Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 40d or 50d?

• 29-04-2009 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hey all, i'm upgrading my Canon 400d to either a 40d or 50d and after some reading it seems the 50d isn't THAT much better than the 40d.

I can get a 50d Kit with 17/85 4.0-6.5 IS USM for €1109.95 from simplyelectronics.net which seems like a great deal especially with free shipping.....

On the other hand, i could save about 200 with the same 40Kit.

Anyone know if the 50 is worth it?

Read through the dpreview.com review already....

I'd happily take a used 40d with low actuations but they are sparse on the ground these days.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

50D.

If you use search there was a very good thread on this same question, I went head to head with someone and won. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

40D, really check for the other post the question is the same and i guess in the end you still won't know you should buy (40D!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Gr1f - I have sent you a PM - please read this before ordering anything from the company you were referring too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Difference is marginal. I had teh decision to make in January and went 40D. There were two key factors for me: slightly higher fps on the 40D and better battery life for that camera over the newer 50D. YOu may prefer the higher resolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

i went from 350d to 50d. the main thing for me was the good screen on the 50d for reviewing images.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd suggest buying from warehouseexpress.com

another +1 for warehouseexpress, fast delivery....good customer service and good prices. Personally I opted for the 50d over the 40d just for the faster fps and focusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Calina wrote: »
    slightly higher fps on the 40D

And from anoble66:
    Personally I opted for the 50d over the 40d just for the faster fps

That's what makes this place the first port of call for definitive facts :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

40D 6.5 fps
    50D 6.3 fps

I think I win...don't I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Valentia wrote: »
    That's what makes this place the first port of call for definitive facts :pac::D
    If it's facts you want! :)

50D:
    Fast 6fps continuous shooting up to 90 JPEG shots in a single burst
    40D:
    6.5 frames per second (fps) with continuous shooting up to 75 shots in a single burst

[Edit]I took my specs from warehouse express but Calinas are what's on the official Canon site :)[/Edit]

• Advertisement

I am going with Gamblers stats :o:)

Anyway, whatever you choose I am sure you will be delighted.....did I dig myself out of that hole yet...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

50D.

If you use search there was a very good thread on this same question, I went head to head with someone and won. :p

Link to this?
    I'd like to see why the 50D won,As the 40D is better and cheaper...50D has video,that is all

@OP

I'd go for the 40D cheaper and is basically the same thing if not better due to the extra .3 fps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The 40d has a pentaprism, the 50d a pentamirror. Why downgrade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I went from a 400D to a 50D. It was a toss up between the 40D & the 50D, both great cameras. No regrets so far.
    Some good tips given here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

landyman wrote: »
    The 40d has a pentaprism, the 50d a pentamirror. Why downgrade?
    Is there that much of a difference between the prism and the mirror? (Also considering getting a 40D atm :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Link to this?
    I'd like to see why the 50D won,As the 40D is better and cheaper...50D has video,that is all

@OP

I'd go for the 40D cheaper and is basically the same thing if not better due to the extra .3 fps :)

the 50d doesn't have video.

Advertisement