Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermot Ahern WTF?

Options
  • 29-04-2009 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Context is why Limerick people are slightly concerned that they, their family members or extended family members will be casually shot in the face on testifying against Limerick's tracksuit elite a month/year/decade later.

- A valid fear given that the Gardai in Limerick have resorted to protecting themselves by way of hiding in their Stations and handing out speed fines to the taxpayer in order for them to pay for Playstation 3 games etc.
    Unfortunately people who are targeted for witness protection, whatever it is in the Irish psyche, they don’t want to leave their home, they don’t want to take up their life and go to the UK or Australia and start up a new life
    Link

Yes Dermot - Limerick people are odd that way; thanks for showing such a keen and thorough understanding of the situation. I too am confused as to way people don't want to leave their, friends, family, job, relatives, native Country etc. etc. etc. to go live in Australia so that you can lock up some 19 year old that shot someone on somebody else's orders and release him "rehabilitated" 7.23 years later.

It is very comforting to people to know that if I did they did ever testify they would more than likely open the Sydney Gazette or New York Times and read that their cousin, nephew whoever was executed in their place.

Dermot Ahern - In my opinion you're just not fit for public Office.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

All he was saying was that because the witness protection programme isn't working here, due to the fact that people aren't willing to uproot themselves, they have to introduce other measures so that this isn't nessecary. I don't see an issue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Raiser wrote: »
    Context is why Limerick people are slightly concerned that they, their family members or extended family members will be casually shot in the face on testifying against Limerick's tracksuit elite a month/year/decade later.

- A valid fear given that the Gardai in Limerick have resorted to protecting themselves by way of hiding in their Stations and handing out speed fines to the taxpayer in order for them to pay for Playstation 3 games etc.

Link

Yes Dermot - Limerick people are odd that way; thanks for showing such a keen and thorough understanding of the situation. I too am confused as to way people don't want to leave their, friends, family, job, relatives, native Country etc. etc. etc. to go live in Australia so that you can lock up some 19 year old that shot someone on somebody else's orders and release him "rehabilitated" 7.23 years later.

It is very comforting to people to know that if I did they did ever testify they would more than likely open the Sydney Gazette or New York Times and read that their cousin, nephew whoever was executed in their place.

Dermot Ahern - In my opinion you're just not fit for public Office.

/pats OP on the back

Congrats you have just had a brain fart

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

TheNog wrote: »
    /pats OP on the back

Thanks for your eloquent response - I know you by reputation and I know that the sarcastic comment regarding the Gardai may not have sat well with you given your own choice of profession etc.

- Regardless of your biased opinions and hurt sensibilities though, the public perception around Limerick is that the Gardaí have chosen a certain path in the face of an apparent issue that is destroying a whole City.

To use a boxing analogy; they have never stepped in the ring for this fight, they didn't even bother to turn up at the venue on the night and it looks like they never bothered putting in the basic training sessions..... They're just lining up for their share of fight purse every month.......

- Furthermore, this bigger issue should not take from the fact that the basic policing of the streets of Limerick is non-existent; people are getting battered, robbed, threatened and stabbed - with zero response from the people paid to keep our streets safe.

And no; standing under a flyover trying to empty peoples pockets in the name of speeding etc. is not a valid response.

Anyway - back on topic, I see that as the Country is brought to its knees Dermot Ahern is wasting time, money and his own considerable intellectual resources brining in laws making it illegal to criticise peoples imaginary friend.

Link

FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Whatever way Dermot Ahern dresses this up. Its a failure of the judicial system and society when these brutes are able to terrorise a city and evade justice when the dogs in the street know who they are and what they are up to.

And for Ahern to think the answer is to expect good people to move country on the witness protection program just to put some low ranked low life wannabe gangster to jail for a few years. While the gang leaders remain untouchable.

What use is the law if it can't deal with these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

Don't worry, its merely "aspirational"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

gerry28 wrote: »
    Whatever way Dermot Ahern dresses this up. Its a failure of the judicial system and society when these brutes are able to terrorise a city and evade justice when the dogs in the street know who they are and what they are up to.

And for Ahern to think the answer is to expect good people to move country on the witness protection program just to put some low ranked low life wannabe gangster to jail for a few years. While the gang leaders remain untouchable.

What use is the law if it can't deal with these people.

plus on another thread here on boards seem to suggest that a fellow minister gave a gang leader a recomendation which got him 3 years off his sentance would suggest that the gardai are better off with threir play stations than trying to convict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭briktop

TheNog wrote: »
    /pats OP on the back

nice modding there Mr Jackass

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Whatever about the rationale for this thread, full marks to the OP for the title!

Advertisement