Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rob Zombie's H2

• 29-04-2009 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭

So, as any of the Horror regulars know, Rob Zombie has embarked on a sequel to his Halloween remake. Personally I am quite disappointed about this but mainly because the workprint version of his original was so good but this sequel will be tied to the theatrical version.

Storywise it seems Zombie once again has a film of two halves, first half the same as the original sequel, same night setting, some hospital locations. Then we move onto a film principally about Laurie according to Zombie.

Anyways, we can all find out in August but for now, what does everyone think? If this sequel was inevitable are you pleased Zombie has the job? Happy to see a new direction from the original sequel? Just as pi**ed off as me that it appears the mask has been reduced to very little screen time and it is now butchered?

http://www.halloweenmovies.com/ - For all your H2 update needs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I LOVED THE first remake he did. In fact I think it is the best horror remake there is, in a world where remakes are uasually crappy. So i am happy he is doing the 2nd one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Halloween is one of the better remakes there has been.Not a patch on the original but enjoyable nonetheless.I havnt seen the workprint but have heard good things.A sequel was always going to happen so I guess if anyone is going to do it then Zombie is the right choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

It is a plus that zombie is back on board by all means, I do like him as a director and think it will be interesting to see him continue his vision of where the Halloween series can go. The trailer unnerves me somewhat though with the whole mother angle, bit too Friday The 13th for my liking. Also of course there is the fear that this will get studio tampering akin to the original, guess I'll have to scower the net for a workprint of this too!

@nedtheshed: Ya gotta see the workprint, incredible difference.

yes I thought that too about friday 13 th when I saw the mother angle. And the fri 13th remake did not impress me very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

I LOVED THE first remake he did. In fact I think it is the best horror remake there is, in a world where remakes are uasually crappy. So i am happy he is doing the 2nd one.

No way, thats either Dawn of the Dead, TCM or House on Haunted Hill! :)

• Advertisement

Kernel wrote: »
    No way, thats either Dawn of the Dead, TCM or House on Haunted Hill! :)

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

;)

with all of those XXX of the dead movies I have kinda lost track of them. they all sound the same.

DOTD remake was a good film, but not at all a good remake. Same to a lesser extent for TCM. Basically they were both harmless horror films but when they use the name of such greats they are required to carry a little more dignity!

House On Haunted Hill remake I actually love until the craptacular black smokey sneeze of CGI showed up at the end!

More on H2, only just noticed Margot Kidder is appearing in it! Anyone else love how Zombie recruits the lost and forgotten names to appear in his films? Slightly gimmicky but pretty cool on his part too "Here guys, you haven't worked in 20 years, have a pay cheque!" :D

niallon wrote: »

More on H2, only just noticed Margot Kidder is appearing in it! Anyone else love how Zombie recruits the lost and forgotten names to appear in his films? Slightly gimmicky but pretty cool on his part too "Here guys, you haven't worked in 20 years, have a pay cheque!" :D

LOL! funny but so true.

I wonder how he will manage to get Sherri into this one.;)
    considering she topped herself
    Flashback Id imagine.

I have to say,part of why I like Zombies work is because they really are spot the cameo fests for horror fans.

• Advertisement

nedtheshed wrote: »
    I wonder how he will manage to get Sherri into this one.;)
    considering she topped herself
    Flashback Id imagine.

She seems, from the trailer, to be appearing as a ghostly vision to Michael urging him to kill....and then go to Camp Crystal Lake.....and whack off to a bunch of teens.....wait, wrong franchise!

Another small update, new still on Arrow In The Head showing scar masked Mikey. Apparently Zombie, according to the article, is really taking his own direction with this and not adhering too much to the Halloween formula, not sure how to feel about this. Changing the plot is fair enough but changing any of the core dynamics that make Halloween what it is, dodgy...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

niallon wrote: »
    Another small update, new still on Arrow In The Head showing scar masked Mikey. Apparently Zombie, according to the article, is really taking his own direction with this and not adhering too much to the Halloween formula, not sure how to feel about this. Changing the plot is fair enough but changing any of the core dynamics that make Halloween what it is, dodgy...

If you wanted to see the original Halloween films, why not get 'em on DVD? If we have to have new films under the same old franchises, I'd prefer that they try and do something different with 'em. I get the whole "ZOMG It's betraying the fans" thing, but surely the whole point of rebooting the franchise was that the established fanbase was no longer profitable enough to be worth catering to?

I've no issue with changing around the franchise, but there are some core attributes to Halloween (and all franchises) that have to be retained or esle it is just a rip off. For example, Zombie seems to be downscaling the amount of screen time Mikey's mask gets. Also seems to be bringing in this mother angle too. In all, there's only so much can be changed, otherwise it's not a reboot, just a boot! :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I suppose there is a certain point at which you have to ask whether you've got enough in the new film to justify using a name that's been established by previous films. Difficult to say whether they've crossed that line until we see the film though.

I still haven't gotten around to seeing the first Zombie Halloween movie, but the fact that he's making a sequel to it actually has me more interested in watching it as it gets me thinking that he might have some sort of idea for an overall story to a trilogy of films in the new franchise.

Again, back to the workprint, it clearly shows that
    Zombie wanted to do just the one film and kill of Myers for good
    so it's interesting that he hass continued it on alright, must have a good game plan as you're suggesting Fysh

http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=16787

Yet another incredibly unrevealing clip!

I finally got around to watching Zombie's Halloween - certainly the ending could work either way. I enjoyed the new material a lot more than I expected to considering some of the reviews, so I'm looking forward to H2 out of curiosity of where Zombie wants to go next with this.

Posted a thread about this in the film board but it's proberly more appropriate here.

One of the few remakes which I really liked was Rob Zombie's Halloween. Rather than simply remake the original Zombie tried to do something diferent. The upcomign sequel has been shaping up quite nicely though till now all the pictures released have been rather bland but now we have this rather odd and pretty awesome looking pic which reminds me a lot of the masks in part 3.

earl.jpg

And heres the theatrical poster.
    H2_11poster.jpg

Nice going Darko, best update in a long time. As I said over in Film, thank christ he's finally gone with Halloween II instead of H2. Amazing how something as subtle as a title change can alter how much interest I have in this film! :D

• Advertisement

http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=17092

Slightly old update but here's another image, this time the fantastic Brad Dourif reprising his role as Brackett. Also interesting is in the article where Zombie mentions the initial compilation cut clocked in at 4 hours! Now apparently he has it down to just under 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

This is the latest trailer:

Definitely looking better with each trailer, loks like that very promising set up at the end of Halloween 4 is being properly explored by Zombie. Still though, Michael shouldn't have a face, get him a new mask!!!

I like that Zombie seems to be exploring the supernatural element of michael and isn't just giving us another generic stalk and slash.

"Leaked" trailer now online, supposedly not meant to see the light of day. Not much different but what is different reveals a little more plot, not too shabby!

http://www.filmshaft.com/leaked-halloween-ii-trailer/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Rob should just stick to the music!!!

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    Rob should just stick to the music!!!

From 3 films he has shown that he is a talented writer and director. You can't really judge House of 1,000 Corpses as his original cut was butchered by the studio and over 30 minutes was destroyed. Devil's Rejects is one of the best genre films of many years and managed to be the grindhouse film Tarantino tried so desperately to make with Grindhouse.

Halloween was an interesting choice for Zombie as he had stated that eh did not want to remake the original and if you watch his cut of the film that is the case. While the second half of the film is identical to the original this is down tot he studio and not Zombie. He realised that if he did'nt give in to some of the studios demands they would simply re-shoot the film or cut it to ribbons to get the desired effect.

To me Zombie is exactly what the American studio driver horror system needs. He's not afraid to take risks and isn't going to turn in some generic, cliched, PG13 slasher film.

Now if only someone would finance his version of the Crow, the script is one of the true great unproduced masterpieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

'Now if only someone would finance his version of the Crow, the script is one of the true great unproduced masterpieces.'

Yeah I know he is very talented and all the props etc were all designed by him, I really didnt know he had a version of the Crow, One of the all time great movies - must look into it!!!

Just wish he would write another album Like - Astro Creep 2000:D

Now if only someone would finance his version of the Crow, the script is one of the true great unproduced masterpieces.

Link plz? It's a source of constant surprise to me that barring the first one all the Crow films have been utter dreck, given the potential present in the material...

On a separate Zombie-related note, who else is looking forward to The Haunted World of El Superbeasto?

• Advertisement

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    'Now if only someone would finance his version of the Crow, the script is one of the true great unproduced masterpieces.'

Yeah I know he is very talented and all the props etc were all designed by him, I really didnt know he had a version of the Crow, One of the all time great movies - must look into it!!!

Just wish he would write another album Like - Astro Creep 2000:D
    Fysh wrote: »
    Link plz? It's a source of constant surprise to me that barring the first one all the Crow films have been utter dreck, given the potential present in the material...

On a separate Zombie-related note, who else is looking forward to The Haunted World of El Superbeasto?

Here's The Crow: 2037 script.

El Superbeasto is shaping up quite nicely. About bloody time though, it's been having it's release date changed for a number of years now. It's upcoming release has given me some hope for Conan Red Nails which has been in post production for years.

Advertisement