Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco bag-packers sent home for wearing GAA kits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Apparently Tesco has now banned all charity bag packers from wearing sports tops in Northern Ireland.

Herald Article
    TESCO has announced that it will no longer permit charity bag packers to wear sporting tops in its Northern Ireland stores following the furore over GAA shirts being worn by kids at its Antrim outlet.
    The store was forced to ask members of a local GAA club to remove their club strip and continue their bag packing in plain T-shirts after “vociferous” complaints from customers.
    The store’s policy had been to ask that groups wear their uniforms and clearly display the name of their organisation on their collection tins “so that customers will know the organisation for which they are collecting”.
    But the supermarket giant has performed a U-turn on its policy, saying that anyone from a local sports organisation taking part in bag packing in future will no longer be allowed to wear their club colours. A spokesperson for Tesco said the new policy would only affect stores in the North.
    Local SDLP Assembly member Thomas Burns described Tesco’s decision as “regrettable”, adding: “Tesco should have stuck by their guns and not wobbled because of a handful of complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

At least Tesco have standardised their policy throughout NI which is a good thing. I would prefer if they would ban all bag packers instead.

As a neo unionist I have no problems with people wearing GAA jerseys etc. People should get over themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Now everyone loses, ffs. Wouldn't mind but those plebs that coplained probably have no involvement with any sports clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

TESCO has announced that it will no longer permit charity bag packers to wear sporting tops in its Northern Ireland stores following the furore over GAA shirts being worn by kids at its Antrim outlet.
    The store was forced to ask members of a local GAA club to remove their club strip and continue their bag packing in plain T-shirts after “vociferous” complaints from customers.
    The store’s policy had been to ask that groups wear their uniforms and clearly display the name of their organisation on their collection tins “so that customers will know the organisation for which they are collecting”.
    How were Tesco FORCED to tell children go home?
    Did somebody put a gun to the head of the Manager?
    Did somebody have a bomb that would be detonated if these kids were allowed to remain on the premises in their jersies?

The simple fact of the matter is that Tesco very quickly gave in to bigotry.

There is NO EXCUSE for this whatsover.
    There is no what if it was Celtic/Rangers jersies, Orange/GAA way of looking at this; bitter bigotry forced children to hide the colours worn in pursuit of healthy and worthwhile activites. Tesco rolled over in the face of stupid, blind hatred, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Indeed Tesco caved in on this one too easily. If they had simply held the line and said that they appreciated the customer concern but that legislation prevented them discriminating etc then this would have been storm in a teacup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

ardmacha wrote: »
    Exactly. The principle of the GAA that people belong to a place, and that place is part of a county and ultimately the country. This is inclusive of everyone, it does not ask you where you came from or who your ancestors were, but if you live somewhere it brings you together with your neighbours, albeit in friendly rivalry with those living in the next place. It is the antithesis of NI sectarianism which divides people into sectarian communities which look to similar communities in Glasgow rather than those in their own neighbourhood.

Hold on, this is the GAA having its cake and eating it too.

You cannot be a politicised organisation (in this case promoting a version of Celtic Irishness) that plays sports and simultaniously be popular with the unionist community. Does Ireland need a "cultural nationalist" movement disguised as a sports organisation in 2009. If the answer is yes, the unfortunatly you will have unionist hostility that will occasionally spill over with bile like this.

What happened in Tesco was ludicrious, if you don't like the GAA, dont donate. Any action beyond that is bigotry. But its galling to see the GAA all offended here with their previous when it comes to targetting people on the basis of their sporting affinity. The reality is there are still GAA men whose mentality is eerily close to the Antrim mindet.

Whats the moral difference between complaining about a 12 year old girl in a GAA shirt and members of the GAA spreading broken glass on a football (soccer) pitch in Kerry to maim 12 year olds? Or going to the High Court with the stated intention of killing a football club in Tallaght?

Bigotry is bigotry, and if you are offended by this, but support what happened in Castlemaine last month, you are a hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

getcover wrote: »
    How were Tesco FORCED to tell children go home?
    Did somebody put a gun to the head of the Manager?
    Did somebody have a bomb that would be detonated if these kids were allowed to remain on the premises in their jersies?

The simple fact of the matter is that Tesco very quickly gave in to bigotry.

There is NO EXCUSE for this whatsover.
    There is no what if it was Celtic/Rangers jersies, Orange/GAA way of looking at this; bitter bigotry forced children to hide the colours worn in pursuit of healthy and worthwhile activites. Tesco rolled over in the face of stupid, blind hatred, nothing more.

Not quite fair. The store manager gave permission to the GAA club in the first place.

The duty manager on the Sunday caved into the complaints.

Ironically, the fire and brimstone Free P types who kicked up a fuss shouldn't have been near the place on a Sunday.

Whats the moral difference between complaining about a 12 year old girl in a GAA shirt and members of the GAA spreading broken glass on a football (soccer) pitch in Kerry to maim 12 year olds? Or going to the High Court with the stated intention of killing a football club in Tallaght?

Bigotry is bigotry, and if you are offended by this, but support what happened in Castlemaine last month, you are a hypocrite.

Does anyone support the spreading of glass on a pitch. This is clearly even worse and is pure vandalism and has nothing to do with the GAA.

Going to court to ensure that publicly funded stadia are multi-sport rather than devoted to one sport only has nothing to do with bigotry. Whether you think it was wise or not, it is concerned with the equitable distribution of public resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Tesco need to redeem them selves..

That's two blatant act's of discrimination against "Irishness" in quick succession..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I'm a Brit myself, so I probably shouldn't be sticking my oar in on this, but it's just so bloody petty.
    A large section of this community, including one i know who is a Protestant himself, find Orange parades highly offensive. I doubt this U.U councillor gives too much of a damn what they think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Not saying that it didn't happen - but could you link to that glass on the soccer pitch thing?

The stated intention of killing a soccer club?? - Go on- back that up aswell. And while you're at it explain why the government has had to bail out a soccer club - building a stadium for them FOC (50% of advertising is nothing in real terms)? (Wikipedia).

And I'm glad I don't support what happened in Castlemaine:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭daithi666

junder wrote: »
    Most business in northern Ireland have to promote a neutral environment so all football/GAA tops are banned. However some stores take it to far last year TK max banned the wearing of poppys. However for the whingers amoung you its a good idea to cheack your facts before launching into MOPE mode

How is TK Max taking it too far? I absolutely agree with that decision! Poppies support troops maimed involved in the occupation of other countries and troops gone past who terrorised our own communities on this island. The poppy is one of the most political symbols in my opinion. Was it not for that reason that Jon Snow refused to wear one while broadcasting a few years ago? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6134906.stm Keep the wearing of it to your private life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

IIMII wrote: »
    I'll let Tom Humpreys cover that
    Rugby union is played in almost every major European country at an amateur level. GAA isn't. There are 90 countries who are in the world rankings playing FIRA and IRB competitions and all get a chance to compete and qualify for the RWC. People like Tom Humphreys are the very kind who stoke the 'us and them' when it comes to sport and/or class. Like dicks who wear Celtic or Rangers shirts to make a statement or cling to some abject and vacuous 'identity'.
    He's got an agenda. So do the people who apparently objected to GAA shirts being worn by kids. I'm sure some plastic republicans will hijack this incident and use it to their own. Like the people who abused a protestant who played the game up there to the point that he quit playing.

Rugby union is played in almost every major European country at an amateur level. GAA isn't.

I think you'll find you're incorrect there. GAA is played worldwide. I was at work years ago and got talking to an American, with no Irish roots, who played hurling in Philadelphia! I've also seen French hurlers from Toulouse. The difference between rugby and GAA is money. Obviously, GAA can't put as much resources behind the games as can rugby but it has done amazingly well considering!

http://gaa.ie/page/gaa_abroad.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

daithi666 wrote: »
    How is TK Max taking it too far? I absolutely agree with that decision! Poppies support troops maimed involved in the occupation of other countries and troops gone past who terrorised our own communities on this island. The poppy is one of the most political symbols in my opinion. Was it not for that reason that Jon Snow refused to wear one while broadcasting a few years ago? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6134906.stm Keep the wearing of it to your private life.

and yet its ok to name GAA grounds, teams and tropheys after dead terroists? By the way there is a good chance that some of the money raised by the British legion with the sale of the poppies will be going to help the familes of the two soldiers murderd by republicans recently

By the way there is a good chance that some of the money raised by the British legion with the sale of the poppies will be going to help the familes of the two soldiers murderd by republicans recently

it is precisely because poppies are used to fund the relative of deceased members of the British army, but not the relatives of those killed by the British army that makes them a political symbol which is quite a different situation from the present discussion.

Is it acceptable to name teams and stadia after monarchs like Victoria whose armies massacred tens of thousands?

Or for stadia named after people who fought against the British, in what way is a George Washington stadium different from a Casement stadium? Would a baseball team been unacceptable because there are teams and stadia named after George Washington.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Did you ever hear the likes?!!! Ridiculous!

Some people still want us to link up with this crowd up North! They are the people being ridiculous! Ignore them and they might go away or until such a time when they have grown up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

I think you'll find you're incorrect there. GAA is played worldwide. I was at work years ago and got talking to an American, with no Irish roots, who played hurling in Philadelphia! I've also seen French hurlers from Toulouse. The difference between rugby and GAA is money. Obviously, GAA can't put as much resources behind the games as can rugby but it has done amazingly well considering!

http://gaa.ie/page/gaa_abroad.html

Great, thats two countries. The (eastern) States and SW France. Good luck to those teams in their world cup efforts so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Great, thats two countries. The (eastern) States and SW France. Good luck to those teams in their world cup efforts so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurling_outside_Ireland

How well do you think they'd do in a world cup at the moment? Maybe that is why there isn't one. Might be better off playing teams of similar skills before they go up against the country that created the game and has been playing it for generations.

junder wrote: »
    and yet its ok to name GAA grounds, teams and tropheys after dead terroists? By the way there is a good chance that some of the money raised by the British legion with the sale of the poppies will be going to help the familes of the two soldiers murderd by republicans recently

Well, that depends on how you see it. I don't see them as terrorists. I see them in much the same light as I view Nelson Mandela.

If the money goes to the families that's fair enough. All, I'm saying is that the poppy should not be worn in the line of work with the public as it is a political symbol. GAA is not a political symbol. GAA have invited protestants to join the games and create a team if they wish. I'd welcome that too.

• Advertisement

Well, had you clicked on my link you'll find there's far more.... They're only two examples of foreign nationals I've met playing GAA abroad.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

ardmacha wrote: »
    So Tesco can discriminate against groups of people depending on what part of town they are in? If the bag packers come from the area served by the shop then they should be able to expect the same treatment as anyone else (even if bag packers are a nuisance).

No, but if it was the case, Tesco should have realised that allowing the bag packers would be inflammatory. I don't agree with the idea of letting people stand over rights such as equality and free speech if the effect of it is going to be aggravating others. If it wasn't the case then that's that, but there may well be more to this story than appears in the papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

All, I'm saying is that the poppy should not be worn in the line of work with the public as it is a political symbol.
    its not a political symbol...its a charity which distributes to those of all creeds and political opinions. Many people gave their lives, for examople in WW2, so you and I have a decent quality of life.

Bag packers are often a nuisance etc, many people do not like them. The GAA is a well off sporting organisation , it should not have to send children collecting money like that, and in the eyes of many in N. Ireland some of its GAA grounds etc are named after dead terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I would see the GAA collecting in their uniforms much the same as I might if a loyalist marching band was collecting in their uniform.

Most people in such bands will argue that the political element is secondary, they enjoy the music, the craic, belonging to something.

The fact is that both organisations are offensive to those outside of them. They appeal exclusively to one side of the community. They have glamourised terrorists in the past. In spite of this, there are decent people in both and it can be argued that they do good work in their respective communities.

I still think that neither should be allowed to wear their uniform at supermarket tills.

jimmmy wrote: »
    its not a political symbol...its a charity which distributes to those of all creeds and political opinions. Many people gave their lives, for examople in WW2, so you and I have a decent quality of life.

All persons of creeds and political opinions who fight for one particular army with one objective, one politic.... A charity it may be but one with a very narrow focus. As for quality of life post WW2, that's debatable. Unfortunately, Hitler gave Britain plenty of smoke screen for its objectives regards the balance of power in Europe and indeed further afield...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

No, but if it was the case, Tesco should have realised that allowing the bag packers would be inflammatory.

I think that we're losing a sense of proportion. We're talking about this:
    InishGAA.jpg

We're not talking about this:
    422314_050728gal_ira7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

in the eyes of many in N. Ireland some of its GAA grounds etc are named after dead terrorists.

Can't leave it lie, can you?

If the GAA are against terrorism why name your grounds after dead terrorists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

I would see the GAA collecting in their uniforms much the same as I might if a loyalist marching band was collecting in their uniform.

Most people in such bands will argue that the political element is secondary, they enjoy the music, the craic, belonging to something.

The fact is that both organisations are offensive to those outside of them. They appeal exclusively to one side of the community. They have glamourised terrorists in the past. In spite of this, there are decent people in both and it can be argued that they do good work in their respective communities.

I still think that neither should be allowed to wear their uniform at supermarket tills.

Agreed. Many people are happy to pack their own bags, if they are buying enough to fill a bag or bags. Charity donations should be outside the business premises.

• Advertisement

Agreed. Many people are happy to pack their own bags, if they are buying enough to fill a bag or bags. Charity donations should be outside the business premises.
    Agreed.

Advertisement