Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting a tree on Killiney hill?

Options
  • 29-04-2009 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi,

I would like to plant a tree on Killiney hill. I've been living in the area for 12 years and I am moving home to meath and I'd like to plant a tree up there.....just as a memory.....spent many evenings walking up there....

Do i need to ask permission from anyone?

MG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I'm sure you need to apply to the council who will forbid it. Why not just do it and say nothing. I presume you mean a small 12 inch high tree.
    Meathgirl wrote: »
    Hi,

I would like to plant a tree on Killiney hill. I've been living in the area for 12 years and I am moving home to meath and I'd like to plant a tree up there.....just as a memory.....spent many evenings walking up there....

Do i need to ask permission from anyone?

MG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'd do the same, just bung a tree in and see what happens.

where were you thinking, by the car parks or somewhere a bit more secluded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lightbringer

Yes you do! But you could pm me and more can be explained!

Generally unauthorised tree planting is not allowed for 2 reasons! People tendto plant in the wrong place or the wrong or non native species of tree is planted and they get removed and they do!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

The council don't own the land, as much as they try convince you of that :rolleyes:

The land belongs to earth, and all that is on it. If' it's public land and your doing natures work where you are not harming or obstructing anyone elses freedom, you are in your perfect right to plant a tree.

I do all the time. The council haven't said anything to me. But if I asked to plant a tree on the road side they would probably get into major issues about it. It's authority, they would say no because it's good for authority to say no.

Seriously girl, go for it :D

Be creative as you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 misslolapants

You need permission from them to plant it. I wouldn't. I know someone having a tree planted in their memory, which they're aware of but to just dump a tree there cos you walk there is a bit stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Meathgirl

Thanks guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I could see no harm planting something that would blend in with the surrounding area. If you plant something unusual it is obviously going to stick out and either members of the public or the park attendants would remove it. I would go up at night with a trowel and say nothing. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

If you're going to do this you should make sure its a natice Irish species. Dont plant a leylandii or something stupid like that. Oak, ash, a native birch or a yew for example, be aware that if you buy in garden centre that you actually buy a home grown native and not an imported variety of the species.

Also see if there is any evidence of underground services, water, esb, ntl etc as the roots will destroy these - and if they do someone will just come along and cut your tree down. You should also try and plant a few metres away from any paths to avoid causing issues with roots disturbing the path surface.

If you ask the council they will just tell you no - not out of spite but because for every person that wants to plant a tree there is another person who wants a bit of open ground to sit on, how do you know the spot you pick to plant on isnt where someone goes to sit every day and say a prayer? ;)

You need permission from them to plant it. I wouldn't. I know someone having a tree planted in their memory, which they're aware of but to just dump a tree there cos you walk there is a bit stupid.

A tree being planted in a forest is stupid? What an odd thought.

Go for it OP, sure what's the worst than can happen. A bit more oxegen will do us all good!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Great post mysterious. :)

Seems like a really nice idea.. Go for it and see what happens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement