSLR could have taken it, as others have said.

However, if the light was low, a reasonably good lens or a tripod or flash or fast film would be needed. If it's colour, and not grainy, this also suggests digital.

Does the pub look dark and lit by indoor lighting? (Implies use of fast lens.)

Is the picture sharp from foreground to background, or just in the part in focus with the rest out of focus/blurred? (The latter also implies use of fast lens.)

Was flash used - do objects close to the camera look brighter than those further away, are people's faces white with harsh shadows? (Good lens not so necessary in this case.)

Are any people blurred like they moved quickly? (Implying use of tripod and loger exposure - again, good lens not so necessary.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The shot could have been taken with a DSLR, 35mm film or medium format. Any of them used properly could deliver the goods.

Advertisement